585,926 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TTS Drill Chuck Key Sizes?

Anyone know what size keys the TTS drill chucks use? I bought some tooling that didnt come with keys. I have the JT1, JT2 and JT6 chucks and needing keys for all of them. I also bought a 4-way universal key from Harbor Freight on a hope it would work, but no dice.

Thanks for the help.

Re: TTS Drill Chuck Key Sizes?

All of my keys fit like **** too, sucks. I think that are next crappy Chinese chucks.. I could be wrong tho.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have 3 different size tts chucks. I'll let you know tomorrow.
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    I have 3 different size tts chucks. I'll let you know tomorrow.
    Thank you for your help.

JT1: .195 pilot, 11 teeth

JT2: .233 pilot, 12 teeth

JT6: .310 pilot, 11 teeth
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

My three sizes fit like crap also, has anyone found a solution?

It seems like the pilot is very undersize. Have even considered sleeving the chuck body but I suspect that the sleeve would have a short life however.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    My three sizes fit like crap also, has anyone found a solution?
    Replace the Tormach c*ap chucks with an Albrecht? I scored some used Albrecht keyless chucks for a reasonable price on eBay, bought Tormach JT? holders for each and am a very happy camper. No keys to search for and the bits never slip.

Yup, I only use those crapchucks for bits that live in them forever. I've gotten the same exact keyless chucks (along with lots of other stuff) that Tormach sells from tfttools.com for just about the same price as the crapchucks. They are a good place to get cheap stuff that doesn't require a lot of precision.

I use TTS ER16 to permanently hold the drills that are used everyday. Using Tormach holders with eBay collets is about the same price as a c*ap chuck plus TTS-JT2 or TTS-JT6. The collet holder is shorter for additional clearance plus is lower runout plus the bit never slips.

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    All of my keys fit like **** too, sucks. I think that are next crappy Chinese chucks.. I could be wrong tho.

Yep, all pretty much crap, but a good marriage with crap harbour freight drill bits :-)

I would like to have about 24 more 1/4" chucks with good quality bits on a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    JT1: .195 pilot, 11 teeth

JT2: .233 pilot, 12 teeth

JT6: .310 pilot, 11 teeth
    Thank you Sir.

I would love a higher quality chuck. Wish they werent so dang expensive for an Albrecht or Jacobs even. I have some of my more used bits in er20's but I seem to be getting into more and more offsizes lately on jobs. One calls for a 4mm bit. Not one Id like to dedicate an er20 too

Maybe Ill throw the Harbor Freight 4way key into a 4 jaw and turn the pilots down. I think the teeth are correct.

There is no reason to dedicate an ER20 to your 4mm. Just grip in appropriate collet, measure, use a few times and remove. (If you're like me you'll probably run a couple of parts either from mistakes or because you need two.) It is really not much slower to grip the bit in an ER20 than to locate the key and grip in a chuck. Either way you have to measure. That said, for non-critical stuff I just insert the drill as far as possible into the chuck and measure assuming that the position will be the same each time.

I bought a handful of the el cheapo keyed chucks from Shars with full expectation of poor quality.. Crazy cheap like $6-$9 a piece for 0-1/4 JT0 and JT1. Expensive part was the $20 TTS adapters. And yes the keys were not quite the same size as the tormach ones but they still work. I chalked it up to typical chicom stuff.

Get the keyless chucks from ttstools, same price as the crappy ones from Tormach

tts tools? Have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JB View Post
    I bought a handful of the el cheapo keyed chucks from Shars with full expectation of poor quality.. Crazy cheap like $6-$9 a piece for 0-1/4 JT0 and JT1. Expensive part was the $20 TTS adapters. And yes the keys were not quite the same size as the tormach ones but they still work. I chalked it up to typical chicom stuff.
    I bought some of them as well, the keys were sloppy, I took one of the keys and bored out the gear about half way thru, made a new pin that press fit the gear and the hole in the body with about .005 clearance and it works fine now.
    Everything Chinese that I have has oversized holes, the same for tapped holes. My 35 year old lathe is the same, many of the tapped holes were really sloppy.
    mike sr

Tfttools.com don't buy any measuring tools, I think that's obvious but just thought I'd say that. But I have all the drill chucks they make, parallels, the cut off bar for a lathe is great, comes with 10 inserts, the lathe quick change tooling holders are great, I probably have about a thousand bucks worth of their stuff and it's all good.