586,094 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
HEIDENHAIN Forum
CNC Tooling > Internal thread cutting tools

Internal thread cutting tools

I'm looking for suggestions on internal and external thread cutting tools that would work well with my lathes ATC. I'm starting with nothing.

I can figure out the external (though suggestions still welcomed) but I'm not sure what are good options for the internal.

As a first thread cutting project I want to make a 5/8-18 female to 9/16-18 female coupler out of 3/4" brass hex stock (internal threading). My tap kit doesn't have these sizes. I'd also like to be able to thread other smaller sized holes that I don't have taps for (rather than buying taps). I'd like to get a good set as I dislike starting a project and finding I don't have the right tool and having to wait .....

More info:
    Lathe is an Intelitek Prolight 3000. It has the factory tool changer (see images below).

There are four 1/2" round mounts for boring bars, drills and internal cutters. The lathe came with a couple of 1/2" Criterion stubby boring bars (7250B and 7375B) but nothing to cut threads.

A set of stubby indexable internal cutters which are all 1/2" mount but a variety of hole diameters would be ideal but I'm not sure this exists.

I'm seeing the SEL/SER indexable cutting tools and also "small diameter" internal cutting like the following:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799974812840.html
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804427921570.html

Long I can see maybe being useful for deeper holes but since I can't set the tool back in my changer I'm concerned about deflection for most projects so I'd probably have to shorten. Also for anything with a mounting OD less than 1/2" I'd presumably have to machine a sleeve to fit the changer?

For budgetary reasons I'm probably looking at Chinese made tooling (or good used USA on eBay).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool2.jpg   tool1.jpg  

Re: Internal thread cutting tools

Hello, we are manufacturer of cbn insert from China.
    We can give you advice about how to choose insert.
    Welcome to enquiry.
    Whatsapp: +86-18282557341
    E-mail: [email protected]

Re: Internal thread cutting tools

we are a manufacturer of custom clothing products from Pakistan named <a href="https://foxedosports.com/">foxedo sports</a>. If you want any custom products visit the foxedo sports website.