586,708 active members*
2,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
DMG MORI Forum
FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > FeatureCam vs Edgecam for Milling

FeatureCam vs Edgecam for Milling

We are looking to purchase software for 2 1/2d and 3d Milling. Looking for some views on one over the other. Also one of our programmers is very proficient with solidworks, if this may sway your preference.

Thanks in Advance. Mark

If Your using SW for your modeling, [unless you have other people using other software] why wouldn't you use something embeded into SW? Something like SolidCAM or CAMworks?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We currently do not have any mill software (cad or cam) other than Bobcad. We are just now getting into more complex mill parts that we feel the need to upgrade from Bobcad. Our mill guy has had previous experience with SolidWorks and used mastercam to create the code. We do have Edgecam on the Lathe side of things so the first thought was just to turn on the mill side of Edgecam. I have heard very good things about Featurecam though and wanted to check it out before we pulled the trigger. The main things I've heard from company's is they are drastically reducing their programming times. I'm trying to get a feel for why that is. Is it just the types of parts they are doing? Maybe novice programmers have a much easier time with it? Maybe to the experienced programmer it would not make a difference? I hope this additional information helps all of you, as to what I'm looking for.

Thanks, Mark

Have your programmers download the eval copy of FM and take it for a ride. I think they will like it.
    Gary ;-)