588,490 active members*
4,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
EZCAM Forum
Stepper Motors / Drives > 12v 1amp

Thread: 12v 1amp

12v 1amp

I bought a 4XCNC10A from Delgrange and since I'm a electronics n00b I need some help...

My motors are Vexta
    PH268-22: 0,882Nm (unipolar), 0,68A (unipolar) -> 0,48A bipolar
    PH299-03: 2,16Nm (unipolar), 1,0A (unipolar) -> 0,71A bipolar

I was told that I need to put 12ohm resistance and 18ohm for the two types of motors if I want to run them at 24v. The resistance goes to four of the six motor leads. Do I put in these to protect the motor electronics from the higher voltage..? The electronics shop that I went too didn't have exact 12 and 18 ohms that I wanted so I wonder if its possible to use higher or lower resistance. How can I calculate this give the motor data above and 24v?

Another thing was that when I talked to the guy in the electronics shop he said that I need more than the rated amp of the motors when the motor starts so he suggested that I should buy a 10 amp power supply.. Is this so or is the actual need of the motor only 1a if it say so on the motor?

If I have 3 12v 1amp motors, then I need 12v 3x motor amp for it to supply the 3 motor?

One last question for now.. What happens if I supply more amp than recommended and need is this harmful to a motor?

Thanks for any feedback.

[

Thanks for the explanation

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    also...
    you're looking at alot of money here in resistors. (unless you find them in a surplus store) you might find it would be cheaper and easyer to buy say a hobbycnc chopper or a xylotex controllers. They are both microstepping. so that will help alot.

Ok are you saying that if I have a xylotex controller I don´t need to have any added resistors and I can hook the motors directly to the controller..?

yep you have to set the "max amps" with a adjustment on the board but that is all