588,515 active members*
4,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
HEXAGON - Banner
HEXAGON Forum

Design. Make. Inspect.

Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > CNC Engraving (metal) Machine Recommendations?

CNC Engraving (metal) Machine Recommendations?

My company is asking me to look into metal engraving CNC machines. I have no experience with them, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations for us (brands/models to look at or avoid). We are not looking for laser engraving machines, only mechanical engravers.

We are going to be engraving 316 stainless watch case-backs, so the work envelope doesn't need to be huge. Again, I've never done engraving, I'm just a CNC hobbiest who is being tasked with this search since I have some limited experience programming CNC jobs.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!!

(I looked at other threads related to this, but many are over 4 years old so I am reviving this topic)

Re: CNC Engraving (metal) Machine Recommendations?

Markings or light Engravings in steel/stainless can easily be handled with a light engraver.

I would look for Gravotech / Gravograph machines, eventually Vision Engravers in the US, knowing you will probably need to get a CAD/CAM that runs with it.

Avoid any solution that cannot provide you with the complete system as you will probably face interfacing issue between your applications and what the machine is actually capable (i.e precision to match a vise position and the CAD/CAM reference)

Re: CNC Engraving (metal) Machine Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Balistix View Post
    Markings or light Engravings in steel/stainless can easily be handled with a light engraver.

I would look for Gravotech / Gravograph machines, eventually Vision Engravers in the US, knowing you will probably need to get a CAD/CAM that runs with it.

Avoid any solution that cannot provide you with the complete system as you will probably face interfacing issue between your applications and what the machine is actually capable (i.e precision to match a vise position and the CAD/CAM reference)
    I forgot to mention that I already have access to cad/cam software (carve pro/ solid works /CamWorks)

thank you you for the reply! Will look at those brands