584,860 active members*
5,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Membrane panel, keys not working / stick osp700

Membrane panel, keys not working / stick osp700

Is there a fix or replacement for the number and letter keys on the osp 700L control. I hear alot about Okuma quality, but I have not been impressed with the quality of the electronics. The new keypad is supposed to be about $3000 from what I am told. I also just had an encoder go out for another $2100.

My oldest Haas machine is 5 years older than the Okuma and have never had a keypad problem. I have had to replace an encoder on the Haas machines but they are about $200. I know it is a premium absolute encoder, I guess I am just wondering if it is worth the additional headaches buying these machines. I get better response from the Haas service department also.

is there a fix or replacement for the number and letter keys on the osp 700L control
    You can fix, You can replace.
    If operator uses hard tool to press the button, nothing helps. There are alot of old Okumas with no panel problem

You can fix, You can replace.
    If operator uses hard tool to press the button, nothing helps. There are alot of old Okumas with no panel problem

I have been the only owner of all of my machines and the only one pushing the keys. It just seems there is a difference in the longevity of these electronic parts.

If you can tell me how to repair the membrane buttons I would be very grateful.

and the only one pushing the keys
    with some non-organic material? no offense, but I don't believe it's possible to destroy the plastic by human fingertip.
    how to repair the membrane buttons
    the fact You rise a question tells, that You better find an electrician. The solution depends - maybe You'll get new keyboard, maybe You will use PC keyboard. New membrane panel is the best.
    like this:
    http://www.lemona.lt/pview.php?img=/LIUSE/Images/AK-1604_4x4.JPG
    this company
    http://www.visalietuva.lt/en/imones/info/boplalit-uab?ip=7
    offers production of custom membrane keypad

with some non-organic material? no offense, but I don't believe it's possible to destroy the plastic by human fingertip.

I dont think I ever said the plastic was destroyed, the plastic is in great shape. It is the switch behind the membrane that is the problem. It is a poor design that would allow these switches to fail with so little use. Maybe a couple of thousand cycles on each button that is going out. And the only thing that has ever pushed any of these buttons is a fingertip. Do you work for okuma? You seem pretty defensive of this problem I am having. I have been pretty happy with the machine but the cost of repairs and the poor quality of the components that are failing makes me question purchasing a new Okuma.

Quote Originally Posted by emxaler View Post

I dont think I ever said the plastic was destroyed, the plastic is in great shape. It is the switch behind the membrane that is the problem. It is a poor design that would allow these switches to fail with so little use. Maybe a couple of thousand cycles on each button that is going out. And the only thing that has ever pushed any of these buttons is a fingertip. Do you work for okuma? You seem pretty defensive of this problem I am having. I have been pretty happy with the machine but the cost of repairs and the poor quality of the components that are failing makes me question purchasing a new Okuma.

Okuma is a fine machine-no worries there. Haas, although not as good of quality are very reliable and cheap for parts. Now on to your question. If none of the keys work, I would think a connector or some power source is missing. If its a few or most, then you can get them apart and polish the contacts with an eraser. Its not an easy task. The replacement will come with all new keyboards, and a new LCD. Thats why the high price. Okuma is getting bad about replacement stuff like drives and panels IMO. They used to be very reasonable for exchange parts. I have never changed a Okuma panel yet from bad keys, only bad monitors.

Okuma is a fine machine-no worries there. Haas, although not as good of quality are very reliable and cheap for parts. Now on to your question. If none of the keys work, I would think a connector or some power source is missing. If its a few or most, then you can get them apart and polish the contacts with an eraser. Its not an easy task. The replacement will come with all new keyboards, and a new LCD. Thats why the high price. Okuma is getting bad about replacement stuff like drives and panels IMO. They used to be very reasonable for exchange parts. I have never changed a Okuma panel yet from bad keys, only bad monitors.

It is only the 10 or 15 keys that get used the most. I will look into splitting the panel to clean, I will have to wait until there is no option because this may lead to my immediate need for the new panel. Right now it is a frustration having to push the key 4 or 5 times to get it to work, then it registers 2 characters. And occasionally running the machine while cycling it will beep like keys being pushed when nobody is around.

Okuma doesn't needs my defense. I'm just trying to help You
    Maybe a couple of thousand cycles on each button that is going out
    If plastic is in good condition, what can happen to membrane? Panel enclosure is water tight, something is wrong there. It's really hard to believe, that internal contact could wear.

If plastic is in good condition, what can happen to membrane? Panel enclosure is water tight, something is wrong there. It's really hard to believe, that internal contact could wear.

My feelings exactly! It is not wet, has not been showered with coolant. But the contact is messed up within the panel after a few thousand cycles. The panel looks new in appearance, it has not had a lot of use.

Wouldn't it be considered a poor design to tie the monitor to the membrane panel on one expensive replacement item. When it could have been 2 separate parts with a more tolerable price to replace. I am disappointed in the parts that I see failing.

i've seen other membrane type keys do this. I just did a HAAS one, but that was only 300 for the keyboard. We change the old Fanuc ones all the time, they are about 60 for the key sheets.
    What i've seen make them fail in the past ( not Okuma, just in general)
    Oil, shops that use cutting oil are very hard on them
    Coolant, some coolants are harder on all the plastics then others
    Temperature- they don't like being cold
    Hard core finger stabbing. Some people use excessive force on them, causing premature failure ( im in no way saying this is your case BTW)
    Forklifts- yes i've seen it twice now. They REALLY don't hold up too well being punched through with a forklift blade.

Yeah, I dont think my short stubby fingers are the culprit. But I do understand the oil and forklift being a detriment to proper key function.

I am just a little ticked at Okuma and my machine, and the $5k in parts I need.

Old post, I know.

We we have a 2K Crown with osp700 control and my business partner has the exact same problem. It makes editing a very labor-is task pressing 1 key at a time and confirming each key press otherwise you could wind up with a pretty big problem or crash.

Seen this before on these machines, imo its a crappy design. Spending that much $$ on a machine and keypad failure make it seem and feel pretty cheap.

Good luck..

Membrane Panel

Are you referring to the lower operator panel or the alpha keypad? I have never had to replace any of the switches in the alpha keypad, but have had to replace the reset button dozens of times, along with spindle stop, jog, sometimes one of the jog buttons, etc. I don't know for sure if the alpha keypad uses the same button beind the membrane as the reset and other ones on the lower op. panel, but we sell those switches separately. If you need to discuss further, just e-mail me at [email protected]