584,862 active members*
5,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What tools do you need to be a machinist?
Page 6 of 8 45678
    It might be worth considering if you are applying for work in Tehran...

DP

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Where do you draw the line of judging people by their looks rather than what they can do? Style over substance? You're 17, don't start off by joining sdcnc in arrogance and predudice. Start off with an open mind, willing to learn from all sorts of people.
    Excellent point, extanker.

One thing about this trade, Aussiefab; you never stop learning, and it's a small, small world. (Yeah, that was two things, oh well.)

Don't be surprised when some dirt-bag with long, ratty hair, yellow teeth, a pack of Marlboros in his pocket and a craftsman toolbox covered with stickers about everything from American pride to jet planes to cars to sports teams to nekked women (or nekked men, I've seen it inside the lid a chick's toolbox!) to tool and machine manufacturers to beer logos comes in one day and makes more parts faster and more accurately than most people could.

The longer you're doing this the more you'll understand: It really does take all kinds. Great machining talent can come in the least expected package and terrible machining talent might roll in with a Kennedy Condo filled with the most expensive tools and the most clean cut guy you'd ever see.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoCNC View Post
    You have nothing to add to the conversation, do you? Just wasting time talking trash, huh?
    big deal that you've paid your way and weren't feed with a silver spoon , i find great difficulty in believing that anyone who has to smash knuckles , get cut up and god who knows what else to make a living has been fed with a silver spoon .
    I just think your talking thru your ass , you've insulted everyone who disagrees with you , I looked at your website and did some reading , I find it interesting that you've " had " a " start up" shop
    you talk a big game that your not even playing
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    big deal that you've paid your way and weren't feed with a silver spoon , i find great difficulty in believing that anyone who has to smash knuckles , get cut up and god who knows what else to make a living has been fed with a silver spoon .
    I just think your talking thru your ass , you've insulted everyone who disagrees with you , I looked at your website and did some reading , I find it interesting that you've " had " a " start up" shop
    you talk a big game that your not even playing

You obviously don't pay attention. As I've stated before, the website is just one of the things I do. I also work for a large manufacturer here as a multi-axis machinist. What do you do besides talk trash?

This is the type of machine I run (see jpg)... what do you run?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZT 1500 YB.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Come on aussiefab. What if they are just big fans of whatever stickers they have? Sports team stickers OK but not cars? Where do you draw the line of judging people by their looks rather than what they can do? Style over substance? You're 17, don't start off by joining sdcnc in arrogance and predudice. Start off with an open mind, willing to learn from all sorts of people.
    yeh i can see what you mean, the way i put it isn't right

you cant judge a bloke by his box, but you can get a feel for him and what hes about. in terms of how serious they are about their job you have to wait and observe

again, i have got a really open mind and everything i hear about machine shop life is different, i'll be back to contribute in 40 years haha

Quote Originally Posted by cncnitro View Post
    Should I remove those from my box?
    No

Leave em, anyone who judges you can take their complaints and shove em where the sun dont shine

wow , does that have one of them real bilt in computr an butons on it ,
    It doesn't matter what I run , I've got nothing to prove , I'm just a guy who goes to work to designs program and fixtures parts for production , and measure it all with the mix of chinese japanese , americanese tooling that i keep in so called cheap toolboxes
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Talking

You obviously don't pay attention. As I've stated before, the website is just one of the things I do. I also work for a large manufacturer here as a multi-axis machinist. What do you do besides talk trash?

For someone who couldn't make his own company work, you sure have a lot of nerve to try to put down other people while trying to put yourself above them.

There haven't been many people here lately that have had to prop themselves up like you have. GG!

Oh, and don't be too surprised when someone comes by and kicks that soap-box out from under you then LOLs when you fall flat on your keester.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    For someone who couldn't make his own company work, you sure have a lot of nerve to try to put down other people while trying to put yourself above them.

There haven't been many people here lately that have had to prop themselves up like you have. GG!

Oh, and don't be too surprised when someone comes by and kicks that soap-box out from under you then LOLs when you fall flat on your keester.

Look, I get trash talked to me a lot on this forum, including from you. Yet, you seem to have some sort of fetish for me by only taking me to task for any 'infractions'. No one else gets reprimanded. That's biased and unfair. But then again, you're a trade rag writer for bikes. Why should I expect anything different from you?

Woowwww Time Out guys

I can make lenses with nothing but my bare hands and some pitch (yep, that's pitch as in the tar stuff that comes from trees).

1/20th of a wavelength of light is the best I can make. No tool box required, just craftsmanship, blood, sweat and occasionally tears lol.

Newton used the same manufacturing techniques and I've seen his stuff at the Natural History Museum in London- it's very simialar to what I did (we've improved a bit since then though). He used to use a cannon ball as a convex surface to grind a converse concave surface!

However, if I was to be asked to, I dunno, repair a helicopter I'd probably need everything compertmentalised in case a nut or bolt got lost on the flight deck and stopped a pedal or lever from working. I knew a guy who used to do this and every nut and bolt had to be accounted for in case of such an eventuality.

