586,068 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > air treatment questions for new Hypertherm Powermax 85

air treatment questions for new Hypertherm Powermax 85

i am involved with a small metal fab shop. In the Summer we bought a new Plasmacam DHC2 4X4. This fall we purchased a new Hypertherm Powermax 85 with both handheld and machine torches. I am now actually trying to get this stuff up and running! I know this question has been beat to the ground, however, I have read quite a few articles on line ( mostly by Jim Colt ) that are very instructive and educational. I think my problem is too much information. During this entire project time of getting this equipment together, I have been scouring Craigslist, garage sales and swap meets and have gathered a respectable pile of STUFF. I'm now trying to get direction on the order in which to install said STUFF! I have:

Devilbiss DAD-500 consists of 1st stage water separator (5 mic),2nd stage coalescing (.01 mic),Desiccant tank, guage & regulator

Motor guard MT60

SPX hankison HPRP 25 -115 air dryer

Auto drain for compressor tank (ordered this morning)

If there is anything else I need, I'll get it. I just want the hypermax to get the best air I can give it to save on expendables, cut as good as it is capable of (not considering cockpit error!) and to last as long as I do ( I'm 70).

In your opinion, in what order should I put this stuff together. I am running a new dedicated PVC line from the compressor directly to the plasma machine. It's approximately 30' between the two. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and suggestions. Jay

Re: air treatment questions for new Hypertherm Powermax 85

Sounds like you got everything that you'll need to keep your air clean and dry. This will greatly help your cut quality and consumable life out big time!

If you haven't, I strongly encourage you to check out plasmacam's owners community. It is a fantastic resource for all plasmacam owners and in it you'll find a ton of information on all things related to plasmacam. Also, your video manual (that came with your machine) you'll come to realize also has a lot of good information in it as well and contains information on just about anything that you'll encounter with your plasmacam.

One recommendation that I can give you is to follow the ISO 8573.1 Installation Guide for air quality. This will give you really good idea on how to do it properly. Also, items of air filter quality; you can also reference ISO 125000. Definitely some very good information if you review both specs.

Attachment 305518

I personally chose to use copper airline instead of PVC (after hearing about someone’s shop having PVC airlines that literally blew apart one day). It is entirely up to you on that one, though.

The SPX hankison HPRP air dryers seem to fabulously engineered (once my HF Refrigerated dryer goes out, it will be at the op of the list). I do not use a motorgurad, but some I know does on his plasmacam, and he likes it. Apparently they make one that is specifically designed for the CFMs that are required for plasma cutting. Seems pretty interesting, but I am not sure that I really need one, since I filter my shop air with a Jet Air Filtration System which keeps my all my shop air virtually practical free.

Good luck Brother!

JAG

Thanks, Mac! I joined the Community. Hopefully, starting to make sparks Saturday morning.
    Jay

Awesome Brother!

The plasmacam has been life changing for me and I hope it is for you too. The most exciting part (for me) is seeing the machine materialize your idea in a flash!

Keep us posted.

JAG

Well, there's always something! I finished the air supply system and it seems to be working wonderful. I had issues with the parallel card in the computer ( too wimpy ), so talked to support at PlasmaCam and they steered me in the right direction, so hopefully we solved that issue. I originally wired the Hypertherm for the hand held torch, because I had failed to order the mounting bracket for the machine torch ( ordered both torches when I ordered the machine). I am now wanting to wire for the machine torch and for some reason (old age, medicine not working,or plain confused!), I can not seem to understand which end of the wires of the remote switch, go to ( I presume ) the purple wire to which I had spliced the handheld torch. Do I take the red and black wires coming from the machine towards the remote plug, run them to the purple wire so the processor thinks it is seeing the torch all the time? It was reasonably easy for me to understand the hand held torch with the switch in the handle, but this is just kicking me! I'm excited about this stuff because we are starting to get a couple of small orders from some local fabricators! However, I'm still trying to get this equipment up and working. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Jay

More research! Seems if I take the wires from pins 3 and 4 on the remote on/off switch plug and run them to the purple wires, that were used for the hand torch, I'll be "good to go" on that aspect of this adventure. Does that sound correct? Thanks in advance, Jay
    I Should have spent more time looking at that manual and only try to figure out technical issues first thing in the morning before my brain gets tired!

