585,954 active members*
4,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Yaskawa V1000 / Mach3 modbus connection
Page 1 of 3 123

Yaskawa V1000 / Mach3 modbus connection

Hi there. I have just got a Yaskawa V1000 and as it can use rs485 decided to have a go at getting it running for more precise control and on screen feedback.

To be clear I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, it's been a bit of a make it up as I go along sort of thing.

I started out following two YouTube guides for different inverters (Bosch EFC5610 and Hitachi WJ200) and using their manuals to compare and try and gleam the information I needed to set it up to mine. Where that fell down was I just couldn't figure out the VFD address values to put in the Address ModBus (Var). The manual says things like 0001H and as you will see on the link below I don't see how he came to 2, 36 and 38. I was also unsure about what types of input and output to use as both guides used different types for the same function.

I was also getting a CALL error on the VFD screen and the alarm led flashing up, and still am.

Then I found this guy had run the same VFD and posted his settings, so I copied them exactly and downloaded his brain and screen set.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/commer...-software.html

I still have the run command configured to digital input, because I could figure out the address value to do it through modbus, and this works ok. Then frequency response to the VFD and current and rpm from the vfd to mach via modbus. None of this works in either direction.

My ModBus Configuration under Function Cfg's looks identical to his. ModBus run says no error on the com port.

I have checked and double checked all the relevant settings in Mach3 including ports and pins and also the parameters in the VFD and they are all correct. Again with the wiring (which is T/R+ to R+ and S+ / T/R- to R- and S- as per the manual) checked and double checked, there is no short between loose strands or anything and is correct. I also tried with S+ and S- disconnected.

I have dip switch S2 set to on but also tried it off just to see if it made a difference.

The baud rate set in mach3, in the com port settings in windows device manager and at the VFD are all matching. In fact I tried two different baud rates - 9600 and 38400.

The USB to serial driver is working ok according to windows device manager on the correct com port and with correct drivers.

I have even tried removing the reverse rotation prevention in the VFD (b1-04) and changing the run command type from FWD/REV to START/STOP in H5-12 and have tried both enabling and disabling RTS control in H5-07 and in Mach3 and every combination between them.

I seem to have no communication between the PC and the VFD via ModBus. The spindle still turns on and runs ok when I change the frequency reference in the VFD to accept analogue instead of serial, and this also removes the CALL error. In fact the CALL error only comes on the VFD when I change either b1-01 (frequency reference) or b1-02 (run command) to accept serial instead of digital/analogue.

So the digital run command works and DRV flashes but the frequency setting via modbus doesn't and there is also no feedback coming from the VFD to the PC.

I bought two different USB-serial converters just in case there were any compatibility or driver issues, but both are fine and I've tried using both to no avail.

I also have the VFD set to remote mode, it works absolutely fine operated by the control panel in local mode as well.

I cannot figure out why it's not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Yaskawa V1000 / Mach3 modbus connection

Things to think about is:

Communication setup is extremely critical. The bps data must be the same in both the VFD and the PC. The wiring must be right. Make sure you follow the manual to the letter. Parameters H5-01, H5-02, H5-03 must be set to the same as in Mach3 and the PC COM port. Set H5-05 to 0 (zero). Somewhere in one of the registers you must set it to accept commands via Modbus, otherwise the inputs, or the panel buttons are used for control. I no longer use Mach3, so I can't give you detailed guidance. I also have limited time, so detailed help will be very complicated and difficult, I can't promise anything.

Try to follow this thread:

Mach3 VFD control via Modbus using brain file

I hope you get it fixed. Good luck.

I have got all the parameters in the VFD and also at the PC and com port as you say. Maybe the call fault is waiting for a command from the master, but I have the wrong addresses, even though I just copied them from that other person and they seemingly worked for him?

It just seems odd you get these 5 digit addresses and the ones I have are simply 2, 36 and 38. But I understand each VFD is different so probably they are correct and I have done something stupid somewhere.

I've been reading your thread this evening and trying to see if I can twig on to where I've gone wrong. You have absolutely no obligation to help at all, your videos and notes you've made across the various forums are incredibly helpful as it is and myself and I'm sure others will be/have been very grateful you've taken the time to make them. So thanks

Taking a very quick look at the Yaskawa V1000 manual.... Run address 0001 frequency 0002

It seems they need to be sent as multiple registers modbus function code 10, NowForever VFD's will only except multiple registers and seems like this VFD is the same. They are even using same address's.

Best bet is to use Mach3's "Test Modbus" until you get a response.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Taking a very quick look at the Yaskawa V1000 manual.... Run address 0001 frequency 0002

It seems they need to be sent as multiple registers modbus function code 10, NowForever VFD's will only except multiple registers and seems like this VFD is the same. They are even using same address's.

