586,075 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
Siemens Digital Industries Software Forum

Where today meets tomorrow.

Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Transferring Mach3 to Another PC

Transferring Mach3 to Another PC

I have Mach3 running my CNC on a Windows 8.1 laptop and I want to replace the laptop with a desktop pc running Windows10. Can I just copy my .XML file from the laptop to desktop and all will be fine or I should configure the desktop from scratch?
    Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: Transferring Mach3 to Another PC

Hi,
    Yes you should be able to copy the .xml across.
    That said, I’d recommend going through all the configuration tabs including the motor tuning values and write them down just in case something goes wrong.

It’s good practice to do this regardless of whether you’re transferring to a new computer or not. Just in case the computer dies.

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Thanks Peter, actually I always snip (take a picture) of all configuration tabs / motor tuning of my setup. I find it faster and much easier to read all details

Cheers
    Nicolas

I always copied the whole mach folder from the old computer , installed mach on the new computer then copy pasted and overwrote the newly installed mach folder in C: .

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I always copied the whole mach folder from the old computer , installed mach on the new computer then copy pasted and overwrote the newly installed mach folder in C: .
    Well the idea sound good but in my case I have Windows 8.1 in one pc and Windows 10 in the other. No idea if it will work.
    Nicolas

It worked fine for me migrating from xp to 7 . it's all the same folder and installed components no matter the windows system , there is no reason for it not to work . You'd just need to install mach and the necessary drivers that you currently have installed , then overwrite the folder so that you pass along your configurations and any screen mod's or anything of the sort .

I backed up all my older machines this way and this is what I did every time I blew up a computer

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    It worked fine for me migrating from xp to 7 . it's all the same folder and installed components no matter the windows system , there is no reason for it not to work . You'd just need to install mach and the necessary drivers that you currently have installed , then overwrite the folder so that you pass along your configurations and any screen mod's or anything of the sort . I backed up all my older machines this way and this is what I did every time I blew up a computer
    I understand, thanks. As you say I don't see a reason why it will not work so I will give it a try when I'm ready to do the switch.
    Nicolas