PlasmaCAM's video manual is key and essential to everything related to the system. It is really well put together and extremely easy to follow.

By following it will definitely keep you out of hot water, BIG TIME and prevent you from making some really bad mistakes that just end up wasting your time.

As long as you follow it, it will get you'll exactly where you need to and cutting in no time. I still use it to reference stuff that I may have forgotten about the machine in past. There is a ton of useful information with in it. Also, using the keyword search function within the video manual can be helpful for searching certain topics as well.

Good luck brother!

JAG

Sorry I did not catch this sooner. The start signal for the machine torch must connect to the wires on pins 3 and 4 of the CPC connector. Some have spliced into these connections inside the Power supply (especially if you are using the supplied Plasmacam cable). The White / Black pair from the plasmacam cable simply connect to pins 3 and 4.....not polarity dependent, so doesn't matter which is 3 or 4. If you cut wires (purple wires) that bypass the hand torch safety trigger circuit....you will need to reconnect them as they originally were. Leave the Red / Black pair (plasmacam cable) connected on the main PC board...these are the voltage sensing connections used for the Plasmacam height control.

With the above setup.....you can simply unplug the machine torch (leave it permanently mounted on the Plasmacam) and plug in the hand torch for hand cutting. No need to disconnect the interface cable from the Plasmacam......when the hand torch is plugged in it will only fire from its trigger switch.

There is another , easier way to interface the Powermax65 or 85 to a Plasmacam. Purchase the plug and play cable from PJ Metal Fab & Design , one end plugs into the CPC port on the Powermax, the other end into the control box on the Plasmacam. With this method there is no internal wiring in the Powermax unit....and no permanently wired cable that you need to carry around with you when you want to use the Powermax away from the Plasmacam.....simply unplug the Plugand Play cable from the Powermax.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by JayG View Post
    More research! Seems if I take the wires from pins 3 and 4 on the remote on/off switch plug and run them to the purple wires, that were used for the hand torch, I'll be "good to go" on that aspect of this adventure. Does that sound correct? Thanks in advance, Jay
    I Should have spent more time looking at that manual and only try to figure out technical issues first thing in the morning before my brain gets tired!

Another thing.....your air treatment is definitely overkill, but will work just fine as long as your string of driers and filters do not drop too much pressure! I suggest adding a pressure gauge hard plumbed to the air inlet of the Powermax, after all the filters. When air is flowing at the torch you will see this gauge drop a bit (as compared to a pressure gauge back at your compressor)....this is due to restrictions in air flow that various filters, dryers and coalescing filters naturally provide. As the filters eventually start doing their jobs (assuming you have any moisture in your lines)....the pressure drop will increase. The plasma, for best performance.....requires between 90 and 135 psi at all times at the inlet....this must be measured when air is flowing at the torch.

In most applications an auto drain on the compressor is adequate with a Hypertherm Powermax system.....as the Powermax has a built in coalescing filtration unit with an auto drain.....unless you live in a region with extremely high humidity levels.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Thanks for the information Mac and Jim! I thought was trying to follow the Plasmacam video, but it is primarily geared to the hand torch. I drew the diagram the wiring, as I understood it, with the purple wire and hand torch. Once I drew the diagram ( I had been trying to do this in my head! ) I figured it out pretty quickly (exactly as Jim described it). Still had some kind of issue. Had a local guy, who has had his Plasmacam since 2008( one of the reasons I bought a Plasmacam ), stop by Tuesday morning to give me a hand. He indicated everything appeared to be set correctly but still wouldn't function. He indicated "mine does that sometime". Powered everything off, powered everything back up, GOOD to GO! Later that morning I cut two small flanges for Honda drag bike headers! I was like Snoopy doing his "Happy Friday" dance! You'd have thought I just hit the lottery, if you had walked in my shop door. I will add a pressure gauge at the Hypermax and monitor the pressure when cutting. I ordered a bunch of Fine Cut stuff the other day and waiting for it to come in. Planning on making a steel/aluminum sheet run Monday. Thanks again, Jay.