586,713 active members*
2,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
SolidCAM Forum
Spindles / VFD > Can I use this 1.5KW VFD with 400W Spindle

Can I use this 1.5KW VFD with 400W Spindle

I bought a 1.5KW watercooled spindle with VFD but it's pretty large (and heavy) for my current setup. In the meantime, I have a 400W spindle I want to start out with. From what I gather, the spindle specs are 12-48VDC and controlled via PWM and apparently uses 18KHz frequency?

The 1.5KW VPD is this one here: New Arrival 220V Ariable Frequency Drive Inverter VFD 1 5KW 2HP Good Warranty ? | eBay

I see output frequency support of 400Hz but also notes using SPWM and has a Frequence Control Range of 0.1~2500.0Hz.

Before going out and buying a 48VDC power supply and PWM specifically for the 400W spindle, should I be able to use one of the 1.5KW china VFDs with it?

Besides the voltage range difference, If your spindle spec states VDC then it cannot be ran from a VFD which is intended for a AC induction motor.
    Is this a DC brushed motor or BLDC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It's very similar to this one: Amazon.com: CNC DC12-48V ER11-400W A Spindle Motor Air-cooled for Router Engraving Machine: Home Improvement

It doesn't mention if it's BLDC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by areinike View Post
    That picture shows two wires on the motor indicating that it is a brushed motor.

How many wires does your 400W motor have?

RT

4 wires, sir. At least that's what the connector on the top of it has. You meant the 1.5KW motor, right? The 400W motor is the one with 2 wires. I went ahead and ordered a 48V power supply and PWM controller for it. The more I think about it, the more I understand how the VFD won't work with it.

Do you have a link for the controller? It is possible it could be for a DC motor and the PWM refers to the PWM switching frequency of the supply?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

if you have on hand an inverter, and you saying you need smaller motor..

I see you already ordered everything.. im sorry I didn't showed you earlier this..

I think the 800 watt spindle approximately the size like the 400 watt in dimensions and in weight..
    and this motor could be driven with your inverter....

With High Quality and Great Performance Water Cooled Spindle Motor 1 5KW Do | eBay

they have warehouse in usa..

my concern is beyond the weight this motor can perform better, also with speed control the 400 wat spindle will be over 120 I think.. so the price difference 40 for a better motor would worth

I have the 1.5KW spindle, just not a robust enough frame to accommodate, yet.

It looks like this is the manual for it: http://www.cnczone.ru/forums/index.p...e=post&id=4180

im sorry..
    I messed up something.. I wanted to post a 800 watt spindle..
    800 watt spindle has 65mm dia

and weighing just half of the 1.5 kw

800W CNC Router Water Cooled Cooling Spindle Motor High Quality | eBay
    =============================================

heres your motor...

CNC 400W Spindle Motor ER11 Power Supply Speed Controller Mount Bracket | eBay

==================================================
    the price for both solution almost same..

since you have the vfd would make sense the watercooled..
    but... you already ordered part for the 400 watt...

Just to clarify things. The 1st motor you show is a DC motor and requires only DC to run. you could hook it up to any DC supply under 48 volts and it will spin. 48VDC = 100% 24VDC =50% 12VDC=25%RPM etc. With this motor you mentioned the mini controller and PWM. This controller takes the 48 volt supply and gives you a speed control or volume knob. If you choose you could hook the INPUT of the mini controller to a PWM output to control the speed (parallel port and Mach 3 for example) This motor will not work with a VFD or AC DRIVE and will die an ugly death if hooked to a VFD.

The 2nd motor is 800W and is a three phase AC motor that runs on a 240 volt AC 400Hz power and speed is controlled by the VFDs output change of the frequency and voltage on each phase of the motor.
    The VFD will probably give you more control and features like ramping and I/O depending on the VFDs features.
    I use a 800W AC spindle from Professional CNC Spindles. Air / Water Cooled CNC Spindle Motors, VFD and an Emerson Control Techniques Commander SK VFD. I am very happy with this setup. (I have been doing factory automation for years so I pretty much know what I wanted already. )

yes dean...

that was my intention.. to comparing the two type motor..
    areinike has a 1.5 kw spindle what is heavy, but he can use the 800 watt what is smaller and fit for his machine..

the 400 watt I posted to comparing prices..

for him, the 800 watt a better deal, because he pays for both same..

the 400 watt with control 170 approx. and the 800 watt also 170 (without control, or vfd) so for him and for this situation the 800 watt is the better deal..

"Before going out and buying a 48VDC power supply and PWM specifically for the 400W spindle, should I be able to use one of the 1.5KW china VFDs with it? "

No this 48 VDC 400 Watt motor will not work with a VFD it is a DC motor and ALL VFD output is AC.
    Your 48 Volt motor will run at 100% rpm with nothing more than the 48VDC power supply. The only reason you will need the mini dc controller (between the motor and 48Vdc supply) is to cut the dc down to control the motor RPM. This little DC speed controller will be controlled with PWM output from a PC parallel port using Mach 3 software.
    I hope this makes since.