521,950 active members*
2,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Which material is the best for injection mold tooling?

Which material is the best for injection mold tooling?

As we know, choosing a suitable material for injection mold tooling is important for the overall production, including mold service life, economy, etc.

My company usually choose steel to make the mold, like P20 steel, #45 steel, H13 steel, etc. I heard someone may use aluminum as the mold materials. We tried aluminum before but the aluminum is more limited. It is lower hardness and easy to wear out after a few thousand of production cycles.

All in all, if considering the small scale production, aluminum is a cost-effective choice and steel mold is more suitable on mass production. Which material is you guys prefer? Which steel, or aluminum?

2fprototypes

Re: Which material is the best for injection mold tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by 2fprototypes View Post
    As we know, choosing a suitable material for injection mold tooling is important for the overall production, including mold service life, economy, etc.

My company usually choose steel to make the mold, like P20 steel, #45 steel, H13 steel, etc. I heard someone may use aluminum as the mold materials. We tried aluminum before but the aluminum is more limited. It is lower hardness and easy to wear out after a few thousand of production cycles.

All in all, if considering the small scale production, aluminum is a cost-effective choice and steel mold is more suitable on mass production. Which material is you guys prefer? Which steel, or aluminum?

2fprototypes
    I use both it depends on what is required mold life is important, careful use on Aluminum can last very well there are different manufactures of aluminum mold plate not all are equal I use QC-10
    Mactec54

depends on the application . I've cut aluminum vacuum molds for creating produce packaging , they'll last forever unless there is a major mishap . Otherwise I've cut p20 for plastic injection . I've never worked with the injection machines to have much of an opinion on the matter , but a good steel makes more sense for the long term .

ABS, PC, AS, PS, etc. The following are the requirements for reasonable selection of injection molds: (I hope it will help you).

1. High corrosion resistance Many resins and additives have a corrosive effect on the surface of the cavity. This corrosion causes the metal on the surface of the cavity to be corroded and peeled off, the surface condition is deteriorated, and the quality of the plastic parts is deteriorated. Therefore, it is best to use corrosion-resistant steel, or chromium plating and cymbal nickel on the surface of the cavity.

2. Good abrasion resistance The gloss and precision of the surface of the injection molded plastic parts are directly related to the abrasion resistance of the cavity surface of the injection mold, especially when some plastics are added with glass fiber, inorganic fillers and certain pigments. With the plastic melt in the flow of e79fa5e98193e78988e69d8331333431356132, high speed flow in the mold cavity, the friction on the surface of the cavity is very large, if the material is not wear-resistant, it will quickly wear out, causing damage to the quality of plastic parts.

3. Good dimensional stability During injection molding, the temperature of the cavity of the injection mold should reach more than 300 ° C. For this reason, it is best to use tool steel (heat-treated steel) that has been properly tempered. Otherwise, it will cause changes in the microstructure of the material, resulting in changes in the size of the injection mold.

if you want to learn more,please refer to https://stebro-mold.com/

ABS, PC, AS, PS, etc. The following are the requirements for reasonable selection of injection molds: (I hope it will help you).

1. High corrosion resistance Many resins and additives have a corrosive effect on the surface of the cavity. This corrosion causes the metal on the surface of the cavity to be corroded and peeled off, the surface condition is deteriorated, and the quality of the plastic parts is deteriorated. Therefore, it is best to use corrosion-resistant steel, or chromium plating and cymbal nickel on the surface of the cavity.

2. Good abrasion resistance The gloss and precision of the surface of the injection molded plastic parts are directly related to the abrasion resistance of the cavity surface of the injection mold, especially when some plastics are added with glass fiber, inorganic fillers and certain pigments. With the plastic melt in the flow of e79fa5e98193e78988e69d8331333431356132, high speed flow in the mold cavity, the friction on the surface of the cavity is very large, if the material is not wear-resistant, it will quickly wear out, causing damage to the quality of plastic parts.

3. Good dimensional stability During injection molding, the temperature of the cavity of the injection mold should reach more than 300 ° C. For this reason, it is best to use tool steel (heat-treated steel) that has been properly tempered. Otherwise, it will cause changes in the microstructure of the material, resulting in changes in the size of the injection mold.

if you want to learn more,please refer to https://stebro-mold.com/

1. High corrosion resistance Many resins and additives have a corrosive effect on the surface of the cavity. This corrosion causes the metal on the cavity surface to corrode and peel off, the surface condition is deteriorated, and the quality of the plastic parts is deteriorated. Therefore, it is best to use corrosion-resistant steel, or chromium plating and cymbal nickel on the surface of the cavity.

2. Good wear resistance. The gloss and precision of the surface of the injection molded plastic parts are directly related to the wear resistance of the injection mold cavity surface. Together with the plastic melt, it flows fast in the flow channel and the mold cavity, and the friction on the surface of the cavity is very large. If the material is not wear-resistant, it will quickly wear out and damage the quality of the plastic parts.

3. Good dimensional stability During injection molding, the temperature of the cavity of the injection mold should reach more than 300 ° C. For this reason, it is best to use machining tool steel (heat-treated steel) that has been properly tempered. Otherwise, it will cause changes in the microstructure of the material, resulting in changes in the size of the injection mold.