585,708 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Switching Power Supply Stepper Motor

Switching Power Supply Stepper Motor

Hello community.

I would like you to guide me which brands of switched sources are the most reliable, the idea is that it manages to deliver the power that it really says. Can you give me reliable brands?

For example I know the MeanWell brand, I would like to know more alternatives to this brand, or to know if this type of switching sources have some type of certification such as PC sources.

The idea is to buy on any of the pages such as Aliexpress, Alibaba, ebay, etc.

I would be grateful if you could help me. Thanks

Re: Switching Power Supply Stepper Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewxxd1 View Post
    Hello community.

I would like you to guide me which brands of switched sources are the most reliable, the idea is that it manages to deliver the power that it really says. Can you give me reliable brands?

For example I know the MeanWell brand, I would like to know more alternatives to this brand, or to know if this type of switching sources have some type of certification such as PC sources.

The idea is to buy on any of the pages such as Aliexpress, Alibaba, ebay, etc.

I would be grateful if you could help me. Thanks
    If you know the MeanWell brand then stick with it you won't find anything better in a SMPS without spending a lot of money
    Mactec54

Perhaps a more expensive but reliable brand, that comes with some certification, the idea is that it is as close as possible to the power it indicates.

The idea is to have a robustness that a linear power supply has. Some certification such as computer sources

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewxxd1 View Post
    Perhaps a more expensive but reliable brand, that comes with some certification, the idea is that it is as close as possible to the power it indicates.

The idea is to have a robustness that a linear power supply has. Some certification such as computer sources
    That's not going to happen no matter how much you spend, a linear power supply is always superior in terms of robust, but very inefficient alongside a SMPS

The MeanWell output voltage is adjustable so you can output the exact voltage you want and they maintain it very well
    Mactec54

Thanks for answering.

But this type of switching source, in your experience, do they vary their voltage when taking them to the limit? for example if I have a 48V 10A stepper motor, and I get a source with the same characteristics. will there be a voltage drop when taking it to the limit?

Perhaps the solution is to oversize it, but if so, how much would it be necessary to oversize it by 25% or more?

These dimmable switching sources such as MeanWell have some type of certification as well as computer sources ?.

I have Never used a SMPS for any systems I have put together using either steppers or servo's, for one, a regulated supply is not needed, the linear supply of the right construction is virtually bullet proof.
    You may notice that manuf. such as Gecko advise on a linear supply also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.