4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
HEXAGON - Banner
HEXAGON Forum

Design. Make. Inspect.

Dynapath > Delta 20 Rigid Tapping

Delta 20 Rigid Tapping

I was wondering if someone could comment on how well the rigid tapping feature worked on the Dynapath Delta 20 controller. I know it was offered as an option for the control but would like to get some feedback on how well it works in application.

The reason I ask is that I'm considering converting my mill to incorporate this functionality but need to find out if its worth the effort.

Wink tapping

I have the Tree 325 with the Delta 20 controller. I have to use the tapping holders that have a little spring play to them. They work fine . If you just put a tap in a drill chuck or holder alone , for me it seems to get alittle off coming back out. The speed and feed stay the same but on reverse out it sometimes gets off the same pitch going in. The tap holder with play solved that problem . Tap size was 1/4-36 through 1/4" alum.

Hope this helps.

i was pretty sure that no one was ever going to respond to my question. that does help, thanks!

I HOPED THAT SOMEONE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE WOULD HAVED HELPED YOU. I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR A RETROFITTER FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS AND HAVE HELPED WITH THE INSTALLATION OF ABOUT A DOZEN OR MORE DYNAPATH CONTROLS. I CAN TELL YOU THAT RIGID TAPPING CAN BE DONE. RIGID TAPING IS A SOFTWARE OPTION THAT NEEDED TO BE PURCHASED. THE SPINDEL MOTOR HAS TO HAVE AN ENCODER ON IT AND MUST BE ABLE TO RESPOND QUICK ENOUGH FOR THE CONTROL.

JOE

thats ok, I'm in the minority here on CNC zone with my Delta 20 controller but it seems the skill level of those who answer my questions is much higher.

the machine I own doesn't currently have a spindle encoder so my question of "does it work" was also about whether it would be worth the effort of installing the encoder, VFD and swapping the mechanical speed variator with a timing belt.

since rigid tapping is a valuable feature IMHO it sounds like its probably worth the effort, now only if i could find the time....