586,103 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
CHIRON Group SE Forum

PERFORMANCE MEETS PRECISION

HURCO > KMB-1 conversion options

KMB-1 conversion options

Ok so I just got an early 80's KMB-1. I really do not want to use a phase converter so I am looking at option to remove pretty much all the wire and boards from the cabinets and go with Centroid Acorn just trying to figure out if Acorn will work with the original servos and what drivers I could use to accomplish it. I really dont want to use Mach 3 or 4 for this build. What option do I have for drivers? I build a robust CNC router using Mach 3 with closed Loop steppers but have never messed with servos, are they controlled by step and direction like steppers?

Re: KMB-1 conversion options

If you have the Hurco FET drives, they are controlled by a 0-10v analog signal (actually most servo drives are). About 5 years ago I converted a SM-1 ( the knee version of the KMB). I used LinuxCNC and a cheap computer. Mine did stay 3 phase on a converter, but could easily have been converted to single phase. You need a VFD capable of single to 3 phase conversion for the spindle motor. I don't know anything about the centroid, unfortunately.

I will check on the servo when I get home, Like I said I am new to them servos. Centroid is similar to Mach3 but you have to use there board and need touchscreen to operate.

Hi,
    Mach3, or better Mach4 and Centroid Acorn are all open loop Step/Dir controllers. If you have old school analog servos as seems likely then neither Mach (3 or 4) or Centroid Acorn
    will work. Centroid Oak will however drive analog servos at extra cosy and complexity.

To be honest I would be swapping the old analogue servos out for modern AC servos. If you've never fiddled with servos before then old analog servos are a baptism by fire.

I used 750W Delta B2 series servos on my machine and I buy those for $438USD plus shipping each. Good quality, support, documentation and most importantly free setup
    and tuning software, at fair prices. Taiwanese brand made in China. Another very worthy brand is DMM, Canadian brand made in China, good quality etc at fair prices.

Craig

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html