Horses for courses
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Well, You`ll want to start out with a nice tool box. First impression is everything! If you enjoy woodworking, you may want to even build your own that way you can really show how much pride you take in your work. There are many nice plans out there. Here`s a link where you might get some ideas.

WWW.MACHINISTCHEST.COM

do you guys actually get anything done
    forget the box and put your tools in a cupboard who cares just get the job done

"Yes, I would like you to come in for an interview. Don't forget to wear a suit and bring pictures of your toolbox."

Sorry, but in the real world, there are about 50 thousand other things more important to me as a business owner then what brand of tool box a guy has. Theif / lazy bum / drug problems / space cadet / zero attention span etc etc etc.

Besides- if they can make decent parts with CRAP equipment- imagine what that person can do properly equipped. Perhaps there's even some value to be had in hiring the cheap tool box guy

You're telling me that I'm the greatest machinist you've ever met and that one day, after much effort, maybe... just maybe... you can be just like me.

I'm 20 years old, have three craftsman toolboxes (roller, middle, and top) and it's full of Mitutoyo mics, (1-6 inches), Starrett dial calipers, Brown & Sharpe 1 2 3 blocks, Interapid dial test indicators (.0005 and .0001) and various other high end tools.

Also, it is COVERED, inside and out, with stickers.

I know Haas, Okuma, and Makino machines, and have changed spindles on the Haas.

I know WorkNC inside and out and can change environment settings, make new posts and have cut anything thrown my way.

I know CAMTOOL, a very high end japanese software.

Is my choice of box a reflection of my skills and tools?
    You tell me.

I'm 51 (soon) and have been in machining since I graduated from a 4-year vocational high school program for toolmakers. When I went there, they had just gotten their first "G code" type CNC, a 1st generation Series II Bridgeport.

This is my toolbox, sitting in my now-retired dad's home shop because I now have a job in the machining business where I don't need it. so now SanDiegoCNC can judge my skill level:

And that's just some of the measuring tools. The hand tools and cutting tools are in other Kennedy roll-around boxes. Now I realize you wouldn't hire me because I covered my box with magnetic stickers from all kinds of tool companies and a few others. And, who's to say that I'm not one of those guys who "can't measure his way out of a wet paper bag" even though I've got quite a collection?

Just one tool

An engineering ball peen hammer.

A butcher tries to use a ball peen hammer to repair a fob watch.
    A master butcher uses a ball peen hammer to successfully repair a fob watch.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    An engineering ball peen hammer.

A butcher tries to use a ball peen hammer to repair a fob watch.
    A master butcher uses a ball peen hammer to successfully repair a fob watch.

Cheers

Thank you. Best part of my day. I think I need to buy a new hammer in the morning.

DIFF, do not buy a claw hammer from somewhere in Asia.LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Wow, I haven't been here for quite a while. Such hostility.

Well, 29 years ago when I started on this little machining odyssey, I bought a Snap On box. Then I figured I didn't need a $1000 box in 1981, so I sold it and bought a Craftsman bottom, Kennedy top combo. I used to work with some guys that were having the toolbox wars, in a race car fab shop, and they ended up with the $10,000 Snap On boxes that you had to buy the step stool to see into the top compartment. Right now, I'm using a piece of crap Home Depot lower, a Proto middle and some cheese ass top box. But inside is where I put my money. Mitutoyo, Starrett, Interapid, Mahr, Brown & Sharpe, Suburban Machinery and a set of Chinese 2-4-6 blocks that are within .0002 tenths all over, go figure. Other than those, which cost more to ship than to buy, everything is the best that I know of. At home, I've got a 9 drawer dresser, because I'd rather buy some tooling (I've got a mill and lathe at home) than a pretty box, that I keep my stuff in. It works for me.

As far as tools go, I don't think I'll ever be done buying things, it's sort of an obsessive/compulsive thing with me.

As far as the guys with the wood Gerstners, and stuff like that, more power to you, but I've got other things I need to buy, motorcycle tires and whatnot.

I went with Kennedy boxes because I'm a little anal and wanted a uniform look. Only the top 52611 was bought new, and I got quite a bargain @ $274 delivered. The middle 2-drawer was $60, the bottom roll-around was $300, both from Craigslist.

I also had an incident at a place I worked where someone on the off-shift needed a tool and found his worn key opened my top box. Not wanting to have to search for my tools, the Kennedy boxes allowed me to re-key them all to a single cylinder-type key. Now if someone wants in, they'd have to get serious about it.

Ironically, the boxes now remain unlocked at dad's shop.

I agree that it's what's inside that counts....to a degree. I worked with one fellow who was using El Cheapo boxes to cart around some expensive stuff. Moving it around the shop one day, the roll-around just collapsed completely. A wheel gave out, but with so much weight the sides split.

I can agree wholeheartedly that in this business, the equipment list is endless! Just light night I snagged a matching tailstock for the 8" rotary table dad has. The shipping was far more than the unit, but the real issue was: He's owned the rotary table for 8 years and its never been out of the box. Why did I feel a need to buy the tailstock for it?

Page 6 of 8 45678