585,722 active members*
4,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torq Cut 22 Errors

I got my Torq Cut moved in my garage. I was using an 15hp American Rotary AD converter (https://www.americanrotary.com/produ...l-smart-series (My 15hp Baldor motor supplied. It ran a Bridgeport Romi lathe with TECO VFD just fine) to try and power up the machine to bring the Z down some more. Computer came up but had a fuss enabling the drives. Ended up after several attemps, just powering it down (240 single phase was on L1 & L2 with the generated leg on L3). We had to remove the brake in order to get it through the 84" garage door but we got it in.

Once in we tried to power it up again and now have an Estop. I also tried to put a 4 gallon Hitachi compressor to the machine and it never shut down. Air was coming though the spindle. I assume that is the air blast solenoid and not normal?

I saw another thread from 2014 where a fellow with the same machine ended up running it single phase by moving the servo amp power transformer leg from L3 to L2. My machine per the machine tag is a 230V machine

I'm not home right now, (taking care of my sick mom) but will be Sunday. Looking for suggestions and thoughts. Hope Mactec chimes in. Has the Yaskawa Drive control is the Discovery DX-32.
    Also is there a diagnostics page in the software that might help tell me which device is causing the Estop?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and ideas.

Marty

Re: Torq Cut 22 Errors

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Once in we tried to power it up again and now have an Estop. I also tried to put a 4 gallon Hitachi compressor to the machine and it never shut down. Air was coming though the spindle. I assume that is the air blast solenoid and not normal?
    Air comes through the spindle all the time to prevent coolant and swarf from getting into the bearings. Tool change kicks the air blast solenoid with a big puff. In some cases the air usage can be excessive which often indicates a cracked line or fitting. Richard had an issue a while back that turned out to be a damaged fitting. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...-air-leak.html

Has the Yaskawa Drive control is the Discovery DX-32. Also is there a diagnostics page in the software that might help tell me which device is causing the Estop?
    If it's an axis drive look at parameter #153 Drive Faults Word. When the machine is happy it will be all zeros. For example 00100000 would indicate the spindle drive error.

The fastest way to diagnose the drive is to manually actuate it by pressing the contractor and reading the error on the display on the drive. I had this happen once.
    New (to me) VMC - Page 10

As for running the drives off single phase... you'd need to check the model numbers with the Yaskawa manual and verify that they can all be done single phase. A lot of drives can synthesize the missing leg but many larger drives require all three. If the drive doesn't like the wild leg coming off your RPC it will throw and error indicating as such when you hit the contractor. If it does indicate a power issue then you may need to adjust your capacitors to even things out. You may also find that running some other machine or motor load on the RPC will stabilize it. Maybe someone who runs their machine on an RPC will chime in with advise.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Air comes through the spindle all the time to prevent coolant and swarf from getting into the bearings. Tool change kicks the air blast solenoid with a big puff. In some cases the air usage can be excessive which often indicates a cracked line or fitting. Richard had an issue a while back that turned out to be a damaged fitting. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...-air-leak.html

If it's an axis drive look at parameter #153 Drive Faults Word. When the machine is happy it will be all zeros. For example 00100000 would indicate the spindle drive error.

The fastest way to diagnose the drive is to manually actuate it by pressing the contractor and reading the error on the display on the drive. I had this happen once.
    New (to me) VMC - Page 10

As for running the drives off single phase... you'd need to check the model numbers with the Yaskawa manual and verify that they can all be done single phase. A lot of drives can synthesize the missing leg but many larger drives require all three. If the drive doesn't like the wild leg coming off your RPC it will throw and error indicating as such when you hit the contractor. If it does indicate a power issue then you may need to adjust your capacitors to even things out. You may also find that running some other machine or motor load on the RPC will stabilize it. Maybe someone who runs their machine on an RPC will chime in with advise.
    Thanks. I assume its pretty obvious how to get to 153. I do have the Installation and Maintenance manual. I'll do some reading. I was hoping there is a diagnostics page that might show the states of the components helping to narrow down the problem.
    Also, I noted that my Y axis servo amp (I have the bridgeport amps, gold aluminum heatsinks) that the red LED is on with the green LED, while the X and Z just have green. (Of course this is with the drives not enabled)

Thanks for the info on the air line. Richard is a member of our loca metalworking club and has been very helpful. He went down to see the machine I have and has given me tips since he has one of these machines. Its cool to see other Torq Cut owners helping each other out. Sharing whatever they run into. I'll try and report back what I find. While I was told the machine was running when taken out of service, we didn't get to actually see it. That said, the owner said he's willing to send his maintenance tech up to me to help get it going. That says something since I am in East Mesa, AZ and he is in Tucson.

