584,812 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
TDM Systems Forum

Digital. Experienced. Powerful. - 100% Tool Management

ViaCad / Shark > VC Pro Issue ?

VC Pro Issue ?

when i hold CTRL when selecting 2nd solid, shouldnt it subtract from the 1st and 2nd stick around, but when i move 2nd object the subtraction goes away after i let off mouse button. v8 or v9. am i doing something wrong? if i select sphere 1st, then CTRL click the cylinder, a portion of sphere is subtracted off and when i move sphere the subtracted section is indeed subtracted.

this is normal. apparently its not a static subtraction using it this way. i dont quite get the functionality, seems to be the same as two solids intersecting. it can be made static by Edit >>> Remove Links from the 1st solid. but doing this removes other things, which may not be desirable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	227486

Often I need to do a subtract and still have the original subtracted object. I use a Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V in place. Its not elegant, but it works. It can be quite slow if its a complex object.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Often I need to do a subtract and still have the original subtracted object. I use a Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V in place. Its not elegant, but it works. It can be quite slow if its a complex object.
    i see the need to add a control key, perhaps ctrl+alt when selecting the 2nd object, this would do static subtraction w/o linkage, which in my mind is a simple subtraction w/o deleting the 2nd object. voila, a no fuss fix.

Re: VC Pro Issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Kid View Post
    this is normal. apparently its not a static subtraction using it this way. i dont quite get the functionality, seems to be the same as two solids intersecting. it can be made static by Edit >>> Remove Links from the 1st solid. but doing this removes other things, which may not be desirable.
    What you are seeing is a history, or "dynamic geometry"..... The sphere get an attribute of "be a cutter on this object" (The link)..... When you move the sphere away, it is no longer cutting the object. In your first scenario, if you move the cylinder away, you will see it is indeed cut..... (That's what you are describing in the second scenario...

You found the answer, but you also mention that removing links was "undesirable" in circumstances.... You described using "edit-remove links", which is kindof a global operation... What you want to do is go to "window-concept explorer" and then select object, to view it's "history" so to speak.... You should be able to find the "single link" you want to remove, without removing "all links" like you described...

Anyway, become familiar with the concept expolorer....