585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where can I learn?

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a programming course right now dealing with programming simple parts to be a machined with g codes, m codes, etc. I didn't pay enough attention in class because I thought it was going to be very simple (bad, I know) and now I need to catch up.

Just wondering if anyone could direct me to some good learning sources, I need extreme basics like what radius compensation is and when/where/how to use it, the material provided online by my instructor is insufficient.

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

The NIST RS274/NGC Interpreter

Here's a link to the programmer's reference.

Just remember, you are creating a text file with a finite set of commands that are read, interpreted and executed by the machine you are trying to control.

http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personne...4NGC_3TOC.html

~John

Ryan,

I'm going to say some things you won't like. Your job is going to be to own what I say unless I'm completely off base. By "owning" them, you will change how you look at important things in your life.

"I didn't pay enough attention in class because I thought it was going to be very simple."

You are someone that just wants to slip by with the least amount of effort. You might be smart or you just may be lazy. Only you know. If you are:

18-years old: It's OK, that's what 18-year old kids do.
    28-years old: Kind of time to get your act in gear. You aren't a kid anymore.
    38-years old: Hopeless. Time past you by 10 years ago.

You already have all the "good learning resources" you need. You squandered them while you were in school. Find your school books and re-learn them.

RySNow, it's a tough world out there. No one cares when you don't try and don't make an effort. The world is full of people like that.

If you are a young guy, make a commitment. If you want CNC to be your world, act like it matters. What you did or didn't do before doesn't matter. You'll be surprised by what effort and commitment brings. It may be the biggest thing that gives you pride. Do it over, learn what you didn't learn before. No one is keeping score on you.

Good luck,

Mariss

Mariss; You phrased it much better than would have done.

Ryan; On the off chance that you are willing to buckle down and work at it, have a look through these threads.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34801

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15358
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I would like to add that many machinists love their jobs and have no problems with teaching younger apprentices. Just don't waste their time and take good notes. Nothing worse than someone asking the same questions all the time when a note would've provided the answer.

Johnohraa, Thanks.

Mariss, get your self-righteous head out of your ass. I'm in my last semester of mechanical engineering and have to take a CNC programming course which will have no bearing to my current position in industry. I AM, and DO buckle down to work, but once in a while people slip up a bit, please forgive my humanity your highness. There are no resources provided by the instructor to learn myself (otherwise i wouldn't be looking here), there isn't even a textbook for the class and are no reference programs(from the class), to learn from. I plan on, and will do well in the class whether I get help here or not.

"RySNow, it's a tough world out there. No one cares when you don't try and don't make an effort. The world is full of people like that."

Mariss, it's a tough world out there and no one cares to listen to life lessons based on half-assed pathetic assumptions. The world is full of people who talk too much.

I don't want, or need, your luck. You stupid ****.

-Ryan

I wish I had your people skills.:-)

Mariss

Well at least we know he is well on his way to becoming an arrogant a**hole of an engineer.

Ryan I feel sorry for you. Now you are an arrogant young know-it-all, however, this is not a satisfying way to go through life. When you have reached my age you will probably be an embittered old man much like many elderly or old men are. Mariss and I are exceptions, we have both found satisfaction in life without feeling the need to denigrate other people; especially the ones who offer constructive criticism.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

A shortcoming of writing is you cannot see a person's face or tone of voice when conversing. What I wrote was subject to those limitations. My comments were intended to be helpful and not unkind.

Like you, I'm an engineer but of the EE persuasion. Geof is right, I'm an older guy; when I graduated with my MS, my education was state of the art in 1970. I knew everything there was to know about designing circuits with vacuum tubes.

I mention this only because engineers have a professional half-life, about 5 years for EEs so self-taught continuing education is an absolute necessity to stay current. I had to learn along the way semiconductor theory, logic circuit design, integrated circuit design, microprocessor assembly language programming and more recently, CPLD and FPGA device application and programming. Not one of those subjects were taught when I was in school because the devices didn't exist.

My comments were meant to address the importance of being self-reliant, resourceful and dedicated to learning. Learning isn't easy and having to do so is a chronic condition when you are a professional. It is made harder by the fact no one is obligated to provide you with the material you need to learn. You have to go out of your way to find information and then with incomplete knowledge, determine if it's worth learning (does it fit your requirement).

This is where having love for what you do is important. The effort of continued education is so great that only love for what you do can supply the dedication required.

Mariss