Always wanted an ATC on my X2D build, so started making one in fusion and then 3d printed it to get an idea of whether it would work or not. This seems to be a common engineering practice, namely to use 3d printing to check designs, see if all the components fit and also if you can put it together and also take it apart again (if you have ever working on a car and had to remove pretty much everything to get at that one bolt then you know exactly what I mean!). Anyway, all components bar the 3d printed stuff are off-the-shelf and I used ac actuator rather than an air cylinder, as really I was just curious and I thought it might be easier. After building it my criticism is that I feel it is a little slow, but we shall see how I feel about it when I have remade it in T6061 and it is installed on the actual machine.

The rail will get shortened also, this was as close to the length I needed that I could buy without making it a special order. The motor is small but geared and has non problems turning the full carousel, I thought that that might be an issue. However, it might be nice to change it to a geared servo, you can run them as just motors without requiring a board so that you can add a potentiometer and get control over the speed, basically you could speed up the rotation. I'm just trying to keep things simple. This will be connected to an Acorn board eventually. It has taken me about 3 weeks to design and print it, like all projects I wonder how long it will take to actually get this on a machine...

I might 'hollow' out the backing plate, basically I want to make it as light as possible so that it doesn't drag on the column.

Here is a link to it in basic test mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_hbRXSj94s