586,035 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL-30 CONVEYOR PROBLEMS

I'm just wondering if anyone else has problems with their haas sl30 or similar lathe with the auger style conveyor. I have replaced the chute, and it still won't evacuate the chips. The entire end of the machine will flex, but the auger will run for a little bit, then reverse, then back and forth before just shutting off. I purchased this machine used but I like the machine very much except for the chip auger. I also noticed that the auger looked very messed up on the end when I changed the chute, and it did not protrude beyond the end of the machine. This allowed the auger to move all around and it did not stay in place. I made a spacer to extend the auger where the chute would contain it and now it seems to run better, but it seems like it really struggles to push the chips up the chute. I am not sure if the end of the auger has been cut off or something and maybe the end is supposed to have a shape that helps push the chips up the chute. I wouldn't mind buying a new auger, but I hate to purchase that just to find out that it doesn't make any difference.

Re: SL-30 CONVEYOR PROBLEMS

Most haas lathes now use belt conveyors.

Re: SL-30 CONVEYOR PROBLEMS

Something is overloading the auger, or the driver/motor is bad. When it runs, then reverses, its because the machine is picking up too much load on the motor and it thinks the auger is clogged so it changes directions back and forth a few times.