Marty

Unfortunately, that Hitachi 4 gallon compressor ain't going to cut it. In fact, I wouldn't get anything less than a true 7.5 hp twin stage compressor and not one of them noisy oilless Craftsman jobs. I just about killed a Puma 5 hp twin cylinder 80 gallon The first year I got my TC-30. I think I replaced the pressure switch twice. I finally bough an Atlas-Copco Rotary with integrated refrigerated dryer. I haven't been happier not listening to the constant drone of the recip. I think there is a constant 15 psi bleed out of the spindle under normal circumstances.

I think your red light is the culprit. Normally I'd see an axis fault when they go though. Check your wiring and also for cold solder joints on those amp circuit boards. Loose connections can get hot and start melting things. BPT Parts is a good source to keep these tings running. They had a good supply of those amps the last time I needed one.

Thanks. I assume its pretty obvious how to get to 153. I do have the Installation and Maintenance manual.
    From the main screen F5 MaintPg. Here is a scan from my manual showing the details of #150 to #161. Your manual should have a list of all the parameters and they may be slightly different.

Thanks forhire, while not exactly pertaining to my Torq Cut 22, it pointed me in the right direction in the manual.

I can't seem to find a description of the LEDs on the servo amplifier cards. Green is good but there are two red LEDs (if memory serves). My Y axis has the red led on directly behind the green one.

If a fault occurs on an amplifier or spindle drive do they generate the Estop message and you have to figure out which has caused the fault?

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    Unfortunately, that Hitachi 4 gallon compressor ain't going to cut it. In fact, I wouldn't get anything less than a true 7.5 hp twin stage compressor and not one of them noisy oilless Craftsman jobs. I just about killed a Puma 5 hp twin cylinder 80 gallon The first year I got my TC-30. I think I replaced the pressure switch twice. I finally bough an Atlas-Copco Rotary with integrated refrigerated dryer. I haven't been happier not listening to the constant drone of the recip. I think there is a constant 15 psi bleed out of the spindle under normal circumstances.

I think your red light is the culprit. Normally I'd see an axis fault when they go though. Check your wiring and also for cold solder joints on those amp circuit boards. Loose connections can get hot and start melting things. BPT Parts is a good source to keep these tings running. They had a good supply of those amps the last time I needed one.
    I have a large 60 gallon 4 cylinder compressor that should keep up with it. I will use it. Interesting to know that it bleeds air out the spindle. I think Richard mentioned the same thing to me.

Thanks for the heads up on BPT parts!
    Marty

I took a look at my servo amps while my machine was cutting and the green LED is lit and the red one right behind it was off. The last red one was, surprisingly to me, very faintly lit up, I mean it has to be just barley above the threshold voltage. I thought to pull out my spare servo amp and took a picture for you and the LEDs have labels silk screened on the pcb. Perhaps LOHV represents low voltage on the high voltage bus? It looks like it is connected to pin 17 on a programmable logic array that is doing the PWM for the amp then on to a line on the 10 pin ribbon cable probably indicating that particular fault to the controller.

I'd check the DC bus voltage going to the servo amps.

Attachment 337190

Attachment 337192

Attachment 337194

I took a look at my servo amps while my machine was cutting and the green LED is lit and the red one right behind it was off. The last red one was, surprisingly to me, very faintly lit up, I mean it has to be just barley above the threshold voltage. I thought to pull out my spare servo amp and took a picture for you and the LEDs have labels silk screened on the pcb. Perhaps LOHV represents low voltage on the high voltage bus? It looks like it is connected to pin 17 on a programmable logic array that is doing the PWM for the amp then on to a line on the 10 pin ribbon cable probably indicating that particular fault to the controller.

Attachment 337190

Attachment 337192

Attachment 337194
    Thanks alot. First things first. Including checking taps on the transformers. Need to get power sorted first and then go from there. I will wire both transformers on L1 and L2 and turn off the coolant pump and then see if every thing powers up or not. I'll get back with everyone more next week.
    Thanks again,
    Marty

Can you give an idea what BPTParts.com charges for a refurbished amplifier?

The part number mine uses P/N 3194-4268 which is the higher current model that were used in the larger Parvex servo motors. Apparently you can tell this by looking at the terminals going out to the motor use a black screw terminals as well. The lower current model for SEM servo motors has a light green connector. I am told that many machines use the Parvex motor only in the Z-axis, but mine has them on all 3 axis. I looked it up on their site (cached at Google because its down at the moment) and it lists it for $875 but there is also a $480 core charge until you send it back. I see one on ebay for 500 bucks.

There was a retrofit procedure for the torq cut 22's for the z axis to the larger Parvex servo when there was issues. On the Torq cut 30's they were all the larger Parvex. My machine being a high speed spindle (no gear box) I think has the smaller SEM servo on Z due to it's lighter head weight (never needed the retrofit I guess).

At one point I looked at swapping to the Parvex setup from a TC30 that was being scrapped but the ball screws are also different.... the faster speeds might have been nice but maybe a bit much for the smaller 22 .

Marty, feel free to give me a call if you want to walk through anything, I am available.

Richard