586,106 active members*
3,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
FANUC Forum
Okuma > tool change question

tool change question

i have used a few fadals but am 100% new to okumas... i just got an okuma 4020 cadet with ops5020m control.. if i type a tool change example. (T02M06) the machine goes for a tool change but all it does is release the the tool into the atc and then the atc doesnt index for the next tool and the spindle just stays put like its waiting for me to insert a tool...... p.s. i am trying this with no tools in the spindle or in the atc... pretty sure i am doing something wrong.... help would be awesome thanks guys

Wink Smart Okuma

The Okuma's check to make sure there isn't a tool in the ATC or spindle where it is trying to place the tool. Since it does that, the reverse is true also. It will not do a tool change without a tool in one or the other depending on which way you are going.

Although it is possible to override it with parameters, it is easier to manually put a tool into the spindle and then use the tool change to store it into the ATC.

I think it's M63 that will tell it no next tool. If you can get at the ATC easily, just put the holders into the magazine, make sure they are active in the tool data and then call them into the spindle using T1M6 etc.

If you still have trouble, switch to the diagnostic screen and it should tell you what it is waiting on. If the condition isn't satisfied within about 3 minutes, you'll get an ATC alarm with a code describing the problem.

Words of wisdom, do not power off the machine in order to try to "reset" the ATC. You will get it stuck because it will lose the spindle orientation and will not be able to one step advance or retract once that has happened.

Good luck and let me know if you want a Macro that can simplify tool changes. It's complex to install, but eliminates 90% of the tool change problems such as the 'same tool" alarm. We've been trying to get Okuma to make it standard, but to no avail...Yet!

thats what i was doing before.. i would just load the tool manually into the spindle. my next question would be then is how do i get the last tool out of the magazine through the spindle?

Okuma's do detect if a tool is present in the toolchanger, plus it also knows what is in the spindle and what is in the toolchanger.

if loading a tool that is not known to the machine, it will tell you

Empty the spindle, clamp the spindle
    then in MDI , T2 M6 <write> <cycle start>

also look at the "Tool Data" page, opens to H and D " offsets page" use the F keys to get to "Pots by Tool No" page, this shows what is in the toolchanger and in what pot # . Use this page to place tools dirrectly into the toolchanger, set their lengths and offsets on the "Tool Offsets" page, then MDI the tool into the spindle

I think you can only change the tool # in a certain pot in the "Tools by Pot No" page,
    and in the manual toolchange page in the "next" or "active" station

im still having a little trouble... how do i do a tool change if there is no tools in the magazine or in the spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by guydrisc View Post
    im still having a little trouble... how do i do a tool change if there is no tools in the magazine or in the spindle?
    I think you want to know how to get tools in and out of the magazine. If I am wrong feel free to correct me. You push them into the pot, and pry them out.

And there are some M codes to complete a toolchange without tools. If you search this forum there is a thread that I remember we discussed it. I think the codes are M46 and M47 but I am probably wrong. Superman or Okumawiz will probably correct me.

Robert

Do you have manuals ( Operation ) ?

Maybe the best starting point is through the ATC interface in "MANUAL Mode"

-Put the machine into manual.
    -Push ATC (F-key) , should bring up a screen showing "Active Tool", "Next Tool" and Pot Number"
    -Push <Extend>
    -Push "Tool Set" (F2-key)--this brings up the "tools by pot number" screen, with the pot#--> tool# on the LH side,

-using this screen on the RH side and the <1 Cycle Start>
    into these 3 areas you can <set> # for toolchange operations

Pot# ( designates which pot to place the active tool into)
    Active tool ( current tool in spindle )( you can atler the tool# here also)
    Next Tool ( <set> #, then <1 Cycle Start> or MDI M6 to place this tool into spindle), Next tool is the pre-select stage, to un-select M63 is used

MDI Examples
    T2M6 ( bring in T2 )
    T3 ( pre-select next tool T3)
    M63 ( return next tool back to magazine )
    T4 ( pre-select T4 )
    M6 ( bring in pre-selected tool )

This will create error
    T2M6
    T3
    T4M6 ( T4 cannot come in as T3 is ready for next tool)

This should start you off OK

- i put the machine in manual
    - atc/apc (f-key)
    - when i push (extend) the only options i have is (diagnose)and (message)..
    there is no (tool set) button or anything...

OK, we have OSP5000M, and 7000M

both have the screens I described
    F2=Tool Set
    F3=Tool Display
    F4=Personal
    F5=Diagonsis
    F7=Message

If you have the operation manual
    look for "Manual Operation Functions"---"ATC"

this (hopefully) should put you in the correct area

ya mine doesnt show

F2=Tool Set
    F3=Tool Display
    F4=Personal

all it shows is the diagnose and the message..
    i bought this machine used. could there be a wrong setting or maybe something wrong with the machine?

Manuals ???

ya i got all the manuals

Do you get an empty pot in the toolchanger ??

you absolutely need one pot that is "NA" (no tool assign) to get it work

Let's start over, please. What You want to do and what (error message) You get?
    what diagnostic is saying?
    if You have empty tool chain, check, if tool definitions says the same - no tool in the pockets.
    if You want to set tools (install into magazine), do this according manual.

Re: tool change question

Quote Originally Posted by guydrisc View Post
    Go to atc check active tool should be tool 1 then mdi m6 t2 it should put tool 1 away and pick up tool 2 from the carousel.
    Make sure tool 2 Is in the carousel.