585,763 active members*
4,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sigma II Error A.F1

I have been working on installing a 4th axis on a Milltronics VM17 with cent 6. X, Y, and Z are sigma I on the 4th axis I have a sigma II drive and motor. When I power the machine on every thing works fine. I get a bb on the drive display. When i reset the drive it changes to run. everything works as intended. However when you E stop the machine the drive flashes bb for about a half of second then goes to A.F1 the only way i am able to reset the drive is by restarting the machine. The sigma II is wired with jumpers from the sigma I.

I am wondering if the E stop occurs different on a sigma II as it seems my machine just cuts the power to the Sigma I via a relay on L1 L2 L3.

PS this is a 3 phase 200V drive.
    (SGDH-10AE)

I bought the drive from a reputable service tech. It was sent out to be repaired when i bought it as it was bad. Then I received it, installed the drive for the first time on my machine got the A.f1 fault returned the drive he sent it back in for repairs when installed the 2nd time it has the same issue.

Thanks for your time in advance.
    James

Re: Sigma II Error A.F1

Quote Originally Posted by newman55598 View Post
    I have been working on installing a 4th axis on a Milltronics VM17 with cent 6. X, Y, and Z are sigma I on the 4th axis I have a sigma II drive and motor. When I power the machine on every thing works fine. I get a bb on the drive display. When i reset the drive it changes to run. everything works as intended. However when you E stop the machine the drive flashes bb for about a half of second then goes to A.F1 the only way i am able to reset the drive is by restarting the machine. The sigma II is wired with jumpers from the sigma I.

I am wondering if the E stop occurs different on a sigma II as it seems my machine just cuts the power to the Sigma I via a relay on L1 L2 L3.

PS this is a 3 phase 200V drive.
    (SGDH-10AE)

I bought the drive from a reputable service tech. It was sent out to be repaired when i bought it as it was bad. Then I received it, installed the drive for the first time on my machine got the A.f1 fault returned the drive he sent it back in for repairs when installed the 2nd time it has the same issue.

Thanks for your time in advance.
    James
    As the A.F.1 says that ( 1 ) phase is open, an Estop should not just open ( 1 ) Phase

Check if there is any voltage across the L1 L2 L3 when you do the Estop, a Jumper from one drive to another is not recommended, this is no way to use one of these servo drives, does the control voltage stay live when you do the Estop
    Mactec54

Sigma II Error A.F1

No voltage across L1 L2 L3.

Also tested the relay as the Estop was being pressed and all phases are dropping at the same time as far as I can tell with the voltmeter. I'm not having this issue with the other 3 drives that use the same relay however they are sigma I.

As far as the jumper this is how it was wired from the factory on the other 3 drives.

Yes there is power across L1c L2c when E stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No voltage across L1 L2 L3.

Also tested the relay as the Estop was being pressed and all phases are dropping at the same time as far as I can tell with the voltmeter. I'm not having this issue with the other 3 drives that use the same relay however they are sigma I.

As far as the jumper this is how it was wired from the factory on the other 3 drives.
    You never want to Estop a machine like this unless you have an emergency, ( something really serious going on )

The sigma II are completely different drives, so this may be why this is happening

With not seeing how the wiring has been done, with what you posted, this wiring is not normal and Yaskawa would not approve of them being wired like that

So you could look at the, Servo OFF Stop Mode Selection, you might find that this Parameter needs to be changed

You may be able to do some Parameter changes, under Enabling/Disabling Input Signals
    Mactec54

Attachment 351042

The wiring is per the instructions from the Yaskawa manual. Maybe I should have said piggy backed instead of jumped. Anyway I did some more testing after you mentioned the wiring and as you also mentioned the sigma II being different than the other drives. I isolated the other drives (sigma I) from the contactor and powered up the sigma II, E stop and recover with no problem. Now that i know the drive and the contactor are good that just leaves a possible difference in wire lengths or one of the other drive maybe back feeding for a second. I have also tried it with 2 sets of wires coming out of the contactor one set feeding the sigma I and the other to the Sigma II which makes me think something is back feeding.

Any solutions??

Maybe adding another contactor just for the sigma II??

I did not know that you weren't suppose to use the E stop if it could be avoided. As far as i know that is how Milltronics recommends shutting their machines down. E stop then flip the master disconnect.
    Regardless I would like everything to be working as intended even if it wont be used except in an emergency.

Attachment 351042

The wiring is per the instructions from the Yaskawa manual. Maybe I should have said piggy backed instead of jumped. Anyway I did some more testing after you mentioned the wiring and as you also mentioned the sigma II being different than the other drives. I isolated the other drives (sigma I) from the contactor and powered up the sigma II, E stop and recover with no problem. Now that i know the drive and the contactor are good that just leaves a possible difference in wire lengths or one of the other drive maybe back feeding for a second. I have also tried it with 2 sets of wires coming out of the contactor one set feeding the sigma I and the other to the Sigma II which makes me think something is back feeding.

Any solutions??

Maybe adding another contactor just for the sigma II??

I did not know that you weren't suppose to use the E stop if it could be avoided. As far as i know that is how Milltronics recommends shutting their machines down. E stop then flip the master disconnect.
    Regardless I would like everything to be working as intended even if it wont be used except in an emergency.

Yes that's not jumped from one to the next they all are independent with the L1 L2 L3 fused which they have to be, that's not a true guide it just a rough schematic

There must be some feedback somewhere to do that then, yes put it on it's on circuit

I always use a solid state relay for each drive, one can be used, but it is better if they are independent, where they show the Fuses I use a solid state relay and then MCSB for each drive, most manufactures do it this way, it's also easy to trouble shoot something like what you are having now if done like this

If the Estop is the only main button to shut the machine down, then you have no choice to use it for that purpose

They should have a power up Button and a shut down Button, and when you are machining if you need to stop feed hold should be all you need
    Mactec54