586,416 active members*
3,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
FANUC Forum
Milltronics > Working to get VM16 up and running

Working to get VM16 up and running

Hello all, I need a little help. I am a new owner of a 1997 VM16 with a Centurion VI control and could use a little help. The machine had a bad CMOS battery in the Dallas chip. It wouldn't let me move past that portion of the bootup so I have went thorough and replaced the chip with a socket to help with any future need to replace. I was able to put everything back in and connected but now it is giving me a "operating system not found" error. What is the best way to mitigate this condition to get it up and running. I would like to keep the Centurion control and could use some expertise.

Also, from what I can tell, these machines can be ran on single phase. I have a Rotary phase converter but if I can just plug this into the wall, that would be even better. I understand that it would be de-rated, and thats OK. The machine is a VM16 Series B serial number 4173 manufactured 7-14. From reading on another post, It looks like I can connect the lines to L1 and L3. But there was talk of a jumper...is that just a jumper wire from L1 to L2?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Working to get VM16 up and running

Quote Originally Posted by hods1222 View Post
    Hello all, I need a little help. I am a new owner of a 1997 VM16 with a Centurion VI control and could use a little help. The machine had a bad CMOS battery in the Dallas chip. It wouldn't let me move past that portion of the bootup so I have went thorough and replaced the chip with a socket to help with any future need to replace. I was able to put everything back in and connected but now it is giving me a "operating system not found" error. What is the best way to mitigate this condition to get it up and running. I would like to keep the Centurion control and could use some expertise.

Also, from what I can tell, these machines can be ran on single phase. I have a Rotary phase converter but if I can just plug this into the wall, that would be even better. I understand that it would be de-rated, and thats OK. The machine is a VM16 Series B serial number 4173 manufactured 7-14. From reading on another post, It looks like I can connect the lines to L1 and L3. But there was talk of a jumper...is that just a jumper wire from L1 to L2?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    This VM16 machine is too old now, even these two problem solved but many problem could coming on the way.
    But the machine body should be still good, better change a new CNC retrofit package.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

...I think the 1st thing needed is to hookup a Keyboard to get into the BIOS settings. Older big 5 pin DIN plug or PS/2 somewhere on the PC. Then, see what needs to be changed to boot from HDD most likely will fix evrything.

DJ

Attachment 497592

I have the adapter and an old keyboard and have been in the bios to set the clock and date. Is there a particular place where I can make changes in the bios to have it do what it needs to? I changed the boot sequence from: “A: to C:” to “C: to A:” that didn’t seem to fix it.

From the looks of it based on other posts these machines ran 6.22, would I need to get a 6.22 boot disc to get it started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...no boot disk needed I don't think. and yes, on the 1st page with Date/Time of the BIOS scroll down to highlight the 1st HDD or C: drive (I forget exactly) then, hit Enter key to Auto Detect for HDD,Compat Flash drive etc.. If, it finds something it will show up what it is mfg size etc....then Hit F10 and answer Y to Save and exit...for reboot...

Success!!!! So I went into the bios again and there was another line talking about boot sequence and it was directing it to the A: I changed it to look for the HDD and it booted to the centurion position screen. It is giving me a 450 error now, which makes me think I have a stuck limit switch. I will investigate further on that front. Thanks for all the help, machineshop5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...that's great to hear. You're welcome....Now you should do a Backup of the Files and Parameters to something other than the hdd...2 or 3 off site backups of diffident media is the best. I don't think the files are very big...Nice work finding the bios setting...most people would be lost looking for the keyboard plug...

Keep us informed,
    DJ