532,133 active members*
2,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5

    Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Hi All!

    I'm new to cnc/laser cutting topic, pls help me.
    I want a machine only to cut 1.5mm thick nylon webbing, and put holes on it. I need some cheap solution, thats how I found K40.

    I want to be able, to put holes in a consistent way, and make a rounded cut at the end of the webbing.
    My plan is to make some kind of guide to place more webbings parallel side-by-side, and then I can start the cutting program, to cut them the same way, and make the holes.
    So all I need is consistent execution of a simple cutting, nothing fancy engraving, or cutting.

    I read a lot about converting, and upgrading, for better accuracy, and better use. (DSP, and different logic boards)
    However I'd like to ask you, whether I'd really need any upgrade, for simple jobs that I want?

    What upgrade would you say the most important for my needs?

    thanks all

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    730

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    I recently purchased a k40. I don't know how well a 40w laser will cut nylon but from what I've read, it does well. If you do get a K40, look for one that has the newer controller card that is compatible to laserdraw/coreldraw and not the older moshidraw.

    Coreldraw/laserdraw actually works "good enough" that I don't plan on upgrading the controller.

    As far as work holding, take out the useless table bed (about 5 screws). Make a custom work holding table for your nylon.

    Upgrade the blower fan and install a air assist nozzle.

    I paid $366 for mine. I am really happy with it.

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    I recently purchased a k40. I don't know how well a 40w laser will cut nylon but from what I've read, it does well. If you do get a K40, look for one that has the newer controller card that is compatible to laserdraw/coreldraw and not the older moshidraw.

    Coreldraw/laserdraw actually works "good enough" that I don't plan on upgrading the controller.

    thanks
    How do I know, whether it has the newer controller?
    For the model I've looked, it writes:
    "MoshiDraw Software Included. CorelDraw has the ability of both NewlySeal and NewlyDraw and so it can be employeed in both carving and cutting works."

    (I'm in EU, I'd like a machine, that is available here, to avoid 100-200$ shipping prices, +27% vat)

    I've planned the air assist nozzle, and better fan.

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    730

    Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    I emailed them and asked if it had the newer controller. It's called m2-nano.

    6C6879-LASER-M2 is the model number of the controller board.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448161196.073353.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	298656

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    358

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Because nylon tends to melt I don't think you can cleanly cut it with a laser. The material would fuse back together behind the beam I'd find a way to try it first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Because nylon tends to melt I don't think you can cleanly cut it with a laser. The material would fuse back together behind the beam I'd find a way to try it first.
    Unfortunately I have no idea, how could I try it before buying the machine
    However I think/hope that air assist can help on this problem.
    What do you think?


    Newsletter 225: Marking PEEK Plastic, Cutting Nylon Seatbelts, Degating FR4 Circuit Boards - they are recommending laser to cut nylon webbing. However they are using 90W power. Is that high power needed?

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    I emailed them and asked if it had the newer controller. It's called m2-nano.

    6C6879-LASER-M2 is the model number of the controller board.
    Thanks, I've got this anwser from seller, I'm not sure whether it is ok or not.

    "Adopt Japan imported mainboard and chip which can control the engraving more precise.
    CorelDraw Software Included. "

    do you have any idea, what does that mean?


    The other sellers reply was:
    "my dear customer,we would like to tell you ,the machine have control board,please don't worry"

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    358

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?


    You are correct. This is 1.65mm nylon cut between 300 and 600 mm/min. Cuts clean top and bottom but side fibers tend to pull out. Walls have a nice glaze.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5
    You are correct. This is 1.65mm nylon cut between 300 and 600 mm/min. Cuts clean top and bottom but side fibers tend to pull out. Walls have a nice glaze.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks.
    What do you think, would slower speed help sealing the edge, to prevent fraying?

  10. #10

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by fificat View Post
    Thanks.
    What do you think, would slower speed help sealing the edge, to prevent fraying?
    We have a 70W laser from SA Argus (South Africa) and we cut 1.5mm polyprop webbing on 20mm/s speed 95% power and have no issues with fraying, I suppose the power could be set lower, maybe 80% but it's not melting too much or making a big cutline.

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    114

    Re: Using the chinese 40w co2 machine (k40) for cutting webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by fificat View Post
    Hi All!

    I'm new to cnc/laser cutting topic, pls help me.
    I want a machine only to cut 1.5mm thick nylon webbing, and put holes on it. I need some cheap solution, thats how I found K40.

    I want to be able, to put holes in a consistent way, and make a rounded cut at the end of the webbing.
    My plan is to make some kind of guide to place more webbings parallel side-by-side, and then I can start the cutting program, to cut them the same way, and make the holes.
    So all I need is consistent execution of a simple cutting, nothing fancy engraving, or cutting.

    I read a lot about converting, and upgrading, for better accuracy, and better use. (DSP, and different logic boards)
    However I'd like to ask you, whether I'd really need any upgrade, for simple jobs that I want?

    What upgrade would you say the most important for my needs?

    thanks all
    You need to control the air assist and the laser power accurately, so adding a nozzle system and pressure regulator with air dryer bulb is needed. I have cutting webbing many times, and if you want it to be consistent and to not have a lot of waste then you must control these factors. In addition, the laser power on Chinese glass CO2 lasers fluctuates during the job. Moreover, if your input AC power fluctuates over time then that has a significant effect on laser output power. For example, in my old shop, when the neighbors went to lunch (machine shops), then the AC power changed significantly, and the laser output power changed by 12% plus (I know this because I was running calibration tests using the Mahoney CO2 laser power meters, and the lunchtime affair messed up the calibration process. If you read the RECI manual for the laser power supply, it specifically states that the laser output power fluctuates with changes in input AC. In summary, nylon webbing is a good application for CO2 lasers with the correct setup, and I have automotive parts making customers that purchased modified Chinese laser machines from me for that purpose. Here is my photo with 4 spools of nylon webbing on an 8 spool centering fixture on a modified Chinese 1500 x 1200 CO2 laser machine.

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese 50W Laser Engraving Machine Cutting Problem
    By Jazly in forum General Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 04:52 AM
  2. RCH2030 CNC Cutting machines /Chinese cutting machine for foam
    By ROCTECH-Vicky in forum Roctech CNC Routers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2014, 07:58 AM
  3. eBay Laser Cutting Machine - chinese model from UK
    By CocoRhum in forum Want To Buy...Need help!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM
  4. Chinese laser engraving/cutting machine
    By we3en in forum Want To Buy...Need help!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •