584,826 active members*
5,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Which strategy for this cut in fusion

Which strategy for this cut in fusion

Hi

For quite a while (at least an hour now) i have been trying to choose a cutting strategy for this cutout highlighted in blue.
    It is 1mm deep and i have chosen a 4mm flat end mill and the material is Plywood.
    I have tried most ways that i thought might work but they all come out wrong for one reason or another, some have really weird effects but as a novice i am not yet able to understand what it is i am doing wrong.
    On the other side of the piece i have cutouts using a 'pocket' strategy but only one end is open and they are just like a slot but one end terminates in the wood (inside the outline of the piece), no other cut-outs on or in the slot profile/outline to complicate matters like this one which has 3 holes in it.

Can someone please just tell me which strategy to work with that would simply cut the slot out, i will play until i get it if i can at least know which one should work.

Many thanks bernie

Re: Which strategy for this cut in fusion

Are you able to attach your file so we can try a few things? I can think of a couple of ways to do this but don't want to waste time recreating what I see to test. If it's proprietary I understand that you may not be able to send the file.

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

hi david
    i tried to seperate from a large file and its coming up with lots of errors, i will continue to try though
    cheers

What I do is save it as a new file and then just delete everything but that one piece.

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Yep... upload the model and I'm more than happy to offer some solutions as well.

Many times, it's easier to create a sketch that defines the outer boundaries of what you're trying to cut, and then just select the sketch profile as your "geometry" to drive the tool path.

PM

Hi PM
    Thank you for your reply, i literally only cut the piece out last night :-)
    So first off David looked at the file and noticed that i had the 'leave stock option' ticked which created a problem since the cut was so shallow, also i did exactly what you said about creating a sketch to use as an outline and it has worked

thank you very much both