523,859 active members*
2,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Some guitars made with my machine

    I thought I would post here a few guitars I made using my new build FLA machine...I posted the machine on here elsewhere and was asked about what I made and did not want to put these there...Anyway, here they are...The purple one also has binding on the top edge to break off the quilted maple top from the back, and tiger maple neck...They are unrubbed lacquer finish....
    There is also a Stratish type that is unfinished because my son has a sign business and does lettering and airbrush work so he wanted to paint it..Will post that when it is done...

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Those look really nice, Joe. Did you draw them or use ready made files? How about the necks - did you cut these or buy them ready to use? I haven't decided yet which path to take on both the body and neck whenever I get around to doing an electric.

    David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    David,
    The files were purchased..I will not say anything good or bad about them, but you can't put them in your machine and have a guitar come out...It took some work to get to this stage..I did cut the neck also..It is done in Vectric V-Carve pro....The way I did the neck was to put locating holes on the centerline of the drawing, and then toolpath it...After you machine the top, you would then flip it over on your locating holes, and machine the back..This is where sometimes you get into trouble, and whast I mean about the files needing work....I will post some pics here and I think it will show the locating pegs on the neck...Look at the first picture, and it will show one of the locating holes at the bottom of the neck..Then look at the others when it is flipped over and you can see the locating peg in the hole...I hope I explained it well …..I don't know why the pictures are sideways, I can't seem to change them.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1514

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Hi Joerom - I made a couple of necks for a friend and registering the part in the turnover is not easy!! A rotary is on the list for that sort of thing. Peter

    https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...1303486179863/ a practice neck

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Peter,
    I put the rotary on my machine for that purpose but have not used it yet...If you go to Fineline Automation forum you will see it if you have not already.....

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Quote Originally Posted by joerom View Post
    David,
    The files were purchased..I will not say anything good or bad about them, but you can't put them in your machine and have a guitar come out...It took some work to get to this stage..I did cut the neck also..It is done in Vectric V-Carve pro....The way I did the neck was to put locating holes on the centerline of the drawing, and then toolpath it...After you machine the top, you would then flip it over on your locating holes, and machine the back..This is where sometimes you get into trouble, and whast I mean about the files needing work....I will post some pics here and I think it will show the locating pegs on the neck...Look at the first picture, and it will show one of the locating holes at the bottom of the neck..Then look at the others when it is flipped over and you can see the locating peg in the hole...I hope I explained it well …..I don't know why the pictures are sideways, I can't seem to change them.
    Thanks, Joe. That's how I envisioned doing it but have yet to watch any videos or check into it because I'm not ready.

    On the photo rotation, here are some photo posting tips if you’re taking photos with your phone or iPad – the best way for proper orientation is to shoot landscape (widescreen). Rotate your phone or iPad CCW for proper orientation. If you want your photos to be portrait then open the photo in a viewer on your computer, rotate it to the orientation you want, then save it in that orientation. It will be correct when you upload it to the servers here. If you’re shooting video please shoot widescreen like our monitors, not portrait.

    David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    619

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Its always nice to see some finished projects and it does encourage people to persevere with getting their machines running.I've never had to work with guitar components,but I have some experience with second operations on one or two different machines.They key was to use a suitable fixture at a known position and that probably won't be easy to do with Vcarve until you have an .stl file of the fixture.Presumably the files for the components were supplied in .step,.igs or .stl format.and if you can subtract this shape from a solid block in some other program,you should be able to generate a fixture with the mating surface for you parts.The easy way to make it work isn't to toil through the process of offsetting all the surfaces and trimming/joining them.Instead just lie to your tool library about the actual size of the ball end cutter you use.If for example you have a 6mm tool-tell the tool library its actually 5.8mm (best to give it a description that labels it a clearance cutting tool)o r so and the toolpath will have a bit of clearance for the machining cusps.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Like I said, you can't put the files in and expect a guitar to come out..Once you know what is what with the files, it is a simple matter to cut a neck or body...The only fixture I need is a 1/4" dowel...

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    767

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Good to see others making things like guitars.......
    Do you need some dwg or 3D guitar files to machine?
    I have lots of work....
    Been doing this too long

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    bostosh, thanks for the offer, but health issues are forcing me to sell the machine..........

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Good to see others making things like guitars.......
    Do you need some dwg or 3D guitar files to machine?
    I have lots of work....
    Are you offering files?

    David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

  12. #12

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Quote Originally Posted by joerom View Post
    I thought I would post here a few guitars I made using my new build FLA machine...I posted the machine on here elsewhere and was asked about what I made and did not want to put these there...Anyway, here they are...The purple one also has binding on the top edge to break off the quilted maple top from the back, and tiger maple neck...They are unrubbed lacquer finish....
    There is also a Stratish type that is unfinished because my son has a sign business and does lettering and airbrush work so he wanted to paint it..Will post that when it is done...
    Looks beautiful and special.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    This will be my last guitar because I have the machine up for sale...It is a one piece quilted maple Strat type that has just the first few coats of lacquer on it...Hoping to finish it in the next couple of weeks.....Attachment 445240Attachment 445242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1231 (2).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	445244

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Gorgeous piece of wood! I'm sure the guitar is going to be a fine one, too. Are you replacing your CNC? With what, if so?

    David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

  15. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    David,
    My health has been going downhill and I just do not want to do this anymore...The machine is only a few months old....
    Joe

  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    767

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    Why not complete this build ? put it together ?
    Been doing this too long

  17. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40

    Re: Some guitars made with my machine

    I am finishing it..I just do not want to make any more..That is why the machine is for sale......

Similar Threads

  1. cnc machine for guitars question
    By moshe_dol in forum Musical Instrument Design and Construction
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 04:57 AM
  2. New CNC (for guitars) made by Carl Bruce
    By cncguitarz in forum Commercial CNC Wood Routers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
  3. CNC for guitars
    By seansear in forum Musical Instrument Design and Construction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM
  4. Suggestions on how to build cnc machine for guitars
    By dinkyguitar in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 12:04 AM
  5. CNC Guitars
    By Johnny501 in forum Musical Instrument Design and Construction
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 04:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •