567,775 active members*
1,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Where have they all gone?

    I am at a complete loss as to: How find a new power supply / controller, equivalent for my CNCest 3040 cnc machine.
    I would have though that given the amount of Chinese machines that have made their way into the United Kingdom alone, plus the amount of talented people who have upgraded power supplies etc.
    Along with the disillusioned who gave up and scrapped their machines, that there would be an abundance of spare parts (power supplies /controllers etc.) for people like me who have no idea or ambition, or finances to upgrade, but who are quite happy to make do and repair wherever they can.
    I feel to have searched and better searched for a replacement for my 3040 and indeed a simple way to either repair it, or replace the parts (if any are required to find the fault). Alas I am condemned to spend the rest of my retirement at the beck and call of my wife, whilst my shed / workshop languishes in my garden.
    There are people on this forum who have the power to put life and hope back into this rapidly fading soul.
    Where are you?

    Best regards

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    I am at a complete loss as to: How find a new power supply / controller, equivalent for my CNCest 3040 cnc machine.
    I would have though that given the amount of Chinese machines that have made their way into the United Kingdom alone, plus the amount of talented people who have upgraded power supplies etc.
    Along with the disillusioned who gave up and scrapped their machines, that there would be an abundance of spare parts (power supplies /controllers etc.) for people like me who have no idea or ambition, or finances to upgrade, but who are quite happy to make do and repair wherever they can.
    I feel to have searched and better searched for a replacement for my 3040 and indeed a simple way to either repair it, or replace the parts (if any are required to find the fault). Alas I am condemned to spend the rest of my retirement at the beck and call of my wife, whilst my shed / workshop languishes in my garden.
    There are people on this forum who have the power to put life and hope back into this rapidly fading soul.
    Where are you?

    Best regards
    Do you know for sure it is the Power Supply that has gone bad.

    Switch mode Power supplies are everywhere just look at the specs on the one you have, and you will be able to get back into your garden shed, post it here voltage Watts and Amps is all you need, the input voltage will be easy that is your supply voltage

    MeanWell are the most reliable SM Power Supplies

    You can attach a photo of it also.

    120v / 240 normally they are dual voltage and have a switch on the side to select the voltage of your mains supply.
    Watts=
    DC Amps=
    DC Voltage=
    Mactec54

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Does your Power supply look like this if so, all you need are the specs for it and we can find a similar power supply?

    Note it has a fuse have you checked the fuse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3040 SM Power Supply.jpg  
    Mactec54

  4. #4
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24150

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    I am at a complete loss as to: How find a new power supply / controller, equivalent for my CNCest 3040 cnc machine.
    I would have though that given the amount of Chinese machines that have made their way into the United Kingdom alone, plus the amount of talented people who have upgraded power supplies etc.
    Best regards
    I have made it a point in my career, Never to use a SMPS for power, especially in servo/stepper control, Having to serve customers, they require reliability and generally a Linear P.S. is the last to fail.
    Very simple to put together a Linear version if you can't find the exact thing out there, if you pay a few extra $$ up front, it pays over the long run, as is shown in your case.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi Mactec54, I do have all the info for the power supply. The problem is at the power end were the one I have shows all the power leads and their correct positions, also has a little connector that goes to the spindle speed controller, the others that I have found are correct in all aspects except for the little three pin connector that goes to the spindle speed regulator. I don't know how to overcome that issue.

    Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230221_153303[1].jpg  

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi again Mactec54, thank you for all your suggestions, I haven't taken the lid off the power supply yet so I didn't even think about a fuse. One thing I have noticed is that when power is applied to the power supply its own fan does not spin.

    Once again many thanks,
    Best regards.

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi Al_The_Man, thank you for your suggestion, it is something I might have to investigate. I have no idea at all of how to integrate a linear power supply into my setup without major help and direction, so unfortunately that is a non starter just now.

    Many thanks for your suggestion though.

    Best regards

  8. #8
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24150

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    Hi Al_The_Man, thank you for your suggestion, it is something I might have to investigate. I have no idea at all of how to integrate a linear power supply into my setup without major help and direction, so unfortunately that is a non starter just now.

    Many thanks for your suggestion though.

    Best regards
    All it is, is 230v in and 48v out.
    I notice on your pic that the FG is not connected??
    In many of these SMPS there are suppressor caps that reference FG.
    Go linear, you will never look back!
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    Hi again Mactec54, thank you for all your suggestions, I haven't taken the lid off the power supply yet so I didn't even think about a fuse. One thing I have noticed is that when power is applied to the power supply its own fan does not spin.