Best bet is to use Mach3's "Test Modbus" until you get a response.

Dan
    Ok. So I need to control everything in one go, so as to say my command needs to send spindle forward run command and the desired frequency at the same time?

Is 0001 and 0002 what I put under the registry address in the Modbus configuration?

I did try that and didn't get anything to work. What I really can't understand is how to get these decimal codes for register and function from my data table.

So once I've got the the right address how do I go from bit0 - 0 - 1 (forward run command) to a decimal code for my brain?

If this is the same addresses and stuff as the nowforever that means I can just find someone's settings and they should work?

I wish I'd bought the Bosch

bit, hex, decimal all the same for 1 =0001

hex or decimal 2 = 0002

dec or hex 2 to binary = 0010

Google online convertor for need.

My suggestion is not to even consider making brain until a response with "Test Modbus" or you will be chasing your tail trouble shooting.

I see. So the addresses I got from that link are correct then... which means I have done something stupid for it not to work.

And I agree, that brain was there uploaded to the link, so I just saved and imported it to Mach to give it a try. Other than that and watching the video/reading through A_Camera's notes I haven't given any thought to the brain yet as I can't get the connection to work.

I did try a converter but I was putting the H in too so it wasn't working. Assumed the letter was part of the code after reading through the Bosch stuff with F and X in.

Agree on using the test modbus panel, focus on reading values that you know what they are already to ensure you've got everything working and know what you're looking at. Like set the spindle rpm on the front panel, and then read it back through the mach test program. I found for my vfd that the documentation for the addresses of things was actually wrong, so I used that method to actually find the real addresses. Once you're confident you're reading values correctly writing them is a lot simpler.

Also be aware that the main modbus control thing uses completely different settings from the testing panel, and if the timeout is set too short it will just silently not work with no warnings or alerts at all. Once you're done testing and setting the real brain up you may have to increase the timeout in the modbus settings a lot to get it to start functioning.

The penny started to drop last night with the addresses and such. Interesting that yours were wrong.

I still need to find what's causing the call error, I have some ideas. We will see. Hopefully it will work, modbus seems the way to control the spindle to me, and particularly as my VFD is out of easy access and sight it would be real helpful to get feedback on screen.

I got it all working within 5 minutes this morning now i understand the registries properly.

I also had to run an earth from the serial input board on the VFD to the PC, not sure why but it got rid of the call error.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    The penny started to drop last night with the addresses and such. Interesting that yours were wrong.

I still need to find what's causing the call error, I have some ideas. We will see. Hopefully it will work, modbus seems the way to control the spindle to me, and particularly as my VFD is out of easy access and sight it would be real helpful to get feedback on screen.

Hi,

I don't know who you are addressing in this post, but I also made some more reading and based on the manual, I created a picture you can use as reference/test.

Attachment 378824

The example is from page 368 of your manual. Note that before you can do anything, you MUST set b1-1 and b1-2 registers to 2 (Modbus control). Without that, nothing will happen. Use Mach3 communication diagnostic screen to test. You will need a calculator to convert between decimal and hex/binary values if you are going to work with Modbus. At least initially you must be able to convert between the three bases because Mach3 uses decimal values if I remember it right. What is critical is that before you start sending messages the VFD must be connected and configured for communication and your PC must be able to handle the serial port used for Modbus. Don't change any timeouts or other parameters at this moment, I don't think you will ever need to do that. Don't over complicate this, if you have changed some communication related parameters before than reset everything to default and start over with all the known data. Once you can control the the VFD/spindle manually using the configuration help build in in Mach3 we will fix the brain file pretty easily. I am optimistic because you have a good manual.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Hi,

I don't know who you are addressing in this post, but I also made some more reading and based on the manual, I created a picture you can use as reference/test.

Attachment 378824

The example is from page 368 of your manual. Note that before you can do anything, you MUST set b1-1 and b1-2 registers to 2 (Modbus control). Without that, nothing will happen. Use Mach3 communication diagnostic screen to test. You will need a calculator to convert between decimal and hex/binary values if you are going to work with Modbus. At least initially you must be able to convert between the three bases because Mach3 uses decimal values if I remember it right. What is critical is that before you start sending messages the VFD must be connected and configured for communication and your PC must be able to handle the serial port used for Modbus. Don't change any timeouts or other parameters at this moment, I don't think you will ever need to do that. Don't over complicate this, if you have changed some communication related parameters before than reset everything to default and start over with all the known data. Once you can control the the VFD/spindle manually using the configuration help build in in Mach3 we will fix the brain file pretty easily. I am optimistic because you have a good manual.
    Thanks. I did not understand those tables and now I learned some more, about putting upper and lower together to get the full hex number.

