6,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
HAINBUCH GMBH - Banner
HAINBUCH GMBH Forum

SPANNENDE TECHNIK

Machines running Mach Software > Using Mach for a laser

Using Mach for a laser

Well not having much luck getting the laser to work off M0 codes or using plasma setting. The only thing that is working is using the z for on off control, BUT that is a pain. When the machine is at the home position and I cycle start the program the z moves down, which in turn turns on the laser. NOT good being that I don't have a z axis, so I have to manually turn on the PSU before the machine starts to cut. Any suggestions?

Hi Paul,
    I suggest you post your questions to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/messages

There, Art can guide you to make full use of Mach. AND if you show your needs, Art can incorporate them into Mach.

You just may be the one to provide insight for Art in adding features specifically for Laser operation.

Bloy

Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004
    Hi Paul,
    I suggest you post your questions to http://groupyahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/messages

There, Art can guide you to make full use of Mach. AND if you show your needs, Art can incorporate them into Mach.

You just may be the one to provide insight for Art in adding features specifically for Laser operation.

Bloy

Thanks Bloy, But no thanks, I refuse to use yahoo, I stopped using that site 3 yrs ago.

just login and set it up as a list server to deliver to your email. then set a filter up on your email proggie to drop them in a folder. Never see Yahoo.

You can email art directly for support. Link on his website.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    Well not having much luck getting the laser to work off M0 codes or using plasma setting. The only thing that is working is using the z for on off control, BUT that is a pain. When the machine is at the home position and I cycle start the program the z moves down, which in turn turns on the laser. NOT good being that I don't have a z axis, so I have to manually turn on the PSU before the machine starts to cut. Any suggestions?
    HELLO Paul,
    You should beable to use any of the other ouputs to turn on the laser. You can put the code in the M3, M4 and M5 macro's. If you can tell me a little more about it and I can help you with the code.

I know we can get this to work

Brian Barker
    www.newfangledsolutions.com

Cool, I'm using SheetCam and Mach together. Here is what I need it to do-

1) turn laser on and off
    2) be able to set the frequency via PWM as my PSU has a TTL
    3) When cycle start, laser stays off during a G00 move
    4) would like for it to go the safe home after the last cut

Paul:

Well, the PWM issue shoudl be automatic if Laser Spoindle mode is selected, so I think all you really need to do is make a special Macro to turn it on and off. Since M3 will turn it on automatically, (of course if the code is written for a router, then G0's woudlnt have it runnign anyway..). Actually, depending on how you do the code,you shoudl be OK, if the code is generated with M3's and M5's that turn the lasr on and off to cut entities, then it shodu have no turn on/off issue..
    I woudl set the laser on not to the 2.5D Z, but to the spinlde on/off pin, that woudl make it work fine, you just have to make sure the program is a normal router program with no Z movement at all if you wish. The PWM laser triggers shoudl then be OK, and the laser shoudl only be on when a router would have been. Any reaosn why you set it to turn on by the 2.5d Z signal?

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Thanks Art for you time,
    I'm using the z signal because that is the only one that works, setting it on the spindle pins, does nothing. Even when I press the spindle button the laser will not turn on, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can figure it out. In the set-up page I select the spindle control and PWM, than I set the pin number that I have the control contented to on my break out board. Manually I press the spindle control button and nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    Thanks Art for you time,
    I'm using the z signal because that is the only one that works, setting it on the spindle pins, does nothing. Even when I press the spindle button the laser will not turn on, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can figure it out. In the set-up page I select the spindle control and PWM, than I set the pin number that I have the control contented to on my break out board. Manually I press the spindle control button and nothing happens.

There are some settings that you have to set on the ports and pins page. If you would like to send me your XML I will have a look at it and send it back to you

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Barker806
    There are some settings that you have to set on the ports and pins page. If you would like to send me your XML I will have a look at it and send it back to you

Brian

That would be great! I'll do that today.