585,760 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
SolidCAM Forum
WoodWorking Topics > Facing a long slab on a short CNC

Facing a long slab on a short CNC

Hi folks,
    I have 3 sycamore slabs about 98” long that I need to face/flatten on my 60” long CNC router. I can slide the slabs through the machine but my question is how to register them so that the top stays in the same plane when I slide it. Anyone have a trick for this?

Re: Facing a long slab on a short CNC

If you have a long and stiff straight edge you could set up a horizontal beam at either end outside the working extremities of where the slabs will be and a shade above the top surface.Then check for correct distance above your machine table,Slide the slab in and shim to get it parallel to the straight edge,which should be laid on the horizontal beams.Move along and repeat.

Re: Facing a long slab on a short CNC

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    If you have a long and stiff straight edge you could set up a horizontal beam at either end outside the working extremities of where the slabs will be and a shade above the top surface.Then check for correct distance above your machine table,Slide the slab in and shim to get it parallel to the straight edge,which should be laid on the horizontal beams.Move along and repeat.
    That’s more or less what I was thinking. My first idea was to lay some straight rails under the bottom of the slab and shim between the slab and the rails until it was stable. Haven’t decided how to attach the rails to the slab, I’d rather not run screws into the slab.

I do have some long pipe clamps that could grip the slab at the ends, I doubt that they are straight enough to keep the slab surface perfectly registered.