504,353 active members
4,057 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123
    Registered

is the tormach conversational?

does any one know if you can use a tormach thru some conversational controls?

Registered
    There are some wizards in Mach that come close, but they only do basic jobs like creating circular pockets, facing a part, etc. And because they're written by a bunch of different users, they don't share an interface, scheme, or style.

They're useful, but I would not rely on them on a regular basis. They're too clunky and too limited.

Frederic

Registered

conversational on tormach

thanks txfred for the info..just seems like a daunting task to learn bobcad and bobcam just to make some simple parts

RUawake

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ruawake View Post
    thanks txfred for the info..just seems like a daunting task to learn bobcad and bobcam just to make some simple parts

RUawake
    There is one wizard called NewFangled in the list that actually is pretty reasonable to work with. The interface across modules is fairly uniform, and the output from the modules are combined into a single program. For example, you can cut a pocket, drill several holes, and face the part by running each module in sequence, then saving the entire program.

It is not as nice as other conversational interfaces I have seen on more expensive machines. However, it is usable for me. I think it cost $50 or something along those lines.

Newfangled Solutions LLC - Mach3 Addons for Mill

Kevin

Gold Member

I've used one of the teach mode wizards (can't remember which one) in Mach3 to trace a fairly complex shape and it worked well.
    After tracing the shape with a pointer I manually added compensation for cutter width with G41/G42. (two extra lines)
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Registered

Conversational for Tormach

KipwareM is conversational ... and compatible for Mach3 and Tormach ... and includeas a conversational CAD/CAM SketchPad.

Info : KipwareM Conversational CNC Programming Software for CNC Milling

Registered
    Ruawake,

I'm very new to CNC. Some six years ago I took a set-up course at a local J.C., nothing since then. My first subsequent contact was when I got my 1100 about two months ago. Due to health issues and a heavy work schedule, I can't get in more than 8 or 10 hours per week on the machine. A rather nasty surgery Thursday of this week will keep me off the machine for three more weeks. I can't, for love or money, get a grasp of CAD or CAM. However, "G" code and related instructions are very straight forward, easy to learn, and provide the additional benefit of providing you with a much greater understanding of your part-program. Programing for most 2 1/2 D parts is pretty straight forward. I've made some decent parts using nothing more than G00, G1,2, and 3, G17, G28, G40, 41, 42, 43, and 44, G54, G80, 81, 82, and 83, G90 and 91, along with a few needed M, N, O , F, and S words whose needs will be self-evident. While the list, plus a few commands I've not listed, may, at first glance, seem daunting, they are actually quite easy to employ. Even an old dog such as I can learn a few new tricks, and I'm not even a real machinist - just a hack who machines for fun and relaxation. I've managed to make some useful parts and at present I'm coding an AR lower.

One helpful technique has been to test my code with EZ Wizard's simulator, followed by "air machining", then some scrap wood (machinists wax would be better), and finally, I cut metal. My "CAD" program is a $2.00, 8 1/2"x11" pad of graph paper, a compass, protractor, straight edge, mechanical pencil, and an art gum eraser. Total cost less than $15.00, and it never crashes or requires updating.

I hope this will help. If it seems more like mindless babel, chalk it off to Vicodin and groin surgery (ouch!!).

John

Really, learning some G code, and experimenting is well worth it.
    Set the dwell to a position well above the job or leave no cutter in machine and cut some air for a while. Conversational will be much more learning to do.
    A little basics first will go a long way.
    Read on.. and read the Mach3 manual - section 10 is a good start. 36 pages worth skimming over to get the feel of it.
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Registered
    I have regular conversations with my machine but it ignores me and never answers.

It does seem to get testy when I talk about it's mother's possible canine background.

nitewatchman

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChip View Post
    KipwareM is conversational ... and compatible for Mach3 and Tormach ... and includeas a conversational CAD/CAM SketchPad.

Info : KipwareM Conversational CNC Programming Software for CNC Milling
    I stared at this once. It looks interesting, but there is no demo version. I am not willing to plunk down $500 for software that I have never seen. It also seems pretty expensive given that it appears to do the same steps as NewFangled. I am hopeful it has more features, but that is a $500 assumption I am not willing to make.

They offer a demo online if you make an appointment. I would much rather spend time with it myself. Or at least be able to look through the manual or help file online so I can evaluate if it is something worth buying.

All of the screen shots on their website are low resolution, and not useful in terms of looking at specifics. I wish they would at least put the manual online.

Kevin

Registered

Video?

Did you watch the video available from the webpage?
    KipwareM Conversational CNC Programming Software For Milling - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 123