588,081 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
CHIRON Group SE Forum

PERFORMANCE MEETS PRECISION

Taig Mills / Lathes > Anyone Operate Taig using E.M.C.?

Anyone Operate Taig using E.M.C.?

I was wondering if there are users out there who Run there CNC Taig from the Linux based system E.M.C. "Enhanced Machine Controller"?
    At the moment I'm trying to finish my entire CNC Taig system so I can so cut some real parts!

I design parts in Pro/Eng and then transfer the STL format for MeshCam to generate.

I'm really eager too get my set-up done before Christmas because I plan on making a few carvings of some family pictures as gifts: Using PhotoVCarve .

If anybody does use EMC, whats your set-up and what did you use for your "HAL Config"

More too come!

-JAson

you might want to go over to the EMC forum here. There is now a step configurator that comes with emc, so you can get it set up without too much pain. The answer to your question depends more on your drive system than the mill itself. There is all kinds of hardware running emc, a Taig fits right in.

Jason,

I have a copy of VCarve but not PhotoVCarve and I run the output on my emc2 controlled router.

I agree with Unterhaus, the issue is more what controller or drives that you are using than the machine itself.

Alan

Acondit, after PhotoVcarve generated my code, what did you save it as? Because I saved it as one of the NC (don't remember the name in front) and when I transfered it too EMC, Errors came up with something like "Error Blah Blah....incorrect lettering :.

Any idea?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Acondit, after PhotoVcarve generated my code, what did you save it as? Because I saved it as one of the NC (don't remember the name in front) and when I transfered it too EMC, Errors came up with something like "Error Blah Blah....incorrect lettering :.

Any idea?

-Jason
    Jason,

A few months ago I went to the Vectric Software forum and asked about it. I haven't used it for a while but the secret has to do with choosing the correct post processor in VCarve.

Here is a link to the thread where I asked the question. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37112

Here is basically the best answer that I got. You probably have to run some of the demos to get the hang of it.
    Alan,

Give the Vectric demos a try if you haven't already. I don't know how many times I carved the "puppies in a basket" demo under PhotoVcarve but it was quite a few while I was tuning the parameters (steps per inch, acceleration, velocity, etc.) in EMC2. I just use the G Code (inch).tap or G-Code Arcs (inch).tap postprocessors. So far I use my Windows PC for CAD/CAM, copy the gcode to a usb flash drive, load it onto my Linux EMC2 PC in the garage, and run it. It's definitely nice to have a dedicated machine controller.

Justin
    Alan

That did help I mean, didn't test it, but that was something I wanted too know.

-Jason