588,316 active members*
4,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
VDW - Banner
VDW Forum
Autodesk > Could really do with some advice about cutting slots where you don't have the option

Could really do with some advice about cutting slots where you don't have the option

Hi, wording if I could get some advice on how to approach a slot like this where I have to plunge into the part, rather than feed into it from the side.

Using Fusion 360, the slot is 1/8" and was planning to use a 1/8" endmill, but a bit worried as I can't do a helix into the part like I would with a simple pocket. so wanted to know how best to tackle this.

Is using a 1/8" endmill a terrible idea for a 1/8" slot, and are there pros and cons of using say a slotting tool path over a trace tool path?

The initial plunge is what has me worried.

Re: Could really do with some advice about cutting slots where you don't have the opt

Some programs let you ramp into a slot, on a straight trajectory rather than a helix. It's usually better to use a tool that's smaller than the intended slot, so the whole thing isn't cut by a tool cutting on both sides at once. Using a smaller tool lets you do a cleanup pass, so you get better cuts on the sides.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Could really do with some advice about cutting slots where you don't have the opt

Plunging directly down does tend to make the cutter wobble ( oversize at the plunge area).

Instead of a helix entry, try ramping to a shallow depth, then do cut the slot level, before ramping to next depth, and repeating.
    Ie "zig" with no "zag"
    This should be done with cutters capable of end cutting, and there is a maximum angle they can ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Some programs let you ramp into a slot, on a straight trajectory rather than a helix. It's usually better to use a tool that's smaller than the intended slot, so the whole thing isn't cut by a tool cutting on both sides at once. Using a smaller tool lets you do a cleanup pass, so you get better cuts on the sides.
    Thank you, any chance you could tell me how to do that in Fusion 360?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Plunging directly down does tend to make the cutter wobble ( oversize at the plunge area).

Instead of a helix entry, try ramping to a shallow depth, then do cut the slot level, before ramping to next depth, and repeating.
    Ie "zig" with no "zag"
    This should be done with cutters capable of end cutting, and there is a maximum angle they can ramp.
    Thank you, found the Ramp option in Fusion 360, but when I simulate it just goes straight in and dose the DOC, no ramping.....what am I doing wrong?

Hi,
    do you have a paid subscription to Fusion? My Fusion Ramping feature looks like this:

Note how it has a Ramping Angle an a Max Ramping Step, both of which can be manipulated to get the desired ramp properties.

Craig

Ahhh thank you, yes I get that option if I set it up as a 2D contour rather than doing it as a 2D slot.

....but I keep seeming to get an empty toolpath when clicking on the pocket.

Hi,
    if you want to use a pocket or a contour then the slot has to be a little wider than the tool.

if the tool is 3.125mm (1/8th) then draw the slot 3.2mm. Then a Contour will create a toolpath down one side of the slot and back down the other side.
    The difference need only be 0.05mm or so, but it is enough for Fusion to decide that yes it can create a Contour toolpath.

Craig

Thanks Craig, will do that. Really appreciate you taking the time to help!