586,089 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
Mastercam Forum

Shaping the future of manufacturing

SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > SolidCAM Post: Fanuc Wire EDM

SolidCAM Post: Fanuc Wire EDM

I need a SolidCAM Post for a Fanuc type Wire EDM. I have a 1991 Hitachi machine that wont read the generated code for Makino or Sodick which is all I have by default with Solidcam 2008.

When running 4axis programs I need to be able to output X,Y,U,V coordinates.

Does anyone out there have this post?

Thanks,
    Wolfe

same problem here...

Hi, I have the exact same problem, have you figured it out yet? Or does anyone have a post that can manage this?

thanks

SolidCAm allows users full access to edit and create post processors. Have a look at the GPP help files, download the GPP manual and make a copy of an existing wire post. Then make a CAM program of a test part and (long-hand if necessary) program the code as it ought to be. Then start making changes in your copy of the wire post until you get the CAM / post output matching the sample code.

Looks easy when you write it like that, doesn't it? It isn't easy but it ain't as hard as some people make out.

For X, Y U & V co-ordinates, you need to know the rules for when when such co-ordinates come into play then put those rules into logic before putting them down in GPP programming language.

I don't know of many wire eroders in this area of the forum but there is an active and knowledgable band of post tweakers who are happy to share their experiences. Have a go, there is everything to gain.

I'll give it a try...

OK thanks, I'm aware of that, I'm used to modify my milling post-processors all the time, but I cant seem to find how to output the U,V coordinates on the Gcode. Guess I'll have to try harder. If I get to some positive results is it OK to post the post-processor here in the forum? So that other people could test it?

thanks...

I'm back with good news (I think...)

:banana:
    OK, so here is the my modified post-processor for old wire EDM hitachi machine such as H-cut models with Fanuc controlers, it outputs x,y,u,v in every line block, adds g92 in the x, y insertion point, adds g90 in the beginning, and
    removed all unnecessary code, for me at least...

Disclaimer:
    I'll not be held responsible for any damage cause by the use of this post-processor, so you need to test it first to ensure there are no problems

Hope it helps..
    Attached Files Attached Files

...opps...

ok, so I just noticed that the toolpath name in solidcam as to start with "X_4***" or else we dont get the U, V output... I'm going try to change that...
    :tired:

...correction...

correction, it as to start with an capital "X"... still trying to change that...

...not easy...

looks like the solution is to use one capital "X" at the start of every job name for 4 axis toolpath in solidcam tree, and for angle toolpath (x, Y + angle) I've modified it to use G51/G52 and taper (T) only when job name starts with capital "A", as for simple profile (X,Y) it as to start with any other letter/number except "A" or "X".

I send picture, and new version of post-processor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sc_tree.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

WARNING!!!

this post does not works, after testing the coordinates are wrong... working on it.

edit: after all it works... sorry my bad

Talking my bad....

OK, so, the last version I uploaded here is VALID and IT WORKS , I was assuming it was wrong because I forgot to set the "cutting mode" in the machine taper settings to 1, it as to be set to the value "CUTTING MODE: 1", and I was first testing it in cutting mode 10 that didn't work.

Also you have to set the "program plane" and the "drawing plane" on the taper settings according to the same values you have on your coordsys definition in Solidcam.

And that´s it

I have to FanucW and a few more for Wire.
    [email protected]