585,926 active members*
3,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UC100 losses contact

Question - does anyone use a UC100 with UCCNC? For some reason while running a file i will all of a sudden loss contact with the UC100 which in turns causes me to loss zero and it is a pain trying to refind zero and start the file in the middle of the file. I have ruined a number of projects because of this.

Re: UC100 losses contact

Most likely noise interfering with the USB connection.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

One thing I learned long ago is to machine a simple reference surface onto the material before the machine work actually starts. That way IF I need to reference the part I have an accurate place to reference to . A simple 90deg cut on teh edge of the material works very well. Then it is easy to touch off on those surfaces for X and Y.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

That is such a broad statement and surely not one i would know how to track down. I know i rebuilt every nut and bolt on this small machine. I used shielded wiring, soldered all my connections, etc. I had no issues with the UC100 for the first couple of months, but now it is just sporadic and happens one out of every three projects. Today it happened three times on the same project (2 and a half hour run time file).

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    One thing I learned long ago is to machine a simple reference surface onto the material before the machine work actually starts. That way IF I need to reference the part I have an accurate place to reference to . A simple 90deg cut on teh edge of the material works very well. Then it is easy to touch off on those surfaces for X and Y.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    I have such a small machine (11x14 workable bed) that if i used a reference mark, my projects would even be smaller.

Try increasing the buffer size and see if that helps?

In this thread he says that adding ferrite beads to the USB problem fixed his sync issues.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...-solution.html
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Another way that takes up ZERO room is to bump up to teh X stop and set machine home then bump up teh Y stop and set home then when you set Work Home X0Y0 you click on teh machine coords button and write down what teh machine coords are for X0Y0. Then if you need to reset simply bump x stop and Ystop and set home then move teh required distance to get to work X0 Y0 and reset Work X0Y0 and you are good to go.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by jcarpenter2 View Post
    Question - does anyone use a UC100 with UCCNC? For some reason while running a file i will all of a sudden loss contact with the UC100 which in turns causes me to loss zero and it is a pain trying to refind zero and start the file in the middle of the file. I have ruined a number of projects because of this.
    I feel your pain...

That's one reason I dumped the UC300USB and upgraded to UC300ETH. I think that regardless how reliable and well made the UCX00USB products are, they will always occasionally lose contact and always at the most inappropriate time. Unfortunately I think the best and the most efficient you can do is buying a UC400ETH and replace the UC100 with that one.

The other alternative is trying to identify the source of the problem. Try changing the USB cable first, check all the wires, contacts, and try to analyze what might cause the problem. Dry run, air milling without spindle a long code with a lot of changes in, then if it works run the same thing with the spindle on. A lot of things can cause loss of contact, very difficult to pinpoint a single reason.

I had the same problem on 2 different machines. One I had forgot to turn off the power saving option on the usb hub via windows and the other was "apparently" a bad USB cable. It stopped after I changed out the cable but we all know that's not a definitive. It could still be a problem but so far so good.

I have such a small machine (11x14 workable bed) that if i used a reference mark, my projects would even be smaller.
    The X,Y reference point can be anywhere, just make sure it is not changed/moved during the work and that your G-code uses the same reference point during milling. You have to place the work material accurately offset from that point, and use the bottom of the work material as Z reference. It is a bit more complex if you want to use the top of the material as Z zero and the sides as X,Y, and even more complicated if you want to use the center of X or Y or X and Y as references, but even that is possible.

I have a uc100 and experienced the same issues you are. Sometimes went days without issue and others continually happened throughout day.

I replaced the cable that came with the uc100 with a sheided one and haven't had a problem since.

Just wanted to let you know what i believe is the final fix for my issue with the UC100 losing contact. I duct taped the USB mini to the UC100 and two projects have been completed without losing connection. Its ironic that i went through all my grounds, went through turning off all my usb power managements in windows, swapped multiple cables and the end state was to use duct tape