586,082 active members*
3,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
Siemens Digital Industries Software Forum

Where today meets tomorrow.

Benchtop Machines > Boxford 160TCL lathe restore and retrofit - video and help!

Smile Boxford 160TCL lathe restore and retrofit - video and help!

Hello all,
    I have been a long time member but have not been on for a while. I have posted a youtube video showing the first part of my Boxford 160TCL benchtop lathe restore and retrofit.

I hope to use the machine for small jobs where creating the geometry would be difficult on my manual machines. I have retrofitted a Centec 2 mill with CNC a few years ago so I am not a complete beginner.

you can see form the video that so far i have cleaned, derusted and painted the machine. Turning it on I could jog the axes but the spindle did not run.

Ideally I would replace the control board with a BOB, fix the drive and run the machine with mach 3 or equivalent - spending as little as possible but still getting the machine to produce useful part (albeit slowly!)

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has retrofitted a similar machine. I have searched the threads and most of the retrofit activities on this are a good few years old. I would also be interested if anybody has some pointers for trouble shooting the drive - it has the Lenzes 53(4?) drive. do these have weak points that it would be good to check before condemning the drive.

for those of a machining and making bent some of my other videos may be of interest.

thank you all!

Re: Boxford 160TCL lathe restore and retrofit - video and help!

Its a Lenze VFD? does it have a display?

If no error codes are displayed- Check the for an enable/run circuit on the control terminals of the drive. I'd guess it probably has a run input, a fwd/rev input, and probably some kind of enable/safety wired up.

I'd find a manual, jump out any safety/ enable circuits necessary, and set the drive for local/manual function assuming it has it, to try to run manually from the drive to see if it works.

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

If no error codes are displayed- Check the for an enable/run circuit on the control terminals of the drive. I'd guess it probably has a run input, a fwd/rev input, and probably some kind of enable/safety wired up.

I'd find a manual, jump out any safety/ enable circuits necessary, and set the drive for local/manual function assuming it has it, to try to run manually from the drive to see if it works.

Good luck

judging by the adjusting plate for the pulleys I'm guessing emco had a hand in that lathe ? If thats the case then it may broaden part searches and you may be able to find a replacement control for your spindle on ebay . A lot of emco parts come up on ebay and it may be helpful if they share some of the same parts . Personally I'd pull it and replace it with a kb board to run that dc motor , at least for the short term to get it up and running .
    I'd avoid mach and go with linuxcnc to run it . Mach lathe is a turd and linuxcnc is much better for running lathes in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    judging by the adjusting plate for the pulleys I'm guessing emco had a hand in that lathe ? If thats the case then it may broaden part searches and you may be able to find a replacement control for your spindle on ebay . A lot of emco parts come up on ebay and it may be helpful if they share some of the same parts . Personally I'd pull it and replace it with a kb board to run that dc motor , at least for the short term to get it up and running .
    I'd avoid mach and go with linuxcnc to run it . Mach lathe is a turd and linuxcnc is much better for running lathes in my opinion
    Thanks metal mayhem. The prevailing opinion seems to be to avoid Mach for serious lathe work. I like the idea of using Mach to get started and then dive into Linux and see how I get on. The kb drive looks interesting. I assume it has a voltage ‘speed demand’ input?

Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice. I will track down a diagram and ensure the drive has power and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by dreeewman View Post
    Thanks metal mayhem. The prevailing opinion seems to be to avoid Mach for serious lathe work. I like the idea of using Mach to get started and then dive into Linux and see how I get on. The kb drive looks interesting. I assume it has a voltage ‘speed demand’ input?

The kb boards are pretty basic and are controllable with a potentiometer for speed . If you buy a board which has the addon board then it'll be built in . I cooked the motor on my emco compact which was an ac motor and it's been temporarily replaced with an emco dc motor , and the kb board does a good job of running it . Key thing is to have the right resistor to match the hp of the motor , they are cheap . At least this way it is a cheap temporary fix til you can find a proper driver for your lathe

I've been running linuxcnc on my emco for quite a few years and it works great . I tried mach with 2 of my more recent lathes and after a couple hours of farting around with it I installed linuxcnc and am better for it . It installs easy and it's easy to work with . The wizard will pretty much walk you through the setting up