547,164 active members*
3,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97

    working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

    having my plates sent of to be milled and drilled so i really dont want to make any mistakes here. so if i go of the bk12 ballscrew support here then the hole diameter according to the spec sheet is 6.6mm so then when adding tapped holes in cad (solidworks) and i select m8 tapped hole it gives me 6.8mm not 6.6mm is this correct or should i manually change the m8 from 6.8 to 6.6mm?

    hope im making sense here

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3388

    Re: working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

    Hi Reefy - what thread pitch? If its course metric then an M8 is 1.25mm pitch. This gives a nominal pilot hole of 8-1.25= 6.75mm Also is your file set at 0.01mm ? If set at 0.1mm it maybe rounding up the pilot dia. Another tap chart says 6.7mm another says 6.8mm. All work if into steel go the big size if in aluminium go the small size. Peter

    https://parts-badger.com/drill-tap-referencing/

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Reefy - what thread pitch? If its course metric then an M8 is 1.25mm pitch. This gives a nominal pilot hole of 8-1.25= 6.75mm Also is your file set at 0.01mm ? If set at 0.1mm it maybe rounding up the pilot dia. Another tap chart says 6.7mm another says 6.8mm. All work if into steel go the big size if in aluminium go the small size. Peter

    https://parts-badger.com/drill-tap-referencing/
    Hi sorry for being dumb here but how to I find out if its set to 0.01 or 0.1mm in the file? All I do in solidworks is go to hole wizard change type to tapped hole and size to m8 that's it. It's aluminium I'm using so if the BK12 support is asking for 6.6mm what would you guys set the tapped hole as if it was you? Again sorry for sounding dumb

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12916

    Re: working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

    Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    having my plates sent of to be milled and drilled so i really dont want to make any mistakes here. so if i go of the bk12 ballscrew support here then the hole diameter according to the spec sheet is 6.6mm so then when adding tapped holes in cad (solidworks) and i select m8 tapped hole it gives me 6.8mm not 6.6mm is this correct or should i manually change the m8 from 6.8 to 6.6mm?

    hope im making sense here
    Would have to see the Support drawing, they normally have clearance holes for SHCS 6.6mm would mean that is for a 6mm SHCS so your taped hole size would be a max of 5 mm for 6mm Capscrew
    Mactec54

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12916

    Re: working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

    Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Hi sorry for being dumb here but how to I find out if its set to 0.01 or 0.1mm in the file? All I do in solidworks is go to hole wizard change type to tapped hole and size to m8 that's it. It's aluminium I'm using so if the BK12 support is asking for 6.6mm what would you guys set the tapped hole as if it was you? Again sorry for sounding dumb
    Do you have the Support Housing you would be best to use 1/4-20 UNC cap-screws ( Should fit and still have some clearance ) this would need a .200 Holes Tap size holes, for this cap-screw, as 6mm cap screws are not as good in Aluminum
    Mactec54

Similar Threads

  1. Quote needed for MIC-6 plate with holes tapped
    By multivactubes in forum USA RFQ's
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 04:08 AM
  2. Smallest holes tapped with tension compression tapping head
    By wwendorf in forum Tormach Personal CNC Mill
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM
  3. Size of the tapped holes in the X3 base?
    By Lee Evans in forum X3/SX3/G0619/G0463
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
  4. Multiple tapped holes on NC, tapping fluid, or is coolant ok?
    By Brian FRF in forum General MetalWork Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
  5. drawing board drawings to cad drawings
    By mike hide in forum Uncategorised CAM Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •