584,858 active members*
4,461 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
TDM Systems Forum

Digital. Experienced. Powerful. - 100% Tool Management

SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Toolpaths for 2x parts / assembly?

Toolpaths for 2x parts / assembly?

I have stock big enough to cut out 2 different parts.
    The 2 parts were designed independently with SW and are in 2 different files.
    I would like to create 1 toolpath/gcode file to cut out both parts from this single piece of stock... but now sure how to do it.

How do I go about importing 2 parts into a single solidcam project to create toolpaths?
    Do I need to copy both parts into a single SW file first?
    Can I open an assembly in solidcam?

Thanks,
    V

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    I have stock big enough to cut out 2 different parts.
    The 2 parts were designed independently with SW and are in 2 different files.
    I would like to create 1 toolpath/gcode file to cut out both parts from this single piece of stock... but now sure how to do it.

How do I go about importing 2 parts into a single solidcam project to create toolpaths?
    Do I need to copy both parts into a single SW file first?
    Can I open an assembly in solidcam?

Thanks,
    V
    Viroy, you should be able to put the two parts into a higher level assembly and then start a machining project from that higher level assembly. This implies that indeed solidcam can open assemblies. In fact, the solidcam file itself has both part and assembly modes.

ok I created an assembly of the two parts separated by the tool width and on the same plane.
    When I load them into solidcam, it will not let me pick an origin, it will not let me define the stock, and it will not let me choose the proper upper & lower levels.

I want the home coordinate to be directly in the middle (between) the two parts, so i choose 'define' and select a point at one end, then delta 1/2 the width... it does put the origin in the correct spot and XYZ directions are correct... but the green check is greyed out.
    Once again when I try to define the stock, I select both parts which creates a box around them as expected... but the green check is greyed out.
    What is going on here? Why will it not allow me to do this?

Think I have the solution.... but requires inconvenient workaround.
    When I create an assembly in SW, the first part I insert gets 'fixed' and cannot be moved even though it is always off center from the origin.
    So instead I add two of that first part and then delete the first 'fixed' one... I can then move the part to the correct position relative to the origin.
    I then set the XYZ directions of the origin with 'reference geometry -> coordinate system'.
    Then I add the second part and mate as needed. One final check of position relative to origin and then save.
    Now if I open in solidcam, I can choose that origin created in the SW assembly as the origin instead of trying to define a new one
    I can also define stock around both parts and set upper/lower levels properly.
    Working on the toolpath operations right now.