585,967 active members*
4,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Trying to troubleshoot cheep VFD error
Page 1 of 2 12

Trying to troubleshoot cheep VFD error

So... I got one of those cheep Chinese VFD/spindle kits from ebay last year when building my CNC. I ran it a fair amount about a year ago and only just recently started on projects again about a week ago. I was getting ready to start cutting when the spindle just stopped and it displayed Er 4. It persists through power cycle and comes on when I press run. Does anyone have an English manual for a YL620-A-2.2KW (or whatever it is) inverter or know what that error code is?

Re: Trying to troubleshoot cheep VFD error

Quote Originally Posted by TheHerofVirtue View Post
    So... I got one of those cheep Chinese VFD/spindle kits from ebay last year when building my CNC. I ran it a fair amount about a year ago and only just recently started on projects again about a week ago. I was getting ready to start cutting when the spindle just stopped and it displayed Er 4. It persists through power cycle and comes on when I press run. Does anyone have an English manual for a YL620-A-2.2KW (or whatever it is) inverter or know what that error code is?
    Its had to say what you have as your drive is one of the copied Huanyang VFD Drives, when you set the parameters what was the format letters used at the start and then numbers I have a lot of these Chinese VFD Drive manuals but don't think I have this one, with an output of up to 23 amps for a 120v supply you are looking at around a 40 amp supply voltage to support this VFD Drive do you have the Chinese manual I sometimes can get enough from the manual to see what your problem is so if you have the manual post it and I will take a look at it

If you are running a 2.2Kw spindle that is 110v then this usually does not end well 1.5Kw is about all you can reasonably run on 120v power supply and then you need a minimum of a 25A supply
    Mactec54

I had the manual a year ago when I first set the parameters but lost that PDF and the download link I got it from has expired. I'm not quite sure I understand your question about parameter setting. The parameter nomenclature is like P00.00 and goes up from there (P00.01,P00.02...) Choosing this for my drive and spindle was not my best decision.

I had the manual a year ago when I first set the parameters but lost that PDF and the download link I got it from has expired. I'm not quite sure I understand your question about parameter setting. The parameter nomenclature is like P00.00 and goes up from there (P00.01,P00.02...) Choosing this for my drive and spindle was not my best decision.
    I will see what I have with the P00.00 Parameter format that's all I needed the VFD Drive you have is a HUAJIANG and I have that manual I will post it for you

So what are your spindle specs
    Mactec54

As far as the spindle specs... again, I dont know. There is nothing written on the spindle so all i can go on is the original ebay listing saying that it is 2.2KW. i never really did any testing to see how it was performing but i never really had any issues with cutting. Thanks for your help!

As far as the spindle specs... again, I dont know. There is nothing written on the spindle so all i can go on is the original ebay listing saying that it is 2.2KW. i never really did any testing to see how it was performing but i never really had any issues with cutting. Thanks for your help!
    You have to know what the max Hz of the spindle motor is or you can't set the Parameters in the VFD Drive, is this spindle water cooled or air cooled, is the VFD Drive 120v input and have 220v output or is the output 120v
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You have to know what the max Hz of the spindle motor is or you can't set the Parameters in the VFD Drive, is this spindle water cooled or air cooled, is the VFD Drive 120v input and have 220v output or is the output 120v
    The vfd is 120 input and 120 output. The spindle is watercooled.

The vfd is 120 input and 120 output. The spindle is watercooled.
    So it should be 24,000 400Hz then, did it run at that speed
    Mactec54

Just to clarify, If the Spindle is rated at 400Hz, then its maximum speed will be 24 000 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Just to clarify, If the Spindle is rated at 400Hz, then its maximum speed will be 24 000 RPM.
    Nothing to clarify

Of course it would be, why the question was asked as the Op does not know what he has so if he was able to run it at 24,000 RPM then I would know what the Hz would be or if he did not know what RPM he had run it at but programed it with 400Hz max then I would be able to do a full set of parameters for his VFD Drive for him to try to see if he can solve his problem
    Mactec54

Settle down.
    I was clarifying for the OP, not you.
    My bad for not stating that

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

When it stopped working it was running at 300Hz. But I have done a few projects at 400Hz in the past.

