584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to have PCB made.

I am looking to have some PCB made from files I made using eagle. (gerber files are exported from eagle). I am currently waiting for a PCB from sparkfun.com, but I was wonder if their were faster, cheaper or better places. It cost be about $40 for 1 3"x4" single layer pcb from spark fun. Is this the norm? Wait time is about 2-3 weeks. I am designing several other prototypes and was wonder what the best place to use would be.

thanks.
    www.bigbearcnc.com

Check out Express PCB. I've used the service many times and it is flawless.

They have free software for download that both will creat the schematic and lay out the board. You'll have to do the layout manually as they do not auto route. But it is easy to do and learn.

They have special "mini board" service wherein a standard sized board of roughly 3" by 5", double sided, with plated thru and fully drilled holes is provided via air shipment in 2-3 working days for about $55. All via internet and credit card.

Is this a great country or what???

There are other sizes and options available but this is the cheapest, most efficient way to get onesy-twosy boards.

You will have to layout the boards with their software BUT it is easy to use/learn and no big deal.

Thanks! I just downloaded there software. I will try it out. I have been working with eagle, which is fine, but limited in the free version. This seems to give you as much size as you need, for free. And I know it will be compatable! Smart marketing on their part!
    www.bigbearcnc.com

You could always try 'rolling your own'...pre-sensitized pcb material is pretty cheap, print out on mylar with a laser, A walmart plant grow light, and a bit of etching and drilling...a hour tops once you get the swing of things...
    Only real initial cost id pcb, developer, and etchant, but it will last quite a while especially for small projects..
    Then there's always 'mechanical etching', got a spare small cnc router handy??

enjoy..

I have heard a lot of good things about http://www.pcbfabexpress.com/

Not being in US I have ruled it out (due to expensive shipping) in favour of www.olimex.com

For a little higher volume www.pcbcart.com or www.goldphoenixpcb.biz (IIRC these are the ones who does the manufacturing for sparkfun) is worth looking at.

if you don't mind,we can help you do.here is more cheap but the shipping fee is too hight,but all the cost i think below the $100, innluding the first sample and usually you can get 1 or 10 pieces.the circle time maybe need 1-2 weeks.next time you still need the cost i very cheap you only need pay the PCB or PCBA fee, at here the cost is 10mm x 1omm about $0.1 for double board. enclose is my e-mail address, [email protected]

I've used the Sparkfun service, it took about 4 weeks for my boards but they were very small so it may have taken longer to fill a panel. For my last run I used PCB Unlimited because I could get the stainless SMT stencils cheap with them, the boards were pretty good quality. The prettiest I've seen were actually from AP Circuits. They had really nice silkscreen and the soldermask was registered spot on.

Yesterday I got an email from Jet PCB advertising free one-off boards:
    http://www.jetpcb.com/Eng/News/News_Info.aspx?ID=14

I might throw one their way to see how it goes. Obviously a Chinese supplier like Gold Phoenix.

I've used Gerbers from Eagle with every service, haven't had any problems. Sparkfun even gives you a CAM processor file to get the right stuff out. I personally didn't like ExpressPCB's software, but I can see why it would be good.

I would imagine since the original post is over two years old he probably has his circuit boards sorted by now

Ha! Yeah, I hope he's all set. Oh well, maybe someone can use my regurgitated reflections.

Re: Where to have PCB made.

Next time if you want to order PCBs, you can try MKTPCB. https://www.mktpcb.com/. They are a leading PCB Manufacturer you can trust. They provide different types of boards and the quality is pretty good.