588,277 active members*
6,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
EZCAM Forum
Bridgeport / Romi Lathes > New to me EZ Path lathe has some gremlins…need guidance

New to me EZ Path lathe has some gremlins…need guidance

I bought this machine from the original owner at an online auction, so I wasn’t able to run it prior to purchase. I was told everything worked fine, but it had been sitting for “about 10 years”. Once I got it in my shop, I booted it up and got a some errors.

CMOS system options not set
    CMOS display type mismatch
    Run setup utility
    Press F1 to resume

I did a little reading, figured the battery on my motherboard was probably bad, so I booted it up to verify and got a different error message this time.

CMOS battery state low
    Run setup utility
    Press F1 to Resume

Ok, yep the battery was reading under 1V even when the machine was left off for 30 minutes. Ordered a replacement and got it swapped out. Now I booted up the machine again and the message I get now is:

CMOS checksum failure
    Run setup utility
    Press F1 to Resume

So I’m guessing I need to get the backup programs and reload everything? I have searched around and have found a few things, but not a lot of solid information on this machine. I’m guessing this is an EZ Path S?

The ID tag on the machine says:
    Serial number: 002-077587-325
    Model: EZ Path
    Date: 28-3-94

So I guess my questions are
    1. Any idea what these errors mean?
    2. Do I need to get the disks and reload the operating system?
    3. Would this be an EZ Path “S”? I can’t find that identification anywhere on the machine.

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: New to me EZ Path lathe has some gremlins…need guidance

...Welcome Kip.

Do you have any manuals? Next, look for place on the motherboard to plug in a Keyboard so, you can boot to dos. Could be a 5 Pin DIN Plug type. then bootup holding the Delete key or maybe some other Key F1, F2 etc to get into the BIOS settings. Try loading defaults then F10 to save and reboot system....see what happens because the PLC exe file is maybe ok. Does this EZ Path have a HDD? maybe a compac flash?

DJ

Thanks for the response, I have the “Installation and Maintenance Manual” which just covers leveling,oil checks,etc and I have the “Programming and Operations Manual”. Neither one of them have much of anything in the way of schematics or troubleshooting.
    I’ve found a full size keyboard, but the unfortunately it’s the small 5 pin DIN connector. Adapter will be here in a few days.
    As for mass storage, it has a massive 261mb HDD. I have to laugh at that because it’s a lot bigger than the HDD I had on my PC 20 years ago. I will update once my keyboard adapter comes in. Thanks

...that's funny I remember those mind blowing fast CPU days too. So, you know what your dealing with some what fixing the EZ Path PC system. I found a pro/op manual online here for a 1996
    https://hotteam67.org/Resources/Mach...%20ProgMan.pdf
    ...reading thru the Appendix A (page 100 pdf) discusses the files your're going to be looking for on the HDD. But 1st, once you set (Auto detect) to boot from HDD and reset VGA size the EZ Path should start up.

DJ

Sorry for the long delay. I ended up hooking up a different monitor because my factory CRT had dead spots. Went into BIOS settings and loaded defaults like was suggested, now the only error I’m getting is “HDD controller failure”
    Also any thoughts on swapping out the floppy drive for a floppy/usb emulator? Apparently the 3 disks I thought were backups are just 2 update disks & 1 disk on programs from the previous owner. Now I’m on the hunt for the factory software.

...So, I see you're making progress with the machine that "everything worked fine"...lol. joking aside want you are saying is the HDD is dead? Is there more than one HDD ? or maybe sometimes a 1GB CF card is added to replace the HDD. Which you can add to replace the hdd O/S.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25617863296...Bk9SR8Dx5bXPYg

Yes, there is only the one HDD that I can find. I honestly don’t know if the HDD is dead or has just lost all data from sitting for 10 years, then being moved 120 miles. I doubt it, but I guess anything is possible. I know the CMOS battery was junk, but I wouldn’t think that would’ve affected the HDD.
    Yeah this is the second CNC I’ve bought at an online auction that was supposed to be “in working order”. You’d think I’d learn my lesson. Haha

...if, your FDD is working you can use a Windows95/98 Startup Disk to boot the system to dos prompt....then possible to look at any devices with files...or maybe you know how to use dos o/s....you may have to set BIOS to boot from A:/ to make FDD boot first.

DJ