7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
TDM Systems Forum

Digital. Experienced. Powerful. - 100% Tool Management

Uncategorised CAD Discussion > ViaCad

Thread: ViaCad

ViaCad

Anyone here use ViaCad? I downloaded the free trial version of ViaCad 2D/3D v6 and find it to be a steep learning curve. Any feed back from other users would be greatly appreciated.

Jack.

I have got VIACAD 6 in January 09 and am re-learning cad after 15 years of using Dassault Systems CATIA V4. I am using the CAD on a XP machine. The switch from words (line circle plane point) to icons is a bit frustrating but I am adjusting quickly. So far VIACAD 6 has been easier than I had anticipated and switching from 2d to 3d is great. I do not have a CAM program yet. Appears from this thread that MACH3 would be the best solution. For the $100 this CAD software is unbelievable so far.
    Screen CATIA V4: http://http://www.incat.com/index.cf...a=verifiscreen

I also got the 3d Connection Space Navigator space ball. GREAT !
    Good luck.

Tim

I'm checking out ViaCAD right now. 14 day free trial, 99.00 license. Given that my only prior CAD experience was with AutoCAD back in the early 90's, I can only say a few useful things about the program, which I downloaded yesterday.

1. It's sophisticated enough to do what I need, which is to accurately render solid models of guitar designs, index them, layer the parts, etc.

2. It's a heckuva lot easier to use than AutoCAD was. I like the icon menus, ez to recall what's what.

3. It works with a wide variety of CAM software according to the devs; at least one person on CNCZone is using it with CamBam successfully. I think someone else posted that they were using it with MeshCAM. I'll have more to report on that when I've actually exported some files to whatever CAM I end up going with.

In all, it appears to be a great program that meets my design needs for very little money. I'll likely be buying the license in a couple weeks.

I bought ViaCad 2D/3D last January and love it. I once had a legal copy of Ashlar Vellum 99 a 3D drafting program that I liked so much I spent $2000 for Ashlars Solid modler. That was a total loss. It never worked right from the git go. I even had an Ashlar factory sales rep. come to my shop to help me. He was in town as part of a software convention. I brought him to my shop during his lunch hour and he sat at my PC console and could not start the program. They had a WIBU Key for startup that was a disaster. Discussions with the Ashlar pres. for a replacement copy of their new (cheaper) drafting software (even up) were of no avail so I gave up on Ashlar after giving them $2k. Ashlar had a feature called "Drafting Assistant" that was terrific and like no other. The years I spent learning and using Ashlar 3D 2.7 was lost to me until I found ViaCad 2D/3D last January for $99 at Office Max. It has many of Ashlars wonderful features, every bit as powerful as Ashlars Solid modeler at 1/20th the cost. So stay with learning ViaCad and don't forget to look at their "Help " features when you have a problem. ViaCad Is a great buy.
    billybird