When it stopped working it was running at 300Hz. But I have done a few projects at 400Hz in the past.
    Ok so it seems your spindle is 400Hz then, so the drive parameters need to be set like for a standard 2.2Kw 400Hz spindle I will see what I have for that VFD drive this most likely is where the problem is
    Mactec54

I know exactly what your fault is, if it's still of interest to you. I battled with the exact same drive for a month or so. I still get flashbacks to this day!

No amount of settings tweaking is going to solve Er4, I'm afraid. Luckily when I encountered the fault I still had the manual. Er4 is an IPM fault. The IPM or Intelligent Power Module is the part responsible for creating your 3 phase sinusoidal output, I believe it raplaces a bank of mosfets on your more traditional VFD design. It's just one component to replace. The reason I stumbled upon this thread is because I'm in the process of attempting to repair my drive at the moment (with the help of a more competent enginner from work that understands electrickery better than I) and I was looking for the manual. Mostly just so my mate could have a laugh at the apalling chinglish. He's found the component that's at fault and a suitable replacement, but he has his suspicians that it may have failed due to another damaged component (a small transformer) so we'll see how that turns out. If I get her going again I'll be sure to fill you in on what I did.

In the meantime, my best advice is buy a better VFD. I was sold this one on the basis that it was a Hunayang, which it obviously wasn't. If you want to go cheap then one of those should do you. In the end I opted for a Bosch Rexroth EFC and it's been a blinder so far. no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by F4br1c83D View Post
    I know exactly what your fault is, if it's still of interest to you. I battled with the exact same drive for a month or so. I still get flashbacks to this day!

No amount of settings tweaking is going to solve Er4, I'm afraid. Luckily when I encountered the fault I still had the manual. Er4 is an IPM fault. The IPM or Intelligent Power Module is the part responsible for creating your 3 phase sinusoidal output, I believe it raplaces a bank of mosfets on your more traditional VFD design. It's just one component to replace. The reason I stumbled upon this thread is because I'm in the process of attempting to repair my drive at the moment (with the help of a more competent enginner from work that understands electrickery better than I) and I was looking for the manual. Mostly just so my mate could have a laugh at the apalling chinglish. He's found the component that's at fault and a suitable replacement, but he has his suspicians that it may have failed due to another damaged component (a small transformer) so we'll see how that turns out. If I get her going again I'll be sure to fill you in on what I did.

In the meantime, my best advice is buy a better VFD. I was sold this one on the basis that it was a Hunayang, which it obviously wasn't. If you want to go cheap then one of those should do you. In the end I opted for a Bosch Rexroth EFC and it's been a blinder so far. no problems whatsoever.
    Thanks! I went ahead and got a smaller lenze smv drive but I would like to get this one back up and going if possible. Please let me know how the replacement goes. I don't mind taking that board apart if it works for you. If you have time could you send me a link to the replacement part and where it is on the board?

I purchased a 2.2Kw 110V Water cooled spindle with the inverter(VFD) which flashing "Er-10" on screen and not listed in a book. what does this error mean?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by NikoTien View Post
    I purchased a 2.2Kw 110V Water cooled spindle with the inverter(VFD) which flashing "Er-10" on screen and not listed in a book. what does this error mean?

Thanks in advance.
    Does the VFD turn on without the spindle motor attached still have the fault
    Mactec54

Yes, it still have the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by NikoTien View Post
    Yes, it still have the fault.
    How do you have the 120v wired to the R S T Terminals
    Mactec54

How do you have the 120v wired to the R S T Terminals
    The terminals i have are N L U V W FG +DB- (+DB- for braking resistor).

The VFD type: YL-620-A-2.2Kw, Input AC: IPH0-110V 50/60Hz, Output AC: 110V 23A 4.0KVA.

Page 1 of 2 12