587,619 active members*
3,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
HEIDENHAIN Forum
Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > New 24 x 48 laser project log - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 23456
    I spoke to my guy in china and he has had no problems shipping lasers to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I spoke to my guy in china and he has had no problems shipping lasers to the US.

Good to hear there hasn't been any problems.

Do you know if they have 110/220VAC PSU's as well, or just 220VAC?

They have 110v, and that is what I'm ordering.

The laser shoots down the X and picks up a mirror that shoots it down the Y. The beam is always in contact with the mirror shooting down the Y. See the pictures here - http://www.emissiontechnologies.com/xy.htm
    Question...

On the commercial laser engravers I've seen, instead of having the Z axis on the gantry, they raise/lower the table itself to focus to the height of the workpiece.

It's hard to tell from the photos in that link, but is he/are you going to be able to laser engrave things that are (lets say) 4" tall, like the lid of a jewelery box?

I'm trying to figure out the minimum quantity of mirrors needed to do this and I'm getting stummped. If I were to mount the laser as if it was aimed at the ceiling without any mirrors, then no problem.

But this laser is almost 50" long, and that doesn't seem practical for many reasons, does it?

Jim...

I'm using 4 mirrors and the laser will be mounted parallel to the X. My laser head with the lens is adjustable up and down. The machine I'm building for a very specific purpose so I would not be able to engrave anything that tall.

My new laser is on order and should be hear in 2 weeks, so will see how it goes.

My First Post. My first impression is that this is a great place to be. I wish I had access to this site 7 years ago when I built up my first cnc conversion of a Taylor Hobson engraving pentagraph (light milling machine). At present (last 3 years) working on conversion of a Japanese 1.5 ton drawing machine, to a laser cutting table (900 x 700 mm) Having troubles with modulation control of a 40w Laakman (1982) Laser. (unit was missing its control when purchased
    I'll be here often
    Kiwi from down under (New Zealand)

Got my lasers today.

Got my lasers today.
    So, where's the photos of your new baby? =)

I'll get some up asap, I have the mechanics all done and spent the weekend painting the base for the mechanics to sit on. I tested the speed of the stepper motors and I can easily get the 300ipm I was looking for. I so pleased with how my design worked out. Now I just need to mount the laser, mirrors, lens and I'll be on my way to cutting parts.

Paul
    I'm very interested in your new laser (Cost , power , supplier , use you are putting it to etc)
    I've been checking out Chinese lasers,
    http:www.//chinaoptronics.com
    Is this your source?
    Kiwi Keith

Paul

How is this project going?

I have also contacted the Chinese lasers people at
    http://www.chinaoptronics.com . I got a quick reply and thought I would post
    a sample price. They forwarded prices for tubes from 4W to 80W. I will upload the price/product list if anyone is interested. I am seriously thinking about building a xy laser table
    similar to the one in discussion here but want to wait to see how this project goes.

50 watt tube (length 1250 mm) - $296.00
    Matching Power Supply $650.00

This does not cover air freight. They want payment via wire transfer. Shipment
    within 20 cays.

This is a very informative thread. I hope it continues. Thanks.

Kent

It's going well, I only have weekends to work on the laser, but all that is left is to bolt-up the mechanics to my base and hook up the laser and all the wiring. Than I have to make a few mirror holders and a fixture for my cold mirror for visible laser alignment. The price you gave probably does not include shipping that will be another 200.00 +/-.

Hello,

http://www.emissionstechnologies.com sells plans, tubes, parts kits, optics and everything else you need to build a laser cutting table.

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

Their none that I have found on the Internet of homebuilt cnc laser machines. This site is it. Their one place that sells kit but he will not tell you about any thing about the mechanics of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ballendo
    Hello,

http://www.emissionstechnologies.com sells plans, tubes, parts kits, optics and everything else you need to build a laser cutting table.

Hope this helps,

Ballendo
    He is WAY to exspensive on his laser tubes and power supplies.

ok so lasers are new to me , but is it possible to use fibre optic's to carry the light from the laser to the what i would call the cutting head , i.e the z carrage , or because of the levels involved it's beyond being done because of cost or safety, anyway i look forward to reading this thread so i can get more insight into what is needed , before i buy the wrong bits for cutting Balsa & liteply , look forward to pics too .

Dave

He is WAY to exspensive on his laser tubes and power supplies.
    Paul.

Agreed. But what do you think of his table and optical delivery?

Ballendo

P.S. Is the best source you've found the "made in China" Link you posted earl;ier in the thread?

His table is a good design, but if you have a way I'd build your own, my machine is a much better design than his is and was 1/4 of his price to build. I'm using hobbycnc driver board and his steppers adding to the reduce in total cost.

Well, I made lots of progress, this weekend, I have the plywood installed, install the vent, heat exchanger and layout all the components (psu, controller etc). I now need to make a container for my water pump, I'm going to submerse it. I also have my lens holder done. I will post pictures of everything as soon as I can.

Page 4 of 13 23456