585,883 active members*
4,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

battery backup

Is there a battery backup for a VMC15 for the cards, because I keep getting a memory error, and have to go in and clear memory and reset all the parameters.

There is a lithium battery on the 1400 CPU board. That is the only battery in the Fadal control.

Neal

Neal,
    What is the proceedure for changing this battery?
    Steve

battery

I think you just take the cpu out and swap the battery then reload the memory as usual.if you have a memory expantion board take it off and then zero the memory and see if it helps,those boards fail a lot and cause memory issues,if you are concerned about the battery take out the cpu and test the voltage the battery looks like a AA battery on the old ones and a round watch style on the new ones.the voltage is listed on the battery,i think the AA one is 3.6 vdc.

Alex,
    Thanks for the info. My battery appears to be the round one and is not giving me any problems, I just felt it might be a good idea to change it as the machine is a 1996 and sat in storage for close to 8 years. I'm sorry but what do you mean by reloading the memory? The cpu is a 1400-4
    Steve

memory

memory as in programs,parameters,offsets and backlash and setto to reset atc.

On a 1400-4 board, there is a battery test button and indicator. (the lower of the two push buttons, top is a reset).

So, I know I can meter the battery but, does a red light indicate "good" or "bad" on the battery test? hmmm
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

We had a 1990 4020 which was sold last week. It still had the original battery with no problems. We bought a replacement battery many years ago but never put it in. Wish the batterys in my cars would do so well lol.

yes vmc15 has a decent battery backup and it can last for 3 days and how old the battery is it will only get discharged and it will work very fine and it will not be out of order