I did get it all working very quickly this morning. The call error for some reason was due to lack of a ground connection between the PC and the serial input on the VFD.

I proceeded to write my own brain which contains spindle on & off, which seems to be working successfully. I'm now having problems with art error 9991 Mach3 crashes every time I use the which I was hoping were due to timeout or baud rate settings I changed (I had just copied yours) so was actually just about to try putting them all back to default. There is not much info I can see about this error code on google and the results seem to be unrelated, but it does not happen when I switch modbus off in Mach and change the control method back over to analogue/digital, so it's something in my modbus settings.

Good to know that it seems to work now. I don't know that error code, is it a WB error code? Could it be that there is something wrong in your brain? I mean of course the brain file, not what you have between your ears...

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Good to know that it seems to work now. I don't know that error code, is it a WB error code? Could it be that there is something wrong in your brain? I mean of course the brain file, not what you have between your ears...
    It's art soft error 9991. The spindle keeps running after Mach3 crashes, then when I open Mach3 again after the crash, the spindle turns off but Mach3 gives me error 8877 straight away, which I then press ok and it turns back in to error 9991 and crashes again. Then I reload Mach3 again with the spindle now stopped and it doesn't crash until I try to run the spindle again. Rinse wash repeat.

I don't think it's a problem with my brain, it's a very simple brain (both of them) I have spindle start/stop and set frequency commands then monitoring RPM and current on two user DRO's (1152 and 1153).

If I go in to the modbus config and disable the incoming monitoring signals I can run the spindle and it won't crash. So I think it's a problem with timeouts which I am still playing with, currently set at 50ms on each config and 100ms in the config menu similar to how you set yours up (I know you had some at different timeouts) and it doesn't work with all channels open.

Also, I don't see the user DRO's change with the incoming data, but I think this is probably because of the error/crash. They do work because I have tested them separately but not all together.

I got it all working within 5 minutes this morning now i understand the registries properly.

I also had to run an earth from the serial input board on the VFD to the PC, not sure why but it got rid of the call error.

A major issue using Modbus with usb RS-485 converter in noise interference, You must use star grounding and shielded wires. Setting debounce up in Mach3 will help also. If using a PC I would seriously consider using a Serial RS-485 converter.

I don't understand that picture. There should not be a CFG 1 and in my opinion CFG 3 should have # of registers set to 2. Your VFD is not capable of writing to single registers so it is no point having CFG 1. Try changing, maybe that helps. I have never seen those errors and have no idea. One question though... which version of Mach3 are you using? If not the latest then I think you should update.

Might have a point re noise. I don't think USB is the issue as many seem to be using it problem free, but I don't have a long enough stretch of shielded cable (about 3m) to use so am using ordinary 2 core right now.

Camera I just edited my settings to put spindle run and frequency reference together in the same config as you suggested. It worked ok before but works just as well now and is tidier so will keep it this way. Hasn't stopped the crash.

I just used tried modbus test again and I am now getting CRC error on every command. The spindle run/stop and frequency selection still works despite crc error but the inputs aren't reading anything.

So I must have done something somewhere to cause the CRC error and probably the crash because the currency input definitely worked this morning and now it doesn't.

Note to self: make notes of everything you do.

I would clean up if I were you, and would ignore reading any parameters until writing (sending the commands) works perfectly.

Regarding the wires and noise, you MUST use shielded wires and at least one side must be earthed. I am using (and always used) simple twisted and shielded Ethernet cable. 8 wires but of course, only two are used. I had intermittent issues (mostly CRC) when I only used two wires but after connecting the shield all problems were solved. The USB converter I used was a cheap 5€ one from eBay, but it worked well. Later on I replaced with an Ethernet version because I am using the UC300ETH, so I am only having one Ethernet connection to my LAN switch and can also use Wifi.

We are just guessing because it seems like none of us have ever seen those errors you are getting. Perhaps it is time to reinstall Mach3 or if you have a spare PC, maybe you could make a clean installation. Don't know if it would help, but at least you would have greater control over the status.

BTW, have you checked the Mach3 release you have?

Might have a point re noise. I don't think USB is the issue as many seem to be using it problem free, but I don't have a long enough stretch of shielded cable (about 3m) to use so am using ordinary 2 core right now.
    Yes, many use and also many have problems. depending on set up and VFD this will vary. USB will cause more problems with a noisy system.

To confirm for sure if your VFD accepts single holding registers and it don't say in manual use "Test Modbus".

Some VFD's if using multiple registers(10) will accept the run address for frequency change, Bosch is 1 of them. Some the frequency address has to be add to the multiple register string like it shows in manual.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123