584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
TDM Systems Forum

Digital. Experienced. Powerful. - 100% Tool Management

MetalWork Discussion > Adding text/color after anodizing

Adding text/color after anodizing

I see lot of aluminium products being anozided black and then there's some text like brand or product name on white text. How do you archieve that? First anozide black and then print the text/other colors somehow?

Also, to get most matte like finish, should I use emery cloth before the anoziding process?

First, a lot of logos and such are silk screened over the anodize. The other option is engraving after plating, then use engravers paint to get what ever color you want.

As far as the most mat finish, bead blasting will net the most uniform mat finish.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    First, a lot of logos and such are silk screened over the anodize. The other option is engraving after plating, then use engravers paint to get what ever color you want.

As far as the most mat finish, bead blasting will net the most uniform mat finish.
    Thanks for the reply!

Does the silk screened print wear off easily?

I'm looking to get this kind of finish, so I guess bead blasting before anoziding is the way to go:

Can good bead blasting be done at home for small parts (to save some money) or is it better to give some shop to do it?

Some silk screening does wear off fairly easy, Ive also seen some that last a while. You can get DIY kits from places like Ebay to try it out. Yes you can do bead blasting at home, you will need a large air compressor and a blasting cabinet. Harbor freight has cheap blasting cabinets, but the air compressor is what will make or break the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Some silk screening does wear off fairly easy, Ive also seen some that last a while. You can get DIY kits from places like Ebay to try it out. Yes you can do bead blasting at home, you will need a large air compressor and a blasting cabinet. Harbor freight has cheap blasting cabinets, but the air compressor is what will make or break the operation.
    You need to be friends with the mechs at your local airport. They always have a nice big bead blast cabinet, and a huge air compressor.

Tom

I would need something that doesn't wear off the second it's moved against another aluminium plate. It will not give very professional impression if the text goes off too easily. So maybe silk screen printing isn't option for me?

Do you agree that the finish on that picture can't be archieved without some sort of blasting?

Hard to tell, but looks bead blasted, then maybe hard anodized. Hard anodize is typically more of a matte black. And any standard printing will rub off against another piece of aluminum. Engraving would be your only option to get white lettering that won't wear off.

Ok. Does the silk printing wear off in rain for example (just trying to figure out how easy it comes off, I guess it lasts better than spray paint at least )?

I looked up some images from google and it looks like bead blasted. I've seen that part in real life and it looks like the surface is made from tiny dots rather than long lines you see on the surface after machining. And in the holes etc it looks more like lines etc so that could mean that the bead blast haven't reached those areas as well as the main surfaces.

Here's another pic that shows the black matte look I'm after: http://www.rankinarms.com/guns/files/unique-002.jpg

I've been reading mixed opinions about the bead blasting. Some people say sand blasting for aluminium is bad if you anodize it and that glass blasting is better. The nsome people say that glass blasting will make more glossy like surface rather than matte...

I prefer the bead blast. Easy enough to have one of each done and plated to see what you like better.

Here's better image of the surface I'm after (the grey part, mine will be black): http://homepage.mac.com/xeonitedog/Kimber04.JPG

How about laser printing? What is plusses and minuses with laser and silk printing for aluminium (if only white print color is needed)?