585,753 active members*
4,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What electronic components and stepper motors should I buy

What electronic components and stepper motors should I buy

I am building a cnc machine 4 foot by 4 foot for woodworking. I will make the cnc with steel but I am not sure what stepper motors to use and power supply or what other electronic components to use

Re: What electronic components and stepper motors should I buy

What components are you using for motion?
    How much weight are you moving?
    How fast do you want it to be?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What components are you using for motion?
    How much weight are you moving?
    How fast do you want it to be?
    It is for cutting out wooden name signs so I would like to to move fairly fast. For the movement it was going to be a threaded bar with the nut welded on to the piece moving. For the weight i am not sure if I calculated it right but I got 36 pounds.

I think it`s better to use a ball screw type instead of just an ordinary threaded bar with a nut, in that way it will not a give you headaches in the future, by and by if it wears out it will create backlashes on the unit itself making the CNC less accurate, im sure you can compensate it on the code but it will continue to get bigger backlashes thus giving you additional work on adjusting the code for the backlash, I`ved been there sir, not worth it, better build the machine perfect the first time. I used my assembled CNC for just two months then the succeeding months I gradually tweak the code for it`s not the same measurements anymore than the first two months of cut, unlike using a ball screw it will give you years of accuracy in the cuts. forget using a chain drive, too much backlash on my opinion.

It normally doesn't help to ask the same question in multiple places on this forum
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...32336-cnc.html

A bit of reading and research here will answer most such questions. One of the most asked questions I see is "What electronics", "what controller" or " what motors". Unless you provide a lot of other information specific to your machine like... specific type, model of screws, rails, rack & pinion type, belt drive type, size, build material, gantry weight etc, they are questions no one can answer with any real accuracy other than guess. The best option is to read and research (yes I know it takes a little more work than just asking questions) and then coming up with a specific build and game plan for your needs. At that point you will have already answered many of the question you will have and then you can provide enough information and specifics that folks can offer real advice and assistance. I'm not trying to say your question is a dumb one... I'm just offering a solution to actually help you toward building a machine that will do what you want it to do within your acceptable price range. So, for as much as it's worth, read, read, read and then read some more!. Or the simplest means to an end... buy a machine from a vendor who says it will do what you want and that offers after sales support.

This web page may help answer some questions:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/estimate.htm
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)