    Once again many thanks,
    Best regards.
    Yes, normally the fans don't run when you power them up, they only turn on once they get up to temperature. yes that would be a special having the pot output they are for the small DC Spindles control, you can get that Power supply on Ebay here is a snip how many watts is your spindle at a guess your spindle is 300W with that power supply
    Mactec54

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    All it is, is 230v in and 48v out.
    I notice on your pic that the FG is not connected??
    In many of these SMPS there are suppressor caps that reference FG.
    Go linear, you will never look back!
    There is more to it that just a regular linear Power supply this is a brushed DC motor controller with a Pot for the speed control, this Power supply in the photos is just a modified SMPS the one I have just posted is made for these small DC motors
    Mactec54

  11. #11
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24150

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    The likes of Gecko also recommend only using Linear supplies for their products, as well as the majority of the N.A. servo Manufacturers I use, in Fact the AMC include a linear supply with some of their products.
    For me, it is just false economy by going cheap. and not ideal.
    The vast majority of servo applications do not require a regulated supply.
    For large DC motors that just require a pot control, the PWM versions of ex-treadmill linear DC drives make good candidates as many have proven.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The likes of Gecko also recommend only using Linear supplies for their products, as well as the majority of the N.A. servo Manufacturers I use, in Fact the AMC include a linear supply with some of their products.
    For me, it is just false economy by going cheap. and not ideal.
    The vast majority of servo applications do not require a regulated supply.
    For large DC motors that just require a pot control, the PWM versions of ex-treadmill linear DC drives make good candidates as many have proven.
    These have a small 300w to 500w DC motor the Pot is built into the Drive, so quite simple and very basic, if you could find a linear power supply that can do the PWM 0-10v and control the motor, then yes, they are always going to be better, the cost is also very cheap from $38 for the complete drive
    Mactec54

  13. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi Mactec54, spot on 300w. In the meantime I have been very busy testing the power supplies and they both seem to come back as being fine. At the moment I'm testing the drivers one by one. When I disconnected all three everything kept running, when I reconnected them, the power seemed to slow down after four minutes (case fan) before stopping. I will keep plugging away until everything is exhausted.

    Many thanks for all your help.

    Best regards

  14. #14
    Community Moderator Al_The_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24150

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    When I disconnected all three everything kept running, when I reconnected them, the power seemed to slow down after four minutes (case fan) before stopping. I will keep plugging away until everything is exhausted.
    I rest my case! :lol
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

    “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    Hi Mactec54, spot on 300w. In the meantime I have been very busy testing the power supplies and they both seem to come back as being fine. At the moment I'm testing the drivers one by one. When I disconnected all three everything kept running, when I reconnected them, the power seemed to slow down after four minutes (case fan) before stopping. I will keep plugging away until everything is exhausted.

    Many thanks for all your help.

    Best regards
    Be careful as there are some missing Ground / Earth wires that should be in place so you may have to check all the Input Power supply wiring L / N / G all need to be connected.

    The spindle Power supply should be independent of the other Power supply, so there should be no change with the spindle running if there is then you have a power supply problem, so look for a short circuit, put Ground / Earth wires in place, then check the 24v Power supply which may be bad
    Mactec54

  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hello again, I have a new power supply on its way. I have given myself a couple issues which I'm sure my good knowledgeable friends on here could help me with.

    1- The new power supply doesn't have a connection that I know of to connect to the spindle speed potentiometer on the outside of the power / driver control box

    2- Has anyone any ideas on how to connect the spindle speed potentiometer into the power / driver control box?

    3- Is it possible to ( control the spindle speed just by using Mach3 commands) If so how?

    Once again many thanks in anticipation of your solutions.

    Best regards

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2590

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi,
    you say that the power supply does not have a connection for a potentiometer? That would suggest that the power supply is a fixed output voltage, in which case the
    spindle will go at one speed only. In order for the spindle speed to vary the voltage of the power supply must vary, and such supplies are available but they are somewhat
    specialised....and the cost reflects that.

    When the supply turns up post some pics, and preferably some documentation about the supply.

    Craig

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15331

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhair View Post
    Hello again, I have a new power supply on its way. I have given myself a couple issues which I'm sure my good knowledgeable friends on here could help me with.

    1- The new power supply doesn't have a connection that I know of to connect to the spindle speed potentiometer on the outside of the power / driver control box

    2- Has anyone any ideas on how to connect the spindle speed potentiometer into the power / driver control box?

    3- Is it possible to ( control the spindle speed just by using Mach3 commands) If so how?

    Once again many thanks in anticipation of your solutions.

    Best regards
    To control your spindle the power supply, needs a pot control which has a 0-10v PWM output to control your spindle speed, a regular power supply will not do this, the one your machine has is a special and I posted a similar one that you would need for your spindle.
    Mactec54

  19. #19
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    29

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    Hi Craig, on a previous post there is a picture where it shows where the connector goes that connects to the spindle speed potentiometer.
    On the new power supply which is stated to be a switchable power supply has a plastic type of pot where it states the spindle speed can be increased or decreased manually.

    Best regards, Joe

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2590

    Re: Where have they all gone?

    HI,
    OK, then that sound like an adjustable output supply, which is good because thats what you require.

    Some supplies such as matec posted can vary the output voltage in response to a 0V-10V DC signal, and has the same effect as the pot. They are great for using a CNC
    program like Mach to control the speed of the spindle. Lets hope your new supply either has that or can be modified to do the same.

    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •