587,375 active members*
3,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
DMG MORI Forum
FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > FeatureCam V11

FeatureCam V11

FeatureCam will be releasing it's latest version sometime in June. They will post an evaluation copy for anyone interested to play with at that time. You can find it at the address below.

http://www.featurecam.com/

Good luck!

Skillet

I sure wish the airline industry would turn around so I could talk my boss into upgrading. I’m stuck back on V7. If anyone is thinking about moving to a high end CAM, I can’t say enough good about FeatureCam.

Gary

do you work for nwa or a sub? i used to be a mech. at nwa. Todd

Good hearing from you Gary! I think you and I are the only ones here that are using FeatureCam. I don't know what they are charging for upgrades, but 1 plus to doing it is that they will give you the next version as well. We are running it here on our lathe and machining centers and I have no complaints. Easy to learn and operate, and their Tech support can't be beat. I know that they are not cheap, but when you see all of the different tools they give you, it is something to consider.

Skillet

Todd, you have a PM.

Skillet, glad to see you still stop by, but this must be the slowest section on the forum.

Gary

"I have no complaints. Easy to learn and operate, and their Tech support can't be beat. "

EGS is one of the nicest companies to deal with in the CAD/CAM business by a long shot. FeatureCAM also has a *much better laid out UI* when compared to most of it's competition.

I have a couple of questions to ask about the latest version of FeatureCAM. Please note I have not spent anytime with FeatureCAM since Version 8.

1. Has dimensioning in FeatureCAM been improved ?

2. It use to be that you could not manipulate a NURB spline except by entering new x,y,z data. For instance you could not tug on control points. Has this been changed ?

3. The bottom part of the screen always had a strip that wasted like 2" worth or real estate. Has this been dealt with ?

Any specifics anyone wishes to share would be appreciated. I don't have the time right now to spend with the latest version as I'm putting in 70 hour work weeks.

jon

Questions,
    How well does this software import .dwg drawings?
    How well does this software show 4th axis rendering?

There are a few users out there.
    Import in many different formats is very good, including .dwg. There are tools to customize the file as it is imported. Things you might lose, at least in V7 are layers, hidden lines, text, colored lines, and you may have to adjust the scale if your import settings weren’t right.

Simulation has always been pretty good in 3D; I’ll have to download V11 when it is available and see how it treats 4th and 5th axis simulation. If you download the demo you get full function except you can’t save a file or post code.

Gary

SRT,

In the newer versions, you can just simply open AutoCad files, as well as many other formats. Dwg., Dxf., Iges., are just a few, and I know Solidworks, Parasolids, and CATIA, as well. You can import and export many different formats. FeatureCam is excellent with 4th Axis rendering and will do 5th Axis as well. I don't know if you have been to their site, but you can download a free evaluation copy of the 2004 version and see for yourself. It won't let you save your work or generate G Code but you can at least grafically see what it looks like and simulate tool paths.

Skillet.

JohBanquer,
    Dimensioning as much better now, and they have made it more like AutoCad. Also you can manipulate surfaces in the manner you described, such as locking on to a point and streching in whatever direction you desire. The have dealt with the bottom of the screen issue as well. That space is actually there so you can customize toolbars or see data such as estimated run time X,Y,Z, coordinates, tool info, etc. You can turn that stuff of or on as you desire. I have been working long hours as well, and it looks good on the paycheck, but will wear you down. Take it easy!
    Skillet

Skillet,

"Dimensioning as much better now, and they have made it more like AutoCad. "

Always liked AutoCAD dimensioning. Powerful, lots of options. Nice to see that EGS took care of this. I mentioned this to Kyle a few years ago as something I felt was very important to fix and he agreed.

"Also you can manipulate surfaces in the manner you described, such as locking on to a point and streching in whatever direction you desire."

Another big help. I felt that before one would pretty much have to export to something like Rhino for
    even a simple spline modification.

Sounds like I really need to find the time when Version 11 becomes available to download it and spend the time seeing what's new in FeatureCAM.

These changes show me that EGS continues to listen and fix what needs to be fixed. I'd really like to see EGS gain market share because they certainly deserve to have it.

I can't stress enough to anyone reading this how much better EGS is to work with than most CAD/CAM companies.... no atitude problem, they learn from their mistakes, they have an excellent and consistent vision for FeatureCAM that follows a natural and logical progression. They fix what is broken or what they do not get right the first time.

Thank you for taking the time to directly respond to my questions.

"I have been working long hours as well, and it looks good on the paycheck, but will wear you down. Take it easy!"

I am beyond worn down... I am totally burned out at this point. Seems to me that is often the nature of this business.

When it rains, it pours.

jon

Jon,
    I talk to Kyle all the time, and he has been most helpful to me. The FeatureCam people have partnered themselves with AutoCad, therefore the common features. I work at the University of Mississippi, high energy Physics department, and am involved in projects all over the country. When I receive most of my drawings from most places, it is usually in some other format. With FeatureCam, I am not limited to one single CAD system. I have the ability to use FeatureCam as a format exchange. I have used 3D studio max and Rhino a little and I would say they have an edge, but FeatureCam is closing the gap. Their newer version has greater power to do 3D modeling than ever before. When you get some time off, it is definitlly worth it to check it out.
    Skillet

Thanks for your reply's.
    My last look was a V7 Demo.
    I still have all the info in my file cabinet from East Tech 2000.
    I'll take another look when V11 Demo is available.
    Could someone post that info. when it is available.
    Thank you.

No Problem,
    It should be next month, but I'll post it when it does come available. Good talking with you!
    Skillet

Any of you guys interested in the Eastec show in Mass., Featurecam is going to have a booth to show off there latest stuff. I think it is the 25th- thru the 27th of this month and they will be in booth 1608. I hope they will be ready with V11, by then

Skillet

Downloaded the new demo---WOW!!! How many arms and legs does something like this cost?

used to be 13,000 back in 2001 :P

I think it is closer to $15000 for the total package, unless you are with a school. If so, they give a pretty good price break. They are shipping the new upgrade now, if you have the current maintenance agreement.
    Thanks for looking!