585,676 active members*
5,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
SolidCAM Forum
Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes - Page 25
Page 25 of 38 15232425262735

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Hi!

I will try 5 axis machine. I downloaded the last mega5x .zip file. Added arduino IDE. Compile and upload to arduino mega 2560 board. Nothing changed in "config.h" file. In terminal window:

"Grbl 1.2d ['$' for help]
    [MSG: '$H' | '$X' to unlock]"

Download the grblgru v4.5.0. Connect to the board (com6, grbl-mega-5x). Answer grbl ready @ COM6. I send the "$X" unlock command. Answer is "ok". Try jogging: G0 X10. --> ALARM: 2 [MSG: reset to continue]

Popup window: alarm: something has gone critically wrong. It's recommended to check the axes position.

I try the natural board without any shield, or any contacts. What's the problem?

Thank you for the fast reply! I will try that. It is a wonderful program. Thank you for producing and maintaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that. You can open / close the group boxes with a double click of the left mouse button.
    So just double-click on the text "Actual WorkPosition" and the window will open again.
    Sorry, this is of course not a standard Windows function and therefore not generally known. But it is very useful, especially if you only have a small screen.
    Then you can simply hide boxes that you don't need.

I found it! Default hard limits enabled:
    $21=1 (hard limits, bool)

disabled:
    $21=0 (hard limits, bool)

moving it works! Fine!

Release notes V4.5.12

The currently available measuring methods were perhaps a bit tricky. I have finally got around to revising them again,
    and I hope to have put everything into a more user-friendly form. The new functions are available from version V4.5.12.
    It is possible to measure with a 3D probe as well as electrically via a touch plate.
    I will try to document the operation in 2-3 short videos.
    I would like to start today with probing a workpiece surface with a 3D probe to set the workpiece zero point.

Have fun with GrblGru

Nice work and thanks for sharing it.

I saw you mentioned that GrblGru is not Open Source. However, as you are using Grbl which is licensed under GPLv3, you have to make your software Open Source as well.
    Hope you follow the license and publish your work as well, so everyone can benefit from it.

Thank you,
    but I have to disagree with you. I do not use any GRBL software in my application.
    GrblGru is a CAM program with 3D simulation. It calculates and visualises GCode according to DIN 66025 / ISO 6983, which is used by most professional controllers
    such as Simens Sinumeric, Fanuc, Haas etc. But of course also by GRBL, Mega-5X, TinyG and G2Core.

Anyway, I am also a friend of open source software and will think about whether it makes sense to make GrblGru open source one day.

Here is another short video documenting the new measurement functionality.
    This time it is about the alignment of the workpiece.

Have fun with GrblGru

Hi GrblGru:

I have struggled with importing my CNC design into the machine manager. Here is what I have done (my files are attached so you can see what I have done):

1. Drawn the machine in Sketchup 2017 and exported the 4 elements: Base+.stl; x+.stl; y+.stl; z+.stl

2. Created a new machine in GrblGru and uploaded the files

3. Registered the Z axis in the reference Tool Position Xt,Yt,Zt and accepted the data

4. All of the elements (Base, X, Y, Z) are located correctly in Sketchup and aligned properly. I select the item (such as the X axis element) and export it as an STL in Sketchup. I do this for all of the 4 elements of the model.

The problem is when I import them into GrblGru. All of the items import into the program, but the X and Z are horribly aligned and not at all where I saved them in the model.

Attachment 475150

I have attached all the files to this post in case I am missing something. I have tried opening up a new window in Sketchup and importing the individual STL files into the drawing to see where they import to and how accurate it is. They all import properly and in the correct position. They all have more lines in them than the original drawing and appear slightly different, but are indeed in alignment with the model.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Or is there a numerical setting in the GrblGru program that aligns these elements together that I am missing?

Thank you for this wonderful program! I appreciate how many features it has for CAM and operating my machine. I am in the calibration and set up of the machine I have built from scratch and it is close to being able to really make something if I can get this figured out! I know how many hours making software requires. I am using the latest version that includes the zeroing features you have just released. Wonderful improvement!!

Mark in Murfreesboro TN

Hi ?
    GrblGru can't add new languages now?

@MarkEMark

First of all, sorry for getting back to you so late, but I've only just got around to replying.

You have done everything right with your model. The only thing missing is the information in the Machine Manager.
    It is not absolutely necessary, but I have put the origin of the coordinates in the back right corner, because the other models also have this.

In the zip file you will find the file Maschine.dat which you have to copy into the working directory (C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru).
    You have to copy the file "MarkEMark.tco" into the directory "C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\Models".

If you agree, I will include your beautiful model in the next version.

Wish you much success

@kmimax

Yes, that should actually work. You just have to copy the file with the new language into the directory
    "C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\Language" and then restart the program.
    The new file must have the following syntax. "Language_******.txt"

I would of course be very happy if you would make the file available to me here.
    Then I could make it available to the community in the next version.

Hi GrblGru:

Thank you for your help! I appreciate the effort and understand this is a labor of love and you are donating time and energy to help us.

I would be honored to have you include my machine in your future releases. Please feel free to do so. I had designed my machine in Sketchup so I could build it, and when I saw it could be copied into your program I was eager to do so. This helps tremendously with the set up of my jobs.

Thank you again!

@MarkEMark

First of all, sorry for getting back to you so late, but I've only just got around to replying.

You have done everything right with your model. The only thing missing is the information in the Machine Manager.
    It is not absolutely necessary, but I have put the origin of the coordinates in the back right corner, because the other models also have this.

In the zip file you will find the file Maschine.dat which you have to copy into the working directory (C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru).
    You have to copy the file "MarkEMark.tco" into the directory "C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\Models".

Wish you much success

@kmimax

Yes, that should actually work. You just have to copy the file with the new language into the directory

I would of course be very happy if you would make the file available to me here.

GrblGru:

I have unzipped the file and copied the .dat file into the correct directory and over wrote the previous .dat file. I do not have a subdirectory called “C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\Models” so I copied the MarkEMark.tco file into C:\ProgramData\toe\grblgru\Data\Models. It does not show up in the list of machines. I have obviously done it incorrectly. I restarted the program and still doesn’t show up. I will continue to troubleshoot but am wondering if perhaps I am looking at the system incorrectly. I installed the program originally with all default directories. If I fix the issue I will post here.

Thanks again!

@MarkEMark

Wish you much success

@kmimax

You probably had an older version installed.
    I have now created a new Release version V4.6. Your machine "MarkEMark" is included in it. Thank you for the model
    Please always download the latest beta version in the future.

I will. Thank you!

You probably had an older version installed.
    I have now created a new Release version V4.6. Your machine "MarkEMark" is included in it. Thank you for the model
    Please always download the latest beta version in the future.

Hi
    I hope to add a new language (Chinese) so that more people can use Grblgru as soon as possible
    Attached Files Attached Files

Some terms cannot be found in the document when translating,The above file is wrong. re-upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails w1.jpg   w2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kmimax; 02-05-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Hey GrblGru:

What type of machine should I choose in the Machine manager for my MarkEMark machine? I selected the Shapoko in the machine manager under the extras menu, and in the main menus I selected 3 axis mill in machine type and MarkEMark for the machine. I am trying to troubleshoot my limit switch settings...

I have set the working parameters in the machine per the pictures below and am getting consistent error codes and Exceed limits warnings and can not figure out why. any thoughts would be welcome! :-)

Attachment 475584
    Attachment 475586

X and Y show properly on the previous graphic, but I’d like the Z home to be in the positive location and it is showing in the negative. What I think is happening is after I turn on the $20=1 switch, and homing $22=1, I immediately begin to get alarms and have to reset. Also, when I have managed to run the homing cycle, it will hit the switches and not back off. It continues to try to move and I have to shut down the driver board and move the head manually off the end stop. I have spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what might be going wrong, as I think I have my settings in GRBL set correctly and think this might be my settings in GrblGru in the machine perimeters. I am not sure what the “Reference” settings or “tool” settings. I have 177.8 mm travel distance in the Z axis, but have to put 100 in the Z “tool” reference shown in the graphic below so that the travel to the bottom of the Z axis doesn’t stop midway on the Z axis. If I put a “0” in the Z axis it will stop in the middle of the Z axis, and the top of the travel goes past the top of the Z axis on the model graphic when raised.

But ultimately I am getting Alarm 15’s and 8’s when I try to run a homing cycle or jog any axis. I’m not sure what is going on… :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEMark View Post
    Hey GrblGru:

What type of machine should I choose in the Machine manager for my MarkEMark machine? I selected the Shapoko in the machine manager under the extras menu, and in the main menus I selected 3 axis mill in machine type and MarkEMark for the machine. I am trying to troubleshoot my limit switch settings...

I have set the working parameters in the machine per the pictures below and am getting consistent error codes and Exceed limits warnings and can not figure out why. any thoughts would be welcome! :-)

Attachment 475584
    Attachment 475586

Re: What happened to the controller icons at the bottom of the screen?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with homing because I have not mounted any limit switches on my machines.
    Therefore, I can only describe what is done in GrblGru.

The max and min values for this are entered in the Machine Manager dialogue in chapter "4. Limits".
    The X-values always become more positive to the right, the Y-values always become more positive to the back,
    the Z-values become more positive towards the top.

In chapter "5. Reference Point" the position is entered where the machine will be after the reference run is completed.
    You can check this in simulation mode by pressing the button "Reference point run" in the toolbar.
    The 3D model must then be displayed in the corresponding position.
    In the screenshot I have shown you the data for a reference point in the back right corner.
    There X=Y=Z = 0

In chapter "6. tool" the origin of the tool must be entered in the drawn basic position.
    I had already entered this for you in version V4.6. But I see that this is no longer present in your screenshot.
    I don't know if you have overwritten these values or if you haven't done a complete reinstallation.
    Anyway, you have to enter the values in the screenshot below, otherwise your tool will be displayed in the wrong place.

I recommend that you first take the values from the screenshot and move the axes in simulation mode.
    The X and Y axes must then stop when the min/max values are reached. The same applies to the Z axis if you enter a tool length of L = 30mm.

Monitoring is only done if the "Check limits" switch is set on the settings page.
    So if you think that GrblGru is making a mistake in monitoring, just turn off this switch.

Wish you much success

@kmimax

This is great ! Thank you for your support.

However, I have the problem that I cannot download the zip file. I always get only a file "clear.gif".
    Can you please check it.

Page 25 of 38 15232425262735