584,798 active members*
4,320 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Spindle not orientating following a low RPM operation

Spindle not orientating following a low RPM operation

I've been having a problem with my DM-2 not orientating following a lower RPM tapping operation, but today I had it do the same thing on a drilling operation where my RPM was only 600 rpm.

What happens is the spindle doesn't orientate and then it does a tool change the tool drops because the spindle isn't orientated.

I had already posted this issue a few weeks ago, but now that it appears it has more to do with the RPM verses the tapping operation I figured I would create a fresh new post.

I'm guessing there must be a parameter setting that's causing it not to orientate on a low RPM ?

I don't know what the breaking point is as far as how low the RPM needs to be for this to happen, but I just tried the drilling operation with an RPM of 1,000 and it worked fine..... ( so it must be any RPM lower than that )

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks,

Kent

Re: Spindle not orientating following a low RPM operation

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    I've been having a problem with my DM-2 not orientating following a lower RPM tapping operation, but today I had it do the same thing on a drilling operation where my RPM was only 600 rpm.

What happens is the spindle doesn't orientate and then it does a tool change the tool drops because the spindle isn't orientated.

I had already posted this issue a few weeks ago, but now that it appears it has more to do with the RPM verses the tapping operation I figured I would create a fresh new post.

I'm guessing there must be a parameter setting that's causing it not to orientate on a low RPM ?

I don't know what the breaking point is as far as how low the RPM needs to be for this to happen, but I just tried the drilling operation with an RPM of 1,000 and it worked fine..... ( so it must be any RPM lower than that )

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks,

Kent
    What kind of drilling operation where you doing to need 600RPM?

Spindle orientation should not have anything to do with the speed you have been running at, check the spindle encoder.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What kind of drilling operation where you doing to need 600RPM?

Spindle orientation should not have anything to do with the speed you have been running at, check the spindle encoder.
    I was just using a chamfer tool to go strait down into a hole I had drilled to create a cutout for a screw head.

I realize now that the RPM was too low for this operation.

The machine works flawlessly on all of the tool changes, but only has issues on these low RPM situations.
    I will fix that by making sure I don't put in a low RPM going forward.... but it would be nice to figure out whats causing this glitch.

I called my local haas dealer when this first popped up on a tapping operation ( also at low RPM ) and he had me add a couple of lines of code after the tapping operation that forced the machine to change RPM's before the tool change and the fixed the issue.
    he asked me what version of software I had and he made the comment " that should have been fixed with that version " which left me with the impression that it's a known issue software glitch.

This is the line of code he had me add at the end of the tapping operation that "temporarily" fixed the issue
    S100 M3
    G4 P500

Where it got left was that we were going to have the software reloaded in the machine.... but now after running into this today with a simple drilling operation I'm thinking it may be a parameter setting.

Like I say, I will just make sure all of my RPM's are at least 1,000 going forward and that will fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    I was just using a chamfer tool to go strait down into a hole I had drilled to create a cutout for a screw head.

I realize now that the RPM was too low for this operation.

The machine works flawlessly on all of the tool changes, but only has issues on these low RPM situations.
    I will fix that by making sure I don't put in a low RPM going forward.... but it would be nice to figure out whats causing this glitch.

I called my local haas dealer when this first popped up on a tapping operation ( also at low RPM ) and he had me add a couple of lines of code after the tapping operation that forced the machine to change RPM's before the tool change and the fixed the issue.
    he asked me what version of software I had and he made the comment " that should have been fixed with that version " which left me with the impression that it's a known issue software glitch.

This is the line of code he had me add at the end of the tapping operation that "temporarily" fixed the issue
    S100 M3
    G4 P500

Where it got left was that we were going to have the software reloaded in the machine.... but now after running into this today with a simple drilling operation I'm thinking it may be a parameter setting.

Like I say, I will just make sure all of my RPM's are at least 1,000 going forward and that will fix the issue.
    There was something with rigid tapping that 800 RPM was the slowest speed to be tapping at, so I have never run below that for rigid tapping

Even 1000 RPM, what size Drill where you using at that speed.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There was something with rigid tapping that 800 RPM was the slowest speed to be tapping at, so I have never run below that for rigid tapping

Even 1000 RPM, what size Drill where you using at that speed.
    I am using a 1/4-20 tap in 1/2" thick aluminum. The hole is all the way through