586,058 active members*
4,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > Aerotech A3200 Software Control using CNC Operator Interface via Firewire

Aerotech A3200 Software Control using CNC Operator Interface via Firewire

Hoping someone is familiar with Aerotech's CNC Operator Interface software.

Anyone set up a multi axis system?

Anyone currently using this software?

Anyone doing any milling?

4-Axis Milling?

Link to Aerotech software:

Aerotech | Dedicated to the Science of Motion

Not much feedback on CNCZone when it come to working with the A3200 interface.

Appreciate any input!

Re: Aerotech A3200 Software Control using CNC Operator Interface via Firewire

It's very quiet in the Aerotech A3200 CNC world!

I have used Aerotech motors and drives, although it looks quite impressive,I have never seen much activity for the Controller though.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al

Thanks for the reply post.

Hi,

Don't know if this is still active but...

I've used the A3200 for several multi axis systems. Mostly laser processing. I'm currently using this for motion control on two machines, one of which is a 3 axis milling centre with a load/unload robot.

The big advantage of this control system is the massive flexibility. Up to 32 axis control, ability to control galvo's for laser steering and stages with nanometer precision. The control language is a mix of standard gcode and aerobasic which allows you to very easily write control routines for automating very complex machinery. You can also write C or Vb front ends to control the software. The control language is the main reason I use this system.

The downside... Being incredibly flexible and capable always seems to come at a cost. The software and hardware components are not cheap. Setting the controller and drives up can best be described as challenging. Bear in mind that this software is designed to control any combination of motor and stage ever devised. If you haven't dealt with this sort of control before you will have a serious learning curve.

The support from Aerotech can be hit and miss. They have some very experienced people who can get to the problem straight away. But if they're unavailable at the time and you end up talking to the wrong person you're screwed. Documentation is odd in that all the information you will ever need is there
    . Finding it is a different story.

If you are doing a fully automated machine requiring complex logical control then in my opinion this is a good alternative to a motion plc system.
    If you're just after basic cnc control for milling with toolchange setup then there are easier and cheaper options.

I've used planetcnc controllers in a few machines and have been impressed with the performance for the low cost.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your insight into Aerotech's A3200 motion control systems.

Did you use Aerotech's CNC operator interface on your 3 axis milling machine?

Quote Originally Posted by jdr View Post
    Hi Kevin

Thanks for your insight into Aerotech's A3200 motion control systems.

Did you use Aerotech's CNC operator interface on your 3 axis milling machine?
    No, I haven't used the optional cnc operator interface yet. Most of my machines are designed to run a single part or variations on a theme and have their own interface written.

I expect the cnc interface would make it easier to load and setup operations in a more user friendly way.

The 'motion composer' application included with the A3200 allows me to do what I need. (Gcode operations embedded within logical control programs)

I would suggest asking Aerotech for a reference site where you can see the interface working in a standard cnc machining operation. At least then you can decide if this meets your needs.

If you just want to run a standard cnc mill or lathe then use something else and preserve your sanity. If you need to do in-line parts measurement, incorporate laser marking or create a user interface to idiot-proof the machine then this is a great tool.

Regards.

Kevin