586,103 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
SolidCAM Forum
MetalWork Discussion > I need Help with Carbide Tool Nomenclature - Designations

I need Help with Carbide Tool Nomenclature - Designations

I am an 80 year old, retired Chemist, near novice "machinist".
    I have a 9 x 20" ENCO mini-lathe and a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill which I can barely afford to buy tools for.

I had a Machinist friend who taught me a LOT, but he unfortunately passed away a couple
    of years ago. I know enough to be dangerous to myself.

I just ordered a set of Lathe Carbide Bit Holders from E-Bay for $29 plus Tax. I can't afford
    Name Brand Tools.

Here is a photo copied from the seller's posting pictures - attached below..

Here is my problem - ignorance.

I have seen tables of Lathe Tool Holder nomenclature and the "Code" for naming these things.
    I cannot find tables or the Nomenclature or Code for these particular bit holders !
    The system doesn't seem to apply to these Chinese Bits ...... as per usual.

I have the feeling that every manufacturer has their own system of naming these. True ?
    How can I find out what company makes these Carbide Bits ? The seller knows zip !

I believe the Bits are designated JEL - CC09, DC11, TC11, MGMN200 and 16ER
    But I cannot find who makes them or what each one means.

Can someone direct me to the proper website or place so that I can educate myself enough to
    purchase replacement bits ? There are, apparently, thousands of Carbide Bits, Sizes and makers.

Thank for looking at this !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (3).jpg  
    Last edited by RaderSidetrack; 01-11-2024 at 12:52 PM.

Re: I need Help with Carbide Tool Nomenclature - Designations

DC11, TC11 are how some Chinese vendors label the inserts and it's not correct. The proper designation is something like DCMT11T302N
    There are two different naming systems, ANSI and ISO. ISO is more common.
    The basic inserts are all covered here.
    https://littlemachineshop.com/info/insert_charts.php

Some like threading have a different naming convention Your 16ER is probably something like 16ER-AG60
    For those you will probably have to check a manufacturers catalog. They designations are all standardized but you get into different thread pitch ranges and full profile vs partial profile.
    https://www.iscar.com/Catalogs/publi...2-p635